Author Topic: Droylsden  (Read 6330 times)

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
Droylsden
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
Good win lads.  Good game to watch too by all accounts!

Nice to see some pace up front.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Droylsden
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
Thought Chris Hall played well. Unlucky not to get m.o.m

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
Its just a shame it took so long to sort things out really......and it also shows the utter folly of the lazy and shambolic recruitment policy of the summer......

Much better today, amazing how a couple of young, hungry lads can make the difference......lets hope the loan of Burrows can be extended, he looks very promising. And good to see the winner come after the side had withstood a bit of pressure from a very good Droylsden side.

We're not the finished article by a long way but there's something to work with where 3 weeks ago there was just a mess.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
Naughtyforties - It's only September ! You're talking as if it's Christmas and we're really in the mire.

Don't be too proud to admit you've probably been a bit harsh with some of your criticism.

DL

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
There IS still work to be done,but we are now creating chances-something that looked beyond us 2/3 weeks ago.At times we look overrun in cental midfield where it's usually 2 vs 3 but we are working harder and fighting for the result now and don't seem to be carrying any passengers any more.I think we are starting to get there,and 6 points out of 6 in the week-i'll take that thank you very much.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
......lets hope the loan of Burrows can be extended

Lets give him a month and see how it goes first.  He could turn out to be a one hit wonder.

Much improved today and not far off what I predicted in the we're all doomed, sack 'em they're shit thread on the face of one defeat.

This man, he talk sense in the cold light of the next day.  We're missing something and maybe only one player could change our fortunes for the better.  The back four have been tightened up in the last couple of weeks,  Hall seems to be growing into his deeper position.  The form of Semple and Holsgrove is a worry, as is the front two and the misfit that is Newsham who doesn't seem to hold the front position in the current set up or be good enough to play midfield at this level.

We're playing no better or worse than we were that day, we're just turning close defeats into close wins.

Holsgrove gone, two in to give Newsham a bit of a push
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 08:43:55 PM »
It was baffling to see both the new forwards start on the bench and leave the unsuccessful partnership of Lee and Newsham to struggle through the first half. Lee worked well in all fairness, but Newsham is too slow to latch onto any decent knock ons Lee produces. Surely the lesson from the previous 10 games is the lack of pace in our attack, yet we leave two capable strikers on the bench and start with the usual uninspiring attacking efforts. We looked comfortable in defence and midfield in the first half, granted they didn't pose much of a threat through their slow and sluggish approach. This put the onus on oursleves to come at them and really attack them. If we'd of put more pressure on them going forward, Droylsden were there for the taking.

Second half we'd changed our forwards and was rewarded with goals, but Droylsden also played much better to their credit. They looked dangerous at times and we somehow managed to survive several goal scoring opportunities for the visitors. Our midfield and defence seriously deteriorated in the second half, hence the quick equaliser. We looked like we lacked the confidence and conviction to kill games off and not let the opposition get back into the game.

The frightening thing about our season so far is we've yet to come up against teams who are expected to do well and who will truely test us. If we don't start getting our act together sooner or later, playing the better teams will result in many a loss. The positives are that we're winning, albeit not in a convincing fashion, but still picking up points and remaining on the edge of the play off zone. Like others have said, we've got the peices of the jigsaw here, the managers just need to put them in the right places.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
It was baffling to see both the new forwards start on the bench and leave the unsuccessful partnership of Lee and Newsham to struggle through the first half. Lee worked well in all fairness, but Newsham is too slow to latch onto any decent knock ons Lee produces. Surely the lesson from the previous 10 games is the lack of pace in our attack, yet we leave two capable strikers on the bench and start with the usual uninspiring attacking efforts. We looked comfortable in defence and midfield in the first half, granted they didn't pose much of a threat through their slow and sluggish approach. This put the onus on oursleves to come at them and really attack them. If we'd of put more pressure on them going forward, Droylsden were there for the taking.

