Author Topic: Polish scum of Boston  (Read 40887 times)

RamMalc

• View Profile
Re: Polish scum of Boston
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »
ahhhh , well at least that's cleared that up , unless you wear a white sheet with a pointy hat and have a cross burning habit you aren't really a rascist , anyway Mr Blatter says you can say what you want so long as you shake hands after .

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »
Is picking on Daily Mail readers racist?

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
The fact that this topic is already on six pages proves stleast that the people in this area have strong views on the subject. Personally I feel that eastern Europeans contribute to a higher proportion of local crimes than 'british' people. As said in another post the court cases in the Standard involve a large majority of eastern Europeans as does my local rag (Spalding Guardian.) 

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2011, 11:01:48 PM »
Is picking on Daily Mail readers racist?

no its just picking on the gullible

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »
lets assume john terry did say what he's supposedly said - does that really make him a racist?
Yes.

however my impression of a racist is someone who cannot tolerate any member of a particular racial group and will take very opportunity to berate and abuse the individuals and certainly would not befriend them
That is your impression, fair enough, I just choose to not accept racism in any form be it a single remark or a consistent view.

are you seriously trying to tell me that john terry and ashley cole are not good friends........or indeed any other of his 'black' team mates
Ah the old 'cannot be racist i've got a black mate', yeah that might be a little flawed.

can any of you seriously say after being riled by a certain individual with particular 'racial' characteristics you haven't made similar comments
If someone is behaving like a complete arsehole I'll say so and I'll leave their race out of it.  Again though if you choose to use it against someone then that is your choice.

telling jokes about blonde bimbos could be considered racist towards blonde women
abusing/joking about ginger haired / tall lanky / short / fat / skinny or even people who perhaps don't paint the perfect portrait in looks could also be racist
Not really though, as its not about race is it.  Since that is the subject, not if someone has a silly tash or wears glasses*

making a racist remark is unacceptable and naive/ignorant on the abusers part but it doesn't necessarily tie you to a racist group
An adult, plus most teenage kids, are fully aware of the implications of making racist remarks to or about people of a specific race.  There is no way naivety or ignorance comes into it.  Again if you think that is an excuse then that is your choice.  Likewise if you think making such remarks independently is fine but if you are in a group not, again your choice.

* I currently have both, bloody Movember! (no offence Tash ;o)

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »
In an episode of Porridge, Fletcher called another prisoner a Glaswegian black bastard. When the guy objected, Fletcher challenged him to prove the statement untrue, which of course he couldn't. (Much hilarity.)

Leaving aside the word bastard, which has taken on connotations other than its original meaning, look at the other two descriptions. If I can call someone a Glaswegian when he is, then why is it wrong to call someone black when he is? My son has a very good friend who is very black. Have I committed an offence by stating that?

My point is that you have to get inside the mind of the person who is speaking to see if he means to be offensive, and then we are one step away from thought police.

It is an unfortunate trend over the past sixty years or so to import American meanings for our native language (this is probably seen as a racist suggestion) which we we used in a naive way before we allowed this corruption. We all know of the Agatha Christie novel that may no longer speak its name, and Noddy can't have his old friends around him.

Of course we should be careful how we speak, but I long for simpler times. I also state emphatically that racism in all its forms is indefensible, but we should be allowed to address reality as we perceive it without being accused of wrongdoing. I have the audacity to assume that Ken agrees, and this is why he has allowed this topic to continue.

Finally, my sympathies to the poor lady who has suffered. It would be lovely if at some point in the near future a foreign national happened to do her a kindness, that restored her and Bob's faith.

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:45 AM »
good post fairfax

MNH

i made it clear i don't condone any form of racist abuse - i was simply making a comparison to other 'races' where we have all probably offended from time to time

does a ginger haired person deserve abuse but not a dark skinned person?

is it fair game to call lincoln fans inbreds because they're from lincoln but not say anything slightly unsavoury about foreign nationals

as fairfax says - lets apply a dose of reality in such areas

bostox

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
I think it is important to remember that racism is unacceptable in modern life. But we all have to understand that it is not the term 'Polish', 'Black', 'Ginger' which makes a statement racist. It is the tone, manner and context which it is used.

If by using the word Polish, you are using it to suggest a 'lesser person' (derogatory statement), then you are racist. If it was sincerely in a discriptive nature, then you are not. However by using the words Polish & Scum in the same sentence and Polish at a time of high emotion you lead people to assume it is meant as a derogatory statement.

