Author Topic: Referees job  (Read 5512 times)

Seenbetter

Referees job
« on: August 23, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »
Firstly can I draw your attention to my name change because Seenbetter is Seeingbetter. Hope to change it again as the season progresses.
In RS interview after Kendal game he said we can expect a tough physical game at Frickley. A game should only be as tough and physical as the ref allows. I heared a ref say once that it was his job to ensure that there were still 22 players on the pitch at the end of a game, maybe not the same 22. The ref is there to protect the players against nasty pre-meditated tackles from idiot players who are allowed to get away with it on a regular basis because they are not good enough to win games with footballing skill. Please someone, don't tell me that chopping players down and getting away with it is skill. In my opinion refs in our league are not brave enough to stand up against this sort of player.

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: Referees job
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
See my posting "New season, same old problems" on 9th August.

It's not just our league. It's happening at all levels. We pay lip service to cleaning up the game, but plough on in the same old way.

A further thought. Am I the only one who has noticed that more players commit offences worthy of sending off since the "rigid" red card system was introduced than ever happened in the old days? How about a rebate on the entrance fee if the game finishes with fewer than 22 players? If I go to the theatre, I do not expect to watch half of the show with one of the actors missing. End of Grumpy Old Man rant.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:05:32 PM »
With Saturdays game even though the reff was poor judging by his very limited maths ability i think he has to be commended on learning the basic rules of the game. Don,t know how many people noticed ( sure the assessor would ) that when moving the Kendal wall back at free kicks 1st half he only managed to count to 9 yards.  Near the end of the match when Boston got a free kick near the edge of the box he could only manage to stride out 8 yards ,

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:28:25 PM »
With Saturdays game even though the reff was poor judging by his very limited maths ability i think he has to be commended on learning the basic rules of the game. Don,t know how many people noticed ( sure the assessor would ) that when moving the Kendal wall back at free kicks 1st half he only managed to count to 9 yards.  Near the end of the match when Boston got a free kick near the edge of the box he could only manage to stride out 8 yards ,

Presumably he's measured out his paces and each is 1.1 yards long rather than exactly one yard?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
Do people not realise metric is here? 10 yards is 9 METRES.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

chris b

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »
Do people not realise metric is here? 10 yards is 9 METRES.

The Laws of Football state it in metres and yards:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lawsofthegameen.pdf
"All oppponents must be at least 9.15m (10yds) from the ball..."

so I'll alter my previous post:

Presumably he's measured out his paces and each is 1.017m (1.111 yd) long rather than exactly 0.915m (1yd)?

I've rounded to 3 significant figures where appropriate - not sure I can do the correct notation for recurring decimals on the forum?!

Stumpie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:09:34 PM »
if the player's accurate enough he should be able to get it over/round the wall even if it is give or take half a yard too close

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »
I did notice a couple of times, the Kendal full back would put the ball down, wait for the ref to get the wall back, then retreat the ball a yard or two..
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Seenbetter

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »
I think we are delving into the metric/imperialism thing a bit too deep. I reckon the person just ran out of fingers.

Bartmac

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 06:20:27 PM »
Did notice that when he once measured out 9 yards for one free kick, he then went back to where the ball was and moved it back a yard!!  He got that one right. ;)

sshh u no hoo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 08:44:28 AM »
Interesting.

Unless it's for fighting, retaliation or elbowing, I agree, more players at our current level get away with what to  most are red card offences than they ever do in say the premiership

The referees, whose inconsistencies are truly frustrating for all supporters at all clubs, appear to brandish yellows about with glee for the most inconspicuous of misdemeanours, which must be a real revenue generator for the FA

I would be fascinated to find out if any surveys have been carried out, the stats must surely be out there somewhere, as to how many players get straight reds for tackles for example and those who are sent off for getting two yellows however insignificant the crimes might have been
Not only that, do those statistics change the higher a team competes?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »
No need for statistics boo,Ask Steve Evans