Author Topic: Realistic points total  (Read 22795 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic points total
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »

So beating only the bottom 7, gaining mid 50's which would probably put us bottom 7 and defo in a relegation battle at some point. Do you see us as a bottom 7 side, a simple yes or no please.

Certainly don't see us anywhere even close to the play offs, in fact I don't even see a top half finish.......however 9 points out of the next 3 games takes us to 40 points and that should banish any threat of relegation. We'll probably finish somewhere between 11th and 16th which is pathetic really and gives me no confidence for any significant improvement next season. As Adam says perhaps we should judge the managers next season......I'm afraid my mind was made up last summer with some of the appalling signings and I've no confidence that they can build a side to make a play off push, let alone challenge for the title as we should be doing.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
bah humbug.
starting to look good IMO- def will be at least challenging for a play off place if we can build on last few performances- the negativity of some people astounds me.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
Call it negativity......I call it realism.

Fact is we've not had a settled side all season, we've struggled to both score goals and keep clean sheets and we've a terrible record against the top sides, all of whom we still have to play.

Lower mid table for me, the next few games against the bottom feeders are no indicator.

Ben Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
Ok, since its really quiet at work..

Eastwood (A)    - W Hinckley (A)     - D Worcester (A)     - L Harrogate (H) - W
Blyth (H)                    - W Colwyn (A)    - D Stalybridge (H)    - L Halifax (A) - L
Stortford (H)    - W Worcester (H)    - L Altrincham (H)    - D Trinity (H) - W
Nuneaton (H)    - D Vauxhall (A)    - W Droylsden (A)    - W Hyde (A) - L
Corby (A)                    - L Gloucester (H)    - D Gloucester (A)    - D Guiseley (H) – D

26 added to the 31 = 57 points

I’ve not seen many games this season, a glut at the start of the season and then a few recent games including Gainsboro, Guiseley, Stalybridge and Eastwood. In those latter games I have noticed an improvement in the quality of football we are playing although we are prone to mistakes that a side better than Eastwood would punish us for. Still think we’re some way short of a play off -making  side but the players we have now do have potential. Like Woad Pilgrim I think we will see a change in the second half of the season, but not as much of a change.. We are certainly not a bottom 7 side!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:31:31 PM by Ben Grant »

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
I can forsee the following:

Eastwood (A)    - W      Hinckley (A)     - D    Worcester (A)     - L       Harrogate (H) - W
Blyth (H)           - W       Colwyn (A)      - L    Stalybridge (H)    - L       Halifax (A) - L
Stortford (H)     - W       Worcester (H) - D     Altrincham (H)    - D      Trinity (H) - D
Nuneaton (H)    - L        Vauxhall (A)    - D    Droylsden (A)       - L      Hyde (A) - L
Corby (A)           - L        Gloucester (H) - W    Gloucester (A)    - D      Guiseley (H) – L

This gives us 21 points added to the 31 gives us 52.

As nortyfourties said, this will be lower half but enough of a buffer in Feb to avoid relegation worries.

We do still look a bit rocky at the back, pretty in midfield but a bit light and not enough up front unless Constantine can change this and Newsham starts to fire again.  We have a poor record against  the top sides this season (not stuffings noted and Hyde in the trophy) but mid table is not great looking at what TT did in about 5 mins before the 07/08 season with an 8th place finish.

It does appear they are learning however so i do have hope for next year

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Call it negativity......I call it realism.
You call it realism, because you're a pessimist.

It'll be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season, when IMO we'll have just missed out on the Play Offs - probably due to a difficult last 4 games.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
Lets make it a 'sticky' then Ken.......I'll stand by what I say and predict we'll be a minimum 8 points outside the play offs.

Realist Scott, not pessimist.

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
Lets make it a 'sticky' then Ken.......I'll stand by what I say and predict we'll be a minimum 8 points outside the play offs.

C'mon N 40 you have to put up a results table like the rest, no get out clause then. :rudolph

we can all stand  or fall by the numbers.  :bunny

What? No courage?  ;)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
A realist will see that we have been average this season, nothing more or nothing less. We've received one thrashing (as have Manchester United!), and won a few games comfortably (Histon, Trinity for example).

Were you expecting us to walk the league, having lost the spine of the squad in the summer (through no fault of the managers)?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
I was expecting much better than what we've had so far.......

No sorry,I was expecting much better than what we've had so far.......but I expected this mediocrity when I saw who we'd signed in the summer.

Walk the league? No

Challenge for promotion be it as champions or via the play offs? I think thats a minimum requirement at Boston Utd.

To be thrashing around in mid table is NOT acceptable.

It would have been last season after promotion but after last season's efforts the basis of a very capable side were in place. Sadly the good work and momentum of the last 2 seasons has been lost in a welter of poor signings.

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
C'mon N40 you can do it in specific terms. Post the prediction fully. Be brave! ;)

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
C'mon  ;)
Ah ....... Ok past my bedtime, goodnight  :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:57:08 PM by myleftfoot »

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »
N40 - we no longer have a right to be challenging for promotion or be in the main Conference. Things have moved on since we were last there and the town no longer seems to have the desire to support the Club as perhaps it once did.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
DL, I think the town is wary of supporting the club in the wake of the fiasco with Evans coming back and businesses being shafted left,right and centre.I think the desire is there, but it'll be tempered with a very heavy dose of caution.

However, the turnout v Guisley for the play off and an average gate of around 1400 last season tells me there's still an enormous amount of goodwill and support for the club out there...... realistically we should pull 17-1800 average in the BSBP, of course that would be small beer to clubs like Luton,Wrexham and Cambridge but even operating on a part time basis I see no reason why we couldn't hold our own like Tamworth,Southport,FGR,Hayes or Gateshead, all clubs IMHO smaller than ourselves.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
N40 - Fair points. Any Club will always get the numbers through the gates when the big games come to town. I worry more about the run of the mill games. Sky Sports seems to be winning and small Clubs like Boston (in a geographical backwater) suffer more than most. Also, with a boom in foreigners to the county, how many of these actually come to games ?

Anyway, back on topic, We will get 69 points. No idea why. I just like the number.

DL