So if I say 'Mr X is a Black Man', I am not racist, just using a commonly used description of a Negro Male. If I say 'Mr X is a Black B'stard' then i'm not inherently racist as the 'black' in the statement could have been meant as a descriptive term, however by using the word in this context I would find it hard to justify it's use in such away. It is my responsibility to make sure that I am not misinterpreted and categorized as Racist.

The difference between the statement Ginger B'stard and Black B'stard is simple, the Black people of the world have in history been treated as lesser persons, due to the colour of their skin, as such it is more commonly beleived that the 'black' in a derogatory statement is a sign that you are suggesting that the person is a lesser person due to their skin tone. As far as I know Ginger people haven't been persecuted in such a way.

So as a conclusion do I think your post was racist?, I hope not. Do I think you are racist, I hope not?. From not knowing you and reading your post, could I be drawn to the conclusion you are a racist/xenaphobic? Yes I could. Does it matter what I think of you? Not a F'ing jot.

I hope you Mother in Law is getting over her nightmare ordeal.

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2011, 08:30:24 AM »
Think this thread has run its course now, the issue of immigration and racism is a very emotive subject and probably one that can't be debated properly over an internet football forum, I for one do not wish to fall out with fellow supporters over it, both sides of the argument have valid points and it has been interesting reading different peoples opinions. Best wishes to your mum in law Bob.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »
lets assume john terry did say what he's supposedly said - does that really make him a racist?
Yes.

however my impression of a racist is someone who cannot tolerate any member of a particular racial group and will take very opportunity to berate and abuse the individuals and certainly would not befriend them
That is your impression, fair enough, I just choose to not accept racism in any form be it a single remark or a consistent view.

are you seriously trying to tell me that john terry and ashley cole are not good friends........or indeed any other of his 'black' team mates
Ah the old 'cannot be racist i've got a black mate', yeah that might be a little flawed.

can any of you seriously say after being riled by a certain individual with particular 'racial' characteristics you haven't made similar comments
If someone is behaving like a complete arsehole I'll say so and I'll leave their race out of it.  Again though if you choose to use it against someone then that is your choice.

telling jokes about blonde bimbos could be considered racist towards blonde women
abusing/joking about ginger haired / tall lanky / short / fat / skinny or even people who perhaps don't paint the perfect portrait in looks could also be racist
Not really though, as its not about race is it.  Since that is the subject, not if someone has a silly tash or wears glasses*

making a racist remark is unacceptable and naive/ignorant on the abusers part but it doesn't necessarily tie you to a racist group
An adult, plus most teenage kids, are fully aware of the implications of making racist remarks to or about people of a specific race.  There is no way naivety or ignorance comes into it.  Again if you think that is an excuse then that is your choice.  Likewise if you think making such remarks independently is fine but if you are in a group not, again your choice.

* I currently have both, bloody Movember! (no offence Tash ;o)

None taken Adam you can't help it if your Tashist :D
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
Perhaps time to remember the late great Charlie Williams.

"I met a woman today who had white skin, strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes, red lips and pink nails.............and she called me coloured?"

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »
Sadley, bostox, ginger haired people are persecuted. My late and much loved sister was ginger haired and was also autistic. She died aged 49, but was driven to distraction during her years at Kitwood Girls School and attempted suicide on numerous occasions, including throwing herself into the Haven near the stump. At school, nothing was done to protect her and the head teacher told my mother that she would just have to put up with it. (I really hope that times have changed.) Strangely, when asked why the girls picked on her, she always answered that it was the colour of her hair.

Bullying and racism are the same crime and both can be the result of thoughtlessness. Forgive us our trespasses.

Plastic Yank

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2011, 12:51:10 PM »
Could we please have more ignorant and duh-duh -style posts? This thread has been hilarious in some places.

I was once told that the "f**king cones" (sic) were taking over certain towns and cities.

Now, skin-colour slurs are one thing, but geometric ones, too?

Come on, more, "I'm not racist, but..." posts, please. The baffling stupidity of some of these posts has made me smile, and on occasion, laugh as well.

Bravo!!

Steviemas

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
 Hope thats not you in that photo Plastic Yank, he looks like one of the members of that vile organisation the U. A F.  ;D

townender3385

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
should leave the eu and get them out, not helping the economy or community