Author Topic: Eastwood Town Game - NYD  (Read 5666 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Eastwood Town Game - NYD
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »
Good fighting spirit to get back into the game but we let ourselves down again and had a mountain to climb by giving away silly goals.

Having taken particular note of the defence over the last couple of months, I can't help but think that we need a new right back. I know Jordan Fairclough is only a young lad but he gets caught out of position too often for my liking and this has cost us goals (on at least three occasions in the last 5 games).

On a positive note, good to see Newsham continue with his goalscoring form.

DL
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:20:56 PM by Daniel Lambert »

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwood Town Game - NYD
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
Jordan seems to be a better winger than defender. Unfortunately missed today's game but went to watch a BSP derby match!!!

milo1972

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
I made the trip today to Eastwood and to be fair, the end result was right. Both teams battled through some atrocious weather conditions, Eastwood looked dangerous on the counter attack whilst Boston played some neat football but just lacked that quality in the final third to pinch the points.
The refereeing was comical at times , similar to our defence ! Their first goal a deflection, whilst the second was an error by Fairclough and Bastock. Ross scored brilliantly from a free kick and Newsham got the deserved equaliser near the end.
On a plus note, we didnt lose and what a magnificent away following we had. Over half the attendance was black and amber supporters.
To summarise, i have said from the start of the season we will end up midtable and i still firmly believe that.

Up the Pilgrims !

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
Fair play for the fighting spirit and battling comments but Eastwood were as bad a side I have seen in many a year on Boxing Day and to think we have leaked 4 goals to them in a week is horrendous.

I saw that Craig said they were "dogged" and that premiership teams had struggled to get wins that we should have over the last couple of days, but I'm sorry, he's taking the p*ss.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
Steady on Senny ! Taking the p@ss is a bit strong!

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Sorry, I forgot about your NY positive postings!

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
Having taken particular note of the defence over the last couple of months, I can't help but think that we need a new right back. I know Jordan Fairclough is only a young lad but he gets caught out of position too often for my liking and this has cost us goals (on at least three occasions in the last 5 games).

the second was an error by Fairclough and Bastock.

Bazza has been one of our best players since he re-signed and kept Altrincham down to single figures, for example, but I didn't think he was quite himself yesterday. Normally you hear him barking out instructions to the players in front of him throughout the game, but I didn't hear him at all yesterday - despite the fact that I was positioned directly behind him throughout the first half. He didn't give a call when he went for the ball. Fairclough has made mistakes in other matches and some of these have cost us goals (e.g. at Gainsborough), but there was no call from Bazza yesterday and so you can't really criticise Fairclough in attempting to clear his lines. Maybe he should have headed the ball sideways rather than towards the centre of the goal, but that's merely hindsight.

http://www.nonleaguedaily.com/news/index.php?newsmode=FULL&nid=81204

The above article appeared in the press after Boxing Day and in the run-up to yesterday. Maybe it wasn't the best time for Jason Lee to publicly question Franny Green's consistency? If I'd been Eastwood manager I would have put that news clipping on the dressing room wall and it would have been all of the motivation Franny needed to go out and prove his point again. It is good that Jason Lee is approachable and prepared to share his views via the media, but on this occasion shouldn't he have kept his thoughts to himself until after yesterday's game? I did think Franny Green was again Eastwood's best player and obviously he scored again.

Strange as well to see us start with two players wearing number five. Surely there are enough sets of eyes and enough professionalism in the dressing room before kick-off for that not to happen. Also, when Tom Ward went off the pitch to change into the correct number six, he did so when the ball had gone out of play immediately in front of the dugouts. The throw-in took place and play continued whilst he was changing shirts, and with play directly in front of where he was standing we then had to defend a man short until the ball had moved to a different area of the pitch. We need to be better organised to ensure that players start matches wearing the right shirts. But in the situation we were in, maybe Tom should have been guided to change shirts during a passage of play on the opposite side of the pitch?

Not too sure how Eastwood's Markell Bailey (number seven) remained on the pitch as long as he did, and the Eastwood boss clearly substituted him to avoid getting him sent off. Bailey was responsible for a number of late challenges - particularly on Kevin Austin - and "gestured" towards the Boston fans on several occasions (which the linesman must have seen). A stronger referee could have sent him off on more than one occasion during the game. His playing style seems to be based partly on Vinnie Jones and partly on the ex-Retford defender Michael Simpkins, and we don't always seem to be out our best against teams with that type of player.

Should Ben Fairclough and Leon Constantine have remained as unusued substitutes? Constantine needs match time and, as an ex-Eastwood player, Fairclough would surely have had his own point to prove for yesterday's game? With ourselves chasing a winner in the second half and Eastwood spending most of the time defending, should one of the two have been used?

Overall, 2-2 was a fair result on a heavy pitch and in difficult weather conditions. We started the second half with the right attitude, were more of an attacking force after Semple had been introduced, and we deserved our second equaliser. We had though shot ourselves in the foot with our first half defensive frailties and have now conceded two goals in every match we've played since the departure of Alan White. Do we need to sign a direct replacement?

Hope Ben Milnes' injury isn't as bad as it looked - not good though to see him on crutches at the end of the match. I still think Chris Hall is a better wide player than he is a central midfielder. If Milnes is out for a period of time, is it time to recall Adam Millson from his loan at Quorn?

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks for that LP. we were at the other end of the pitch and had no idea whether Bazza had called or not - we just guessed that since he wasn't very vocal immediately after the goal maybe he hadn't.

That said, I agree with DL upthread that Jordan Fairclough isn't the right back we need. To be fair to him, he might not have played there much before (does anyone know?) and to be fair to the managers with White here and Jelleyman fit he wasn't in the team, but as DL says when he does play he quite often isn't where he should be.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Agree with LP re Bazza, JF hadn't a clue where Bazza was and he was very quiet all game. As LP has said though he has been excellent in a number of games but yesterday he was poor, he flapped at another shot second half but just managed to claw it away at the second attempt.

As for the game the pitch was always going to be a leveller having said that we where very poor first half especially defensively. First goal we had a couple of chances to get it clear but nobody got the required distance, the shot was covered by Bazza though until it took a deflection into the opposite corner. Eastwood deffo dealt with the conditions better and deservedly went in in front.

Second half Semps replaced the ineffective Kirk and ran havoc down our left. Once we got the equaliser only one team where looking to win it. Eastwood nullified Semps somewhat by doubling up on him which created space for our centre mids to exploit which they did on a few occasions. Our best chance for a winner came right near the end when JL's header went just over the bar. It would have been harsh on Eastwood had it gone in and a draw was about right over the 90.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:33:50 AM by woad_pilgrim »

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »

An extremley good appraisal from Leicester Pilgrim and his thoughts and comments are always
 constructive and fair. I to was at Bastocks end for their second goal and certainly didn't hear
 any call from the veteran custodian to help and assist Faircloughs decision to clear any danger
 and it was very much a soft goal to conceed at the time.

I share the opinion of others that I thought Eastwoods Francis Green was their best player and
 he certainly hasn't lost any of his desire to win football matches, his attitude has not changed
 from seeing him as a young player at Eastwoods local rivals Ilkeston Town under the Management
 of the late Keith Alexandra. From Boston's point I thought the style of play was a little disjointed
 overall until the introduction at half time of Semple for Kirk whom for me is a little lightweight. For
 the neutral I thought 2-2 was a fair result but cannot see Lee or Jason sharing my sentiments.

Happy New Year to all.......
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:07:59 AM by sparks »
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.