Author Topic: Reality ...  (Read 5744 times)

dubai camel

• View Profile
Reality ...
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:32:10 PM »
The reality is ....

BUFC are an average team, couple of decent performances and some very poor ones, unsettled team players still in and out, BUT an average team in a poor league is still mid table with the play offs in sight and an achievable target.

Finances - expensive rent, expensive expenses, owners totally justified in cutting the cloth accordingly. Previous owners got us into this mess and would turn the screw even further if they could.
Poor on the pitch performances undermine the budget and make matters worse, however no club has the right to expect supporters to turn up week in week out to watch a poor show - be it effort wise, results wise or talent wise.

Management, it was a gamble. They know the club but are inexperienced. Advertising for experienced managers then appointing the Lees  wasn't the cleverest move with hindsight, but there we go. Lets hope they learn fast and have the skill set necessary. Too early to sack them, but confidence is key. After Kidsgrove they would have been expecting a bounce back, today's result could be the turning point - either way.

Supporters. No team has the right to expect 100% attendance. Be great if everyone turns up week in week out, but the reality is that is not going to happen. The 'I am a proper supporter your not' threads, hardly help the situation. We are who we are as supporters -  everyone has a right to their say - if it remains civil and not personal.

Big club mentality can be a real burden at any level when the team is struggling. No club has a right to win based on their perceived size and importance, ask Newcastle, West Ham, Leeds, Sheff Weds etc. Expectations are high, in many ways rightly so, ambition can breed success but temper it with a dose of realism every now and again.

So reality is we are where we are because we deserve to be. The grass is not always greener .... but sometimes you have to have a little look over the fence to see - whenever the time feels right  :bunny

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Reality ...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
Good post DC. Even didn't slate the fitness coach.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »
Hope WP went today so we can read his well thought out comments .

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
Well said DC.

I really hate the shitty mentality that people have nowadays that just says 'sack the manager' and everything will be ok. In fact, it really annoys me - lots.

DL

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
DL are you happy with the performances you've seen at York street this season?
Yes or no

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
KON,

Some of them yes, some of them no.

But that's football. You have to accept that you will have good runs, bad runs and indifferent runs - yes, even times when you lose to a team below you in the pyramid - or get tonked six one. Surely you remember this from your playing days ?  I played in the UCL until recently and in one season we went 11 games without a win - only to then win our next 6 - without a change of manager I might add.

Bleating about a new manager is just typical of todays modern football fan. Boston is a back-water in foootballng terms so get real.

DL

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
Ask the chairman this question when the attandances fall below 1000! Results do matter when a club is run as a business.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »
Ask him what question ?

Of course results matter. We have won five of our league games this year and lost five.

My question to you is what action would you take if a new manager was to come in and then lose his first six games ? Would you sack him ? (unless of course you know of a manager that comes with a no defeat guarantee)

DL

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
No! It would take several games to sort this shambles out!

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »
So how many games would you give a new manager ?

Also, what are the potential financial ramifications of departing with the current management team ? Would any severance pay subsequently mean even fewer funds available for new players ?

Why note take a positive spin on things and do all you can in the local community to try and drum up some support for the next home match. You could do that in your line of work. I'd be happy to come to Boston and help you.

DL

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
Agree with DL, constantly changing managers will not guarantee success and may even result in a downturn in results.  The last few results have been poor, no getting away from it but when we appointed inexperienced managers we must have known there would be days like this. It will take time for them to get it right.

Interesting to point out the well publicised fact that one of the most succesful managers of our generation -Alex Ferguson didn't win anything for his first 5 years and in fact three years into his career he had totally lost the confidence of the fans and press judging by this excerpt from wikipedia 'a banner saying "Three years of excuses and it's still crap...ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.'  Also says that he struggled in his early years at Aberdeen and he himself recognised that he didn't have the respect of the players.

Now I'm not saying that we are Manchester United (even though we have a fitness coach) or that Lee or Cannoville are Alex Ferguson.  However it does illustrate that it can take time to establish success and that by having continuity rather than constant change considerable success can be achieved.  Worth noting that Ferguson himself consstantly comes out in support of managers being given time to prove themselves.  What ever you think of him you can't argue with his record.

Seenbetter

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »
Listening to Horton and Tommo talking tonight about Lincoln City you could have easily mistaken them to be talking about Boston. Now Tommo has managerial experience. I'm not saying whether he was good or bad but there was one observation he made which is probably correct. He said that if supporters stop coming to the games, and he knows a few that have,  it is very difficult to get them to come back because they find other things to do with their time and money. So at Boston attendances are falling, results and quality of performances are fallingand, we are one of the most expensive grounds to enter in this league. Apart from being a TRUE supporter (whatever that means ) and lets be honest there aren't that many as a percentage of attendances, where is the incentive to turn up. The income generated by TRUE supporters is not enough to keep the clubs head above water so regular casual supporters are essential Things may get better in the near future but in the mean time people are not bothering.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:14:03 PM by Seeingbetter »