Author Topic: damp squib  (Read 6787 times)

dubai camel

• View Profile
Re: damp squib
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 06:42:27 AM »
Hoof ball to Lee has always been a disaster. Football is about possession and creating something, not hoofing up and hoping that Jason a) gets a head on it b) it then falls to one of our players -  its easy to defend, one to challenge for the header, one defender to drop off for flick-on if it comes.
All too often the hoof ball gives possession straight back to the opposition. It's shows a lack of imagination and quite frankly a lack of confidence in the players to play football.

Over a season it'll have us in mid table as we will be unable to unlock most defences with this style of play.

In the words of Cloughie " If God had meant football to be played in the air he would have made the sky green."

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 08:08:52 AM »
Close DC but this is what he actually said. "If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."
My favorite quote by the great man is "Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes."  He's been reading this and every other football related forum!!  :D

check the grassy knoll and the chips and curry  :bunny
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
Always the easy option for players to lump the ball upfield with a tall stricker like Lee .
The truth is we have not got one good striker on the books .  We need a good clear-out of dead wood and a couple of decent strikers bringing in ,   problem is where do you find them ?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
I personnally Dont think we have to much dead wood, Just maybe change how styles of attack I.E, Newsham is a poacher and always has been and is very good at his job, Our crosses this year have been some of the best for years but there always floated to the back. Lets mix it some to the front and drill a few in, Its the bounce backs that players like newsham scored so well from in the past few seasons. Holding the ball in the middle needs to be used a bit more and mixed more with the lump out straight out to the wing or in the box. Also agree with a few comments already made on other threads that Boston have 2 wings not just one, From the games i have seen so far the only problem i have seen is we always seem to rush the ball when it aint needed to be rushed and hold the ball to long then miss a opening with our players.

I didnt go yesterday so cant comment but from the past 2 i have seen i nearly every attack we have made we have run throu semple but i watch in dismay that we pass the ball to semple who has 3 to 4 players within a few feet from him when our other winger has been wide open and nearlly a car park of space in front of him.

Our Tactics and choices are letting Boston down not dead wood

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »
It was poor yesterday no doubt about it. First half we shaded it, getting a lot of joy down the left predominantly with Semple but also Jellyman. Also thought Milnes had a good first half. Second half they cut the supply to Semps off and our only other ploy was to hit it long to Jason Lee which they dealt with really easily. This allowed them to get on top and it only looked a matter of time before they scored. Once they scored the goal they sat on the lead and looked really comfy, can't remember their keeper making a save second half and they could have added more towards the end.

It was a game between 2 sides playing almost identical football, big balls forward and looking to feed off the scraps. All game long I could hear their keeper and defenders shouting about winning second balls and tbh they have played that way every time we play them and are more accomplished at it than we are.

With JL playing the temptation is always going to be to hit it long. When they first took over (JL and LC) I thought we tried to play a lot more football on the floor than when S & H where managers, but we've slowly gone the other way until we are now predominantly a long ball team. Even though he has done well of late I think maybe now is time for JL to call it a day and concentrate on the managerial side.

As we are playing the top 5 + Bishops Stortford most people are expecting 3 or 4 points so we don't really have anything to lose by changing things round. I'd like to see us utilise our better ball players (Milnes, Semple, Sleath) and keep the ball on the floor. Maybe a risky strategy to change styles against the top 5 but I don't see us getting many points playing like yesterday.