Author Topic: Stalybridge match  (Read 13568 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Stalybridge match
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:54:32 PM »

As nobody else has started the topic, here's my take on today...

Thought the 3-0 scoreline was flattering on Stalybridge. We showed plenty of effort today and created chances, but they were a bit more clinical in front of goal. At 1-0 we were always in it and were the best side for long spells. But we had to go forward in search of the equaliser. Stalybridge were understandably a fit side because they are full-time, and they caught us twice late on the break. 3-0 wasn't a fair reflection and it can be a cruel game sometimes.

Our best chance to score was probably in the first minute. Newsham's shot brought about a good save from the Stalybridge keeper, and the ball ran loose to Semple. With the keeper out of position and the goal gaping, unfortunately Semple's shot was off target. It was early in the game - maybe the chance came too early - but it could have made a difference.

Thought Ian Ross was lucky to stay on the pitch, having kicked out at a Stalybridge player during the second half. In the circumstances I don't think he could have had any complaints if the ref had produced a red card. The ref must have seen something as he booked him, but how he judged it as only a yellow card I don't really know. Ross is a decent player with a good range of passing, but he'll be no use to us whatsoever if he's sat in the stands suspended. A player of his experience should know better.

Plenty of other Boston players deserved credit from today and on another day we could have had a draw. It is a big step up from the Lincolnshire League, but I thought Tony Edwards showed more promise in his five minute appearance than Sam Mulready did in an entire month loan spell. Chased down plenty of lots causes and delivered a good cross that rolled along the goal line and that on another day someone would have finished. Thought Edwards showed enough to deserve another chance in the first team.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stalybridge match
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
Some rather bad photos from today's game. (It was cold, wet and rather gloomy - something to do with the time of the year)

Shippy92

• Just another Snapper...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:51:06 PM »
Know the feeling about photos and gloomy weather - my worst set in a long long time!

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:58:48 PM »
Know the feeling about photos and gloomy weather - my worst set in a long long time!

Any excuse!

The real reason your pictures didn't come out is because you were pointing your lens only a few inches from your own feet ...

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
Floodlights seemed to help with clarity.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
Got to agree with LP We should really have come away with something out that game, at 1-0 they where fortunate and 3-0 was a travesty. Before the game I expected the sort of scoreline we came away with but after I am gutted for the lads they have put in so much effort and only have a 3 goal beating to show for it.

As well as the double chance from Newsh/Semple we also had Newsh nip in before their keeper, pull it back to Sleath who took too many chances with the gk out of his goal and only a defender between him and an empty net. Also had Milnes goalbound shot blocked by Jase Lee and Ross was unlucky with an effort. Apart from their goal they only had 1 shot on target in the first half which Bazza pushed round the post. Stalybridge may have had plenty of possession but they lacked a cutting edge and it was us carving out all the chances and I have to say I'm not sure how we went in 1-0 down.

Second half was more of the same until the last 15 minutes. We had a goalmouth scramble where nearly every Boston player got involved. Also Kev Austin had a goalbound shot superbly saved and then another almighty goalmouth scramble where the ball went accross the goal from both sides and I'm still not sure how we failed to score. Stalybridge again had possession but again failed to create much until the final 15 minutes when we left ourselves short at the back.

Personally have never felt so positive after a 3 goal defeat, have heard at the ground and read elsewhere that people are saying Stalybridge are better than Hyde, for me Hyde where a much better side alround and I was completely underwhelmed by Stalybridge I was expecting them to be much better, they played better in both games against us last season IMO.

Edit: Their manager is a complete cnut. He's a bloody good manager but he does like to get opposing players sent off. Last season his total over-reaction got Danny Davidson sent off and today after Ian Ross's yellow he clipped the heel of one of their players who managed to stay on his feet and carry on, the ref played advantage. He (the Stalybridge manager) was straight out of his dugout and ran down the line demonstrating with the ref trying to get Ross sent off. It wasn't the only time he was out of his box, he was going nuts over nearly every decision.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:41:27 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Celtic Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »
Got to agree with LP We should really have come away with something out that game, at 1-0 they where fortunate and 3-0 was a travesty. Before the game I expected the sort of scoreline we came away with but after I am gutted for the lads they have put in so much effort and only have a 3 goal beating to show for it.

As well as the double chance from Newsh/Semple we also had Newsh nip in before their keeper, pull it back to Sleath who took too many chances with the gk out of his goal and only a defender between him and an empty net. Also had Milnes goalbound shot blocked by Jase Lee and Ross was unlucky with an effort. Apart from their goal they only had 1 shot on target in the first half which Bazza pushed round the post. Stalybridge may have had plenty of possession but they lacked a cutting edge and it was us carving out all the chances and I have to say I'm not sure how we went in 1-0 down.

