Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S ATTENDANCE  (Read 6407 times)

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
YESTERDAY'S ATTENDANCE
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

All the talk about how low the crowd was yesterday - according to Teletext we had the biggest attendance in BSN!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: YESTERDAY'S ATTENDANCE
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »
Thou should not compare oneself to others but to the best one can do.

It does however seem that the whole of the BSN is having on average less through the gates than last year.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
Pretty low by the standards we set in the last couple of years, even when we were struggling in the unidump we still managed to keep it in four figures IIRC.

milo1972

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 02:12:26 PM »
The dark days of the mid-nineties saw us struggling to get crowds of 700 at York Street. I hope there is no repeat of them back at Boston. A good trophy run is definitely needed to keep the locals interested.

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/non-league-attendances-take-hit

It's been happening for a while, BUFC are not immune   :(
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
Whilst performance on the pitch haven't been as good as last year that is only half the problem. Unemployed in Boston is rising and the £1 price rise may have put some people off.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
07/08 was a unique season Patrick, the town rallied behind the club fantastically.

But it only takes one bad season to undo that goodwill.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »

I do think that this league is noticably weaker than in previous seasons though so that could also explain the discontent with our current form.

If we had last season's team this year we would be laughing all the way to the Blue Square Premier.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
07/08 was a unique season Patrick, the town rallied behind the club fantastically.

But it only takes one bad season to undo that goodwill.
We had that bad season, when we nearly got relegated out of the UniBond! This season is positively spectacular compared to that one (yet uninspiring after the last two seasons' pleasures)...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Ah, cant comment too much on the Unibond season as there was loads going in my life away from football and attending games was a luxury......I think I made 6 home games all season. But what I saw was generally dire.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
All this talk of missing 400 being down to the way the team is performing is complete sh*t. First home game of the season: 1,222 v Histon. First Saturday home of the season: 1,114.

This for a team that lost out in the play-offs the previous season and only lost 7 games all season. Whatever the reason for the loss of support it is not the way the team is playing, despite how supposedly bad we've been and how supposedly bad Satdee's gate was it's only 128 down on the first Satdee game.

Only 2 games above 1200 this season, Halifax and Eastwood on Boxing Day. Last season only 4 where below 1200, and of the 16 that where above 10 of those where 1500+. So 400+ made up their minds before a ball was kicked  ??? Or was losing in the play-offs seen as enough of a failure for those 400?

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 06:18:10 AM »
Easy answer to that WP, it's called lack of spare money, simple as that.
I've said this many a time over the last few months, although no one really enjoys watching anything they're not happy with, most people will put up with it.

Sadly, if you have no spare cash and at the moment lots are in this situation, you just can't afford the  £15-£20 it costs to go. At one time i used to go to every home game and some away games, i did that for years. This season i've been to three home games and that's it. The way things are looking that's all i'll be attending this season too. Yes the football is poor but it's the cost that's stopping me from going.

Check the grassy knoll and the chips and curry  :bunny

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:06:38 AM »
The summer recruitment drive did nothing to attract people to the game. I know it totally deflated me and put the management on totally the back foot in my thoughts.Others I spoke to said they'd wait and see before attending on the basis if the poor signings, but have never been because the team have been so inconsistent. I lay the majority of the blame at the managements door.

But cash is tight, I think its the single biggest factor why people are staying away. We all know its a low pay area and its not immune from the financial problems affecting the country.However the club don't help themselves, they've seen the gates are down from day one but have not offered a single incentive or concession to try and pull the punters in. They've squeezed every penny out of fans when cup ties have come along while other clubs have offered massive savings and hide behind the old 'the other team tell us we've got to charge X' ........it seems the hand that feeds is now biting back.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:11 AM »
Wonder if programme sales are also down. Always used to buy one but not at all this season at £3 a time. I don't care what the quality is like, £3 is too much. I don't see many others buying them either.

DL

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
Going off Patrick's list though as he says we cannot blame the economy (with some exceptions like lonegunman) as nearly everyone else's attendances are up. I think it shows how fickle Boston people are that they make up their minds before a ball is kicked, we're not going to be top 3 every season as promotions will dictate that at some point we'll struggle to compete.