Second half we'd changed our forwards and was rewarded with goals, but Droylsden also played much better to their credit. They looked dangerous at times and we somehow managed to survive several goal scoring opportunities for the visitors. Our midfield and defence seriously deteriorated in the second half, hence the quick equaliser. We looked like we lacked the confidence and conviction to kill games off and not let the opposition get back into the game.

The frightening thing about our season so far is we've yet to come up against teams who are expected to do well and who will truely test us. If we don't start getting our act together sooner or later, playing the better teams will result in many a loss. The positives are that we're winning, albeit not in a convincing fashion, but still picking up points and remaining on the edge of the play off zone. Like others have said, we've got the peices of the jigsaw here, the managers just need to put them in the right places.

Bugger me and there was I thinking I had seen a decent Conf North game today. Oh well back to the drawing board.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
You did Dave, it was good value but it doesn't hide the fact its still a work in progress

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
About six players out injured in recent matches and we have got within a point of the play-offs ,  must be making a bit of progress .  
Not seen or heard comments in recent weeks to the effect Shaun Pearson is irreplaceable nor moans that the reseaves are not given a chance .   Looks like the managers have put these complaints to bed by one much criticised pre-season signing .

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
Pride of Lincolnshire we have played Halifax - they are expected to do well and we held our own against them.

I thought it was the right decision with the attackers that started. I think it worked well that we were able to change it and inject an element of surprise witht he different approach of Fairclough and Burrow.

Just think we need someone to hold more in midfield. Although did ok ish out on the left, I would rather him anchor in the centre of the park and stick Milnes out wide as he does put in a good cross.

DL

Robbo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
BUFC seem to settle one dept down only for another one to start underperforming.  Today, after a good start to the season, the midfield decided it was their turn , (as a previous poster has also stated), in particular Hally and Milnesy, the former being a revelation last Sat at Blyth, esp in the first half.

Today, across all of the XI, (not just Hall and Milne), had they thought about it, took a look up and played a 10 yard pass instead of trying to spray a killer ball 40 or 50 yards from one side of the pitch to the other, then we could have been well out of sight rather than struggling to run the clock down at corners etc, towards the end of the game.  Same in front of goal where either a firm shot, (Semps), or a pass across the face (Danny), to a better placed teammate, could have given us a cushion when we needed it.

Even so, as ever, still very proud of ALL the lads who wore the shirt, not seen us a play a good side yet, which rather than worrying about when we play one of the higher placed sides, is making me feel positive that we can build it up, and we will gradually mount a push for the play offs.  Defence looks better, forward situation has been addressed, just need a midfielder who can 'sit' and another option out wide to put some pressure on Ryan and Hally. 

Two inexperienced managers, who seem to be learning and have BUFC at heart - they need our support, keep the faith!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:54:57 PM by Robbo »

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 09:38:42 AM »
You did Dave, it was good value but it doesn't hide the fact its still a work in progress

At last you admit it. Let the progress be made, and leave them to it. We've hit the point in the season, where the managers realised all was not perfect, so have changed the squad around. We're only 7 weeks in...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »
I really enjoyed the game.

The passing from both sides was, at times, really good, and at least we now create chances up front. Impressed with the new players.

Very entertaining afternoon.

Six points from six.

Keep it going

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »
Like the Halifax game, I thought we saw two decent teams on Saturday, fairly evenly matched.  I'd expect Halifax and Droylsden to be in or around the play off places by the end of the season, so hopefully we can too.

We are still getting over-run in midfield, although I appreciate that the tactics on Saturday were to press high up the pitch to stop Droylsden playing it out from the back (which will naturally leave space if they can get the ball forward) - that worked, as they eventually had to resort to playing longer balls, which is not their usual game.

Biggest plus is our defence, which looks reasonably solid.  We have the meanest defence in the league - not that you would believe it at times! 

Biggest negative for me is Newsham's form - he looks off the pace, slow to react and a bit slow generally.  Is it the effect of the injuries he has had?  Maybe he's lost a yard of pace and a bit of sharpness?  Or is he just low on confidence?  We've had a few goalscorers over the years who have been less effective after an injury (Colin Garwood, Simon Grayson, even Gary Jones to an extent) - would be a shame if Newsh was another.