Sorry got to disagree with you, you were second best everywhere today as the stats will prove you only had 2 shots on target. And when you wrote a biased view you fail to mention our chances like Marsh clean through keeper having to block the shot then scramble ball for a corner. or Jennings playing Hobson through  he should have scored but put the ball wide in to the side netting I think most Celtic fans thought he had scored because there was a big cheer. We had more shots at Goal and more shots on target so we deserved to win.

Second half was more of the same until the last 15 minutes. We had a goalmouth scramble where nearly every Boston player got involved. Also Kev Austin had a goalbound shot superbly saved and then another almighty goalmouth scramble where the ball went accross the goal from both sides and I'm still not sure how we failed to score. Stalybridge again had possession but again failed to create much until the final 15 minutes when we left ourselves short at the back.

Personally have never felt so positive after a 3 goal defeat, have heard at the ground and read elsewhere that people are saying Stalybridge are better than Hyde, for me Hyde where a much better side alround and I was completely underwhelmed by Stalybridge I was expecting them to be much better, they played better in both games against us last season IMO.

Edit: Their manager is a complete cnut. He's a bloody good manager but he does like to get opposing players sent off. Last season his total over-reaction got Danny Davidson sent off and today after Ian Ross's yellow he clipped the heel of one of their players who managed to stay on his feet and carry on, the ref played advantage. He (the Stalybridge manager) was straight out of his dugout and ran down the line demonstrating with the ref trying to get Ross sent off. It wasn't the only time he was out of his box, he was going nuts over nearly every decision.
Stalybridge Celtic the pride of Tameside

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 12:23:01 AM »
Oh, good old statistics...

It was an even game, in which Staly took one of their two first half chances, after we had missed ours. Second half was just as even (but not as fast-paced), and the two late goals flattered them.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Going on the two posters reports (both of whom I'm inclined to believe are not wearing amber tinted specs given Craigs live updates and their usual fair and honest appraisals) it just shows that until we go out and get a penalty box goal poacher we're going to be down among the mid table dead men all season. Newsham isn't quite good enough and JL can't do it all on his own.........instead of fannying around with short term loans how about the managers get out and look at a few players who might fit the bill? We're not a million miles away from where we should be, lets see a bit of thought go into getting the missing piece of the jigsaw, and just as importantly, a bit of backing from within........

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
just read the report in the nlp and it said we were poor and apart from 2shots didnt threaten their goal at all. Every one ive spoken to said they werent that good!

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
I was there yesterday and I agree that the team gave everything, but here is the rub, their best efforts are not good enough to see us do any better than mid-table.
The result was right as they passed us off the park, Jason's threat was nullified by two small centre backs and any flick on's, as in most games resulted in nought as we don't have another forward quick enough to get on to them.
I think we still have a problem at right back, and it appears with the signing of Ian Ross the mid-field are more confused than ever about what their roles are.
I know it sounds like a lot of negativity but as I said the lads gave their all, and I am just giving my humble opinion as someone who fortunate enough to be able to get to every game.

Celtic Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
just read the report in the nlp and it said we were poor and apart from 2shots didnt threaten their goal at all. Every one ive spoken to said they werent that good!

If they said we wasn't that good it must be sour grapes because the report in the nlp is accurate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:47:23 PM by Celtic Blue »
Stalybridge Celtic the pride of Tameside

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:38 PM »

If they said we wasn't that good it must be sour grapes because the report in the nlp is accurate.

Strange he should say that, i didn't go but those who i spoke to said you was the team your league placed suggested (Granted that was from only 4 that did go to the match). From what i was told the NLP was wronge in what it said regarding Boston becouse they all thought for part time against full time we had done okay across the middle and for large parts of the game across the back.

Then came the same old same old comments, We have got completly no idea about playing football any further forward than the middle.

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 01:14:14 PM »

Strange he should say that, i didn't go but those who i spoke to said you was the team your league placed suggested (Granted that was from only 4 that did go to the match). From what i was told the NLP was wronge in what it said regarding Boston becouse they all thought for part time against full time we had done okay across the middle and for large parts of the game across the back.

Then came the same old same old comments, We have got completly no idea about playing football any further forward than the middle.
they said we competed well for most of the game but got caught out at the back looking to get something from the game and their team werent a patch on the hyde team we saw at york street!   

mossleysmiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »

Can I make that three of us in agreement  ;D

http://mossleysmiffy.jalbum.net/StalybridgeCelticBostonUtd03Dec11/
worth a dabble:

www.sixtamesides.co.uk