Author Topic: Next seasons squad  (Read 4704 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Next seasons squad
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »
Squad really starting to take shape. Craig has put on twitter that all 14 players offered new deals ARE on course to re-sign. Both signings so far look very promising. I think that the first team team will be kept to 16 as quality of player to keep within the budget should be priority and this seems to be the way Jason is also thinking. 16 paid first teamers with another 6 reserves would give us a plan for the any eventuality during the season. We now have 13 first teamers so really only expecting three more, an experienced centre back and centre mid and maybe a 5th forward player. The six 'emergancy' players being Drury, Jason Field, Jason Lee, (as 6th choice forward only shouldn't really be playing) James Reed, Lewis Sturman and Jake Beauchamp who is another that has done well for th pre youths and reserves. All in all next season is starting to look very promising! With the best news of the day being Sleath signing who has had a very consistent 3 years.

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Next seasons squad
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:27:41 AM »

It is odd though how different managers think about squad shapes.

With Lee, Jones, Weir-Daley, Newsham and Fairclough, that's now five strikers we can name from our embryonic squad of 14-15 players. England meanwhile have only named four strikers in a squad of 23, and one of those is suspended for the first two matches.

Have England got too few strikers? Or have Boston got too many?

We do need a "been there, done that" central defender to add a bit of experience to our back line.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
England seem to be going for the one up front, whilst Boston play three up front so really JL is looking for five plus himself (for absolute emergancys only£ which we now have if you include Smith in those positions.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
Personally don't think we need any more strikers. If everyone signs we have:

GK
Danny Haystead
Ricky Drury 

CB
Nathan Stainfield
Tom Ward
Experienced CB?
Lewis Sturman

LB
Jason Field
Gareth Jelleyman

RB
Conor Marshall

CM
Ben Milnes
James Reed
Ian Ross
Danny Sleath
Ball Winner?
Jake Beuchamp
Elliot Price (also has done well in the yoofs)

F
Ben Fairclough
Marc Newsham
Kallum Smith 
Spencer Weir-Daley
Mark Jones
Jason Lee
Tony Edwards (reserve striker who got a couple of sub apps, looked pacey)
Jordan Nuttell
Charlie Sanders (both scored goals in yoofs)

So looking at that I'd say the 5th new signing would need to be someone who is a bit of a utility player who could cover RB or CB as I think the youth/reserves will provide adequate cover in other areas (or even first team players depending on how quickly they adapt).

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:36:33 PM »
Should be in the top 3 with that squad.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
Should be in the top 3 with that squad.

You going for your S/T then kon?  ;D
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
After thinking about it I'm in agreement with you WP, we have enough good forwards. A Churchy type midfielder, experienced centre back and a right back as I'm not yet completely convinced by Marshall yet, although he has showed potential and could yet come good. Can't see why anyone would moan about the preparations for next season. We also have an assistant manager to appoint, the right person could hazed a lot to the club.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
Tash I'm giving it a miss this year.I felt badly let down last year and found it hard to go to matches.I guess the likes of BallBag and MLF will find the the urge to slag me off!But not going doesnt mean I don't support the club.Hopefully a good start will draw me back to the matches and as a result the club we get more from a paying fan than a ST fan.

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »
Personally don't think we need any more strikers. If everyone signs we have:

GK
Danny Haystead
Ricky Drury

CB
Nathan Stainfield
Tom Ward
Experienced CB?
Lewis Sturman

LB
Jason Field
Gareth Jelleyman

RB
Conor Marshall

CM
Ben Milnes
James Reed
Ian Ross
Danny Sleath
Ball Winner?
Jake Beuchamp
Elliot Price (also has done well in the yoofs)

F
Ben Fairclough
Marc Newsham
Kallum Smith
Spencer Weir-Daley
Mark Jones
Jason Lee
Tony Edwards (reserve striker who got a couple of sub apps, looked pacey)
Jordan Nuttell
Charlie Sanders (both scored goals in yoofs)

So looking at that I'd say the 5th new signing would need to be someone who is a bit of a utility player who could cover RB or CB as I think the youth/reserves will provide adequate cover in other areas (or even first team players depending on how quickly they adapt).

Liam Parker, when fit, would do that role a treat

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »
Danny Hone's been released by Lincoln.

Might be a useful signing...

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
Tash I'm giving it a miss this year.I felt badly let down last year and found it hard to go to matches.I guess the likes of BallBag and MLF will find the the urge to slag me off!But not going doesnt mean I don't support the club.Hopefully a good start will draw me back to the matches and as a result the club we get more from a paying fan than a ST fan.

Same here, I can't get to midweek games without begging favours and if the team start well the club will get just as much from me on a weekly basis as they would through a season ticket. Just because I have good reasons for not renewing doesn't make me or KoN for that matter any less a fan than some of the self righteous and pious on here. I think we've a little over 70 seasons of regular attendance between us, the fact we have lives beyond the club and opinions that differ from others shouldn't be a reason for that pathetic post a little further up the page.

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 05:01:49 PM »
Hi All

Are Tony Edwards and Tom Sergeant any good , what style of strikers are they?

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »

Urge not found my dear KON. Have a great summer  ;)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell