Author Topic: Players ganging up on the Referee  (Read 6269 times)

wilko559

• View Profile
Players ganging up on the Referee
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
Why do players gang up on the referee? I can't myself see what it archives you can't change the refs mind after he's seen something. All comments should go through the team captain like in rugby.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
Re: Players ganging up on the Referee
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
It works for the big clubs. It is a disgraceful ploy but one that is regularly used. Arsenal and Man utd are the two main teams that spring to mind for it.

wilko559

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
To be honest games would flow alot better if the ref made a point of telling the players to come through there captains rarther than forming a circle around the referee.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:03:08 PM »
Officially, it is the captain who can speak to the referee - as well as the purpetrator. We've had the silly situation this season of a referee calling over Kevin Austin, to tell him to calm Jason Lee down on the pitch!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

wilko559

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
I think football refs should take a few tips from rugby refs. They seem to have more control of the game and disipline players better. But that's my point of view.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
Rugby players call the ref 'sir'. Can't see that happening in blue square north

wilko559

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:33:14 AM »
Yeah but still shows the respect football players have lost for the referee

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
When was the last time you saw a footballer land a deliberate punch on an apponent and stay on the pitch? hardly ever. When was the last time you saw a rugby player land a deliberate punch on an apponent and get sent off? hardly ever. If footballers behaved in the same way as rugby players there would hardly be any finished games. Two completely different games that are ref'd completely different.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
For me there are two main reasons why Rugby ref's are shown more respect. Firstly alot of them are ex players which automatically proves to the players that they know and understand the game also arguably making them better at their job, remember respect in all walks of life is something that is earnt. Poor performance results in low levels of respect. Secondly football is a 'working mans' game generally the sport of the lower/middle classes and rugby is followed by the upper classes.   

truthsayer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:05:25 AM »
I agree that like rugby, Referees should be shown the same respect. In my days of playing junior rugby it was drilled into us that you address the ref as "Sir"

On more than one occasion players were asked to leave the field of play and calm down for being rude to the ref, offering backchat  or arguing a decision.

The reson i feel that football players have no respect for Refs is because they are overpaid spoilt children who are to used to getting their own way.

A change amongst refs where the minute a player becomes abusive or rude, and is shown a red card would send a firm message that referees should be obeyed and respected.

Overnight the game would change and refs would be able to control the game, not have to deal with silly little boys

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
If rugby players were sent off instead of being sin binned for 10 minutes you would soon see a change in attitude towards the ref and like wise if footballers were sin binned you might see less arguing and ref surrounding.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

wilko559

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
Rugby players do occationally gang up on the referee but football players do lack the respect rugby players have for the ref.

stephen19

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »
Football players should take a leaf out of rugby players book. The football players need to learn to respect the ref, he still wont change his mind even if they all gang up on him. It also slows down the game.  :bunny

Scots Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
just picking the ball up and walking 10 yards closer to their own goal may make them think twice before opening their big gobs

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »
Scots pilgrim, wasnt this rule introduced a few yerars ago but was never carried through by the officials at any level?