Author Topic: Lee Canoville denies claim Boston United offered player in return for Ian Ross  (Read 1853 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
"This Is Lincolnshire"  Echo

Lee Canoville has rejected claims by Harrogate Town boss Simon Weaver that Boston United have signed midfielder Ian Ross.

In his blog on the Harrogate website on Friday, Weaver said that Ross had left the CNG Stadium and rejoined the Pilgrims.

Canoville admits he is an admirer of the former Rotherham man after playing alongside him for both Notts County and Boston in the Football League.

The joint-manager refused to rule out a swoop for Ross, but he insists no deal has been done to sign the 25-year-old and declared his disappointment at Weaver's comments.

"It does disappoint me," said Canoville following Boston's 3-1 victory at Gainsborough Trinity on Saturday.

"But there's not much you can do about it if they're putting stuff out there on their website. I found out about it today and it disappoints me because it's false, it's lies.

"If Ian Ross was a Boston United player he would have been involved today.

"Rossy was someone we were interested in during the summer, but he chose Harrogate.

"From the statement (Weaver's) I've seen, he's not been very happy there.

"At the end of the day, Rossy is a very, very good player. I know a lot about him obviously from Boston and Notts County. I'm sure in the next week people will see what is going to happen."

Canoville was particularly disgruntled at Weaver's claim that United had offered an "experienced midfield player" in exchange for Ross.

The player-boss believes such comments could potentially unsettle members of the Boston squad.

"The main disappointing thing is about us offering a midfielder to them. I don't know where that's come from," added Canoville.

"We want our players to know that when they're involved, they're with us all the way.

"It's very, very disappointing that has come out because people might read it and believe it.

"We haven't said anything to our players yet, but we might have a word on Tuesday (at training) just to make sure they know they are here because we want them.

"If we can add to that, brilliant. But the players will be the first to know and not via something going on a website from another team. But you move on, it's football."

Canoville confirmed he and fellow joint-boss Jason Lee would be interested in signing Ross, if the player is available.

"If he's available, yeah, I hope so ," he said. "I know he wasn't involved in their (Harrogate's) game last Tuesday. He's someone we were interested in during the summer and I'm sure we'd be interested in him now.

"But as for him being a Boston United player today (Saturday), that is false. As for us offering any central midfielders to Harrogate, that is false as well.

"In the next few days, we'll what happens."