Author Topic: First Home Game  (Read 13606 times)

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
Re: First Home Game
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
Totally agree

cambocakes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:08 PM »
..cos its a fantastic supported club, 2 leagues below its rightful place...NO MORE

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »
you are verry correct we are 2 leagues below were we should be, and in truth run correctly there is no reason why this club cant substain league 2

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »
I've managed to take in most of pre-season and I'm sure that last Saturday's performance won't be typical of the entertainment level this season. It's already been mentioned about the heat and I think that this led to a steady start to the game which then never really got going.
This was the first league game, in front of a large expectant crowd for our "new" team and perhaps the occasion may have had an effect on the way they performed? A point against Kendal shouldn't be sniffed at though.
Each player, that we have in the squad, has shown that they can play a bit in pre-season, and at a high tempo. I'm sure that they will provide very good value for the ticket money as the season progresses. We have a versatile selection of players and now that they have had a taste of "The York Street atmosphere" I'm sure that the next game will be a different matter.
The management's frustration with the performance is perhaps down to the feeling they know that the squad they've assembled could, on their day, have taken apart a side as good as Kendal, yet got sucked into a pretty negative scrappy game which might have been nicked from them at the death.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:48:00 PM by Pilgrim21 »

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
First game for me last Saturday (next away tomorrow night) having not seen any pre-season and working for the FC United game, have to say i was pleased with the effort and energy shown.  One thing did disappoint me though was the formation, granted Kendal are a decent Unibond side who need to be given respect but one up front for the first home game of the season?  

As for attending games etc. I'll be doing as many home and away as work/money allows but I totally understand those who have less disposable spends than me picking and choosing games.  Let's face it we would all go if it were possible but sometimes its not, no point getting onto those who don't for any reason just support as much as you can when you are there and if you are not save it up till you can!

Oh and League Two?  Don't be daft, Conference club, that's the 'true' level if there is such a thing.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
Ye s Conference def..
   Any sensible administrator will split L2 + Conf..into N &S  .. and Quarter the next 4 leagues ..rather than the mess we have now..

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 09:34:02 PM »
we have seen clubs with lesser income than ours compete for manny years in there, with the right foundation im a beleiver that if a club can substain 2500 gates in there OWN ground with othere things to help income it can be acheived

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
One thing did disappoint me though was the formation, granted Kendal are a decent Unibond side who need to be given respect but one up front for the first home game of the season?  

It may have looked like 1 up front at times but it is definitely a 4-3-3 as Clarke and Newsham are strikers but played wide either side of Davidson.   

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »
Sorry WP but if thats what they were meant to be playing it was only in very short bursts, almost every ball hit forward was met by just the single striker.  Even when Kendal were defending set plays they had three up front on the half way line compared to when we had the ball we still only had one up there pushing the Kendal defense the other way.

Let's hope they get more bodies forward tonight.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
Absolutely bang on......playing a single striker at home is a recipe for disaster.

I thought Clarke was wasted, stuck out on the wing and chasing back to support his full back all the time......

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
Sorry WP but if thats what they were meant to be playing it was only in very short bursts, almost every ball hit forward was met by just the single striker.  Even when Kendal were defending set plays they had three up front on the half way line compared to when we had the ball we still only had one up there pushing the Kendal defense the other way.

You're probably right but I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said "every ball hit forward". Pre-season and against FC (for the first hour) it wasn't long balls hit forward it was short flowing passing allowing the 2 wide strikers the time to get forward. Last half hour against FC and the whole game against Kendal we hit it long leaving Davidson mostly unsupported, hopefully we will try to start passing again as we have already shown we can which will give the other strikers and Sleath/Kennedy time to get forward and support the front man.

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »
think the team will look a lot better with church in midfield

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »

You're probably right but I think you've hit the nail on the head when you said "every ball hit forward". Pre-season and against FC (for the first hour) it wasn't long balls hit forward it was short flowing passing allowing the 2 wide strikers the time to get forward. Last half hour against FC and the whole game against Kendal we hit it long leaving Davidson mostly unsupported, hopefully we will try to start passing again as we have already shown we can which will give the other strikers and Sleath/Kennedy time to get forward and support the front man.

Looks like i missed out on the best footy during pre-season!