Author Topic: Formation  (Read 4169 times)

woad_pilgrim

Formation
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »
Having listened to both of JL's interviews and his talk of playing football in a 4-3-3, what do people think is our best formation? Also what players best fit?

Personally I think we look much better when not lobbing long balls to JL, which begs the question if we're playing passing football why is he still playing as it doesn't suit his style?

I also think it'd be of benefit if either he or Canners retired from playing to concentrate on playing, probably better if both. This is also backed up by saying he is struglling to see what is going wrong as he is playing, for me it's a must to have a least 1 of them on the sidelines at all times.

So if 4-3-3 I'd go with this against Bishop Storford:

Bastock

Jelly (if fit, if not Stainfield)          Austin           Ward             J Fairclough

Hall            Ross           Sleath

Semps        Newsham     Constantine/Kirk

If it's not working we can always bring JL on and switch to long ball 4-4-2, if it is but need more pace we have B Fairclough or Tony Edwards. I think that'd give us a bit more natural width with even with a front 3.

If we go 4-4-2 drop Semps wide right and play Hall/Kirk wide left and leave Newsh and Constantine up front. Again bring JL on if it isn't working.

Seenbetter

Re: Formation
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 12:31:07 AM »
Hate to say this but as we live in a country of free speech until the Brigade of Political Correctness dictates otherwise I'm pleased I can, the number of folks who really give a monkeys is fast dwindling.
Did anyone else hear the warning announced on tv just before they started showing the Dambusters film yesterday. They warned that the film Contained Language That Some People Might Find Offensive. We all know the one word referred to. You never hear the dog complaining about his name. There was a film called Housewife 59 on tv last week in which the word Simbo, or something like that I think, was used but no health warning was given before that film.
I really do admire your enthusiasm WP. Less than a thousand there on Saturday. Just going to look for some Happiness  medicine. Sorry, on a bit of a low, saw the macarooney score two goals against a side that would have wupped their bottoms if they had kept 11 men on the pitch. Oh yes, nearly forgot, my grass needs cutting.   :santa

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:30:47 AM »
Agree Seeingbetter! Any chance you can cut my lawn ASAP ?

Bartmac

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
Whoa, hang on there chaps, the bloke is trying to start a viable topic and along come the sh*theads to knock him down, if you can't think of a "topic following" comment then don't comment at all.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
Going forward we were much better against Corby and Eastwood both home and away because Ross was given a 'free role' in front of Sleath and Milnes who are both good holding midfielders and only attacking from one flank at a time. Milnes injury seems to have disrupted the balance a bit as Hall doesn't have the same attributes as Milnes and there isn't really anyone else in the squad who can play in the middle. The defence is really struggling at the moment and lacks the guidance of Alan White. J Fairclough isn't good enough IMO at the moment and has cost us too many points with silly mistakes recently such as both of the goals at Eastwood. I agree with WP that we need a manager on the bench so for me JL should sit it out Tuesday and give Newsham and Constantine a chance. Hopefully Jellyman will soon be fit again which will go along to keeping clean sheets again, line-up when fit:

Bastock

Cannovile                      Ward                                           Austin                      Jellyman

Milnes                                           Sleath

Semple                                           Ross

Newsham
                                                                  Constantine

Only Milnes likely to be missing against Bishop stortford is Liam Parker fit? as he played that role ok for S and H a couple of times.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »
Carl I have a feeling that Craig said on United Live the other day that Liam Parker may be out for the season. A real shame as I think we have missed him this season - not as a first choice defender but as a reserve/sub who comes in and doesn't let us down

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »
Carl I have a feeling that Craig said on United Live the other day that Liam Parker may be out for the season. A real shame as I think we have missed him this season - not as a first choice defender but as a reserve/sub who comes in and doesn't let us down

He did I doubt he'll play for us again let alone the end of the season

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
Real shame, a genuine hardworking player, never the most gifted but did the simple things well.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
Bazza
Fairclough ward Austin jellyman
Semple Hall Sleath Kirk
          Lee Newsham

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »
For Tuesday only

Dracula( Bazza)

Hall          Ward        Austin       Jellyman(if fit or Field)

Semple        Sleath       Ross      Ben Fairclough

Newsham       Lee

Subs  Kirk (on after 60 mins) Fairclough Constantine, Stainfield, Neil Thompson (late signing)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:53:10 PM by dt woodhall »

Seenbetter

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
Hi everyone. Shithead here. Everyone but Bartmac that is, not speaking to him/her ever again. Don,t know him/her, never cursed him/her before, never abused him/her before and yet the tosser thinks it,s ok to call someone, anyone, a shithead. Think I will stop now before I put down something he/she can read.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
I would play Semple at right back (pretty sure he's played at least as a wing back before), get Milson back to play a holding role with Sleath and let Ross and Newsham roam behind Lee and Constantine. The full backs would essentially be playing as wing backs, the holding midfielders would cover (both Milson and Sleath have played full back before).
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/