Author Topic: Boston United v Vauxhall Motors  (Read 12751 times)

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
Boston United v Vauxhall Motors
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
I went to watch Boston on Tuesday night v Histon and was impressed and thought the side could only get better with only one player that stood out to be completely out of his depth. I thought first game of the season give him a change. Today we were absolute dros and said player shouldn't ever play for Boston United ever again. We did improve in the second half which wasnt difficult. I'm afraid on that performance we are back to the Tommy Taylor days. Kevin Austin MOTD, with a few others like Jellyman, Milne  slightly improving second half. Milly played o.k but overall hugely dissapointed and frustrated.  >:(

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boston United v Vauxhall Motors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »
No getting away from the fact we were very poor today.Some have been saying for some time that we lack the strength in depth of last seasons squad,and today proved it.Really poor first half,some improvement second with more energy,but still lacking quality especially up front.Few of them came out of the game with much credit.Austin was o.k.,Milnes showed in glimpses,but i thought Jordan Fairclough was our most energetic player and had a decect game.Other than that there was nothing positive to take from that game.Equally worrying today was the gate.It looks like some have already decided to vote with their feet.................

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
Milllson should have started, game improved when he came on and was fantastic against Histon. Main problem at the moment is the defence, if we was fit Canners in the middle could be the answer but it sounds like he will be out for several weeks so I think we need to bring someone in if we can; no clean sheets in all games this season speaks volumes. Keeping clean sheets th last couple of years and sneaking 1-0's in games when we weren't playing well like today were the key to our achievements. 433 seems to work better than 442 so far so hopefully we will go with that Tues.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »
All sides are entited to an off day, this side might not bad as good as the previous sqaud.

I'm not going to make out we played well today because it was quite obvious we had a poor day at the office

BUT,does anyone remember when S/H first came to YS we didn't win at home until October and people saying our seaoson was over after we lost to Lowestoft in the FA Cup.

By all accounts if this becomes a regular thing have a moan from time to time, but if the effort is there just accept there are better sides in this divison and get on with it, don't go to games just to pick out errors.
Boston fans in general are the fickle, best fans in the World when things are going well but as soon as things aren't as merry they moan, groan and boo.

One thing i'm glad about is i didn't hear any boos today, because i can remember when we lost to Ashton the team left to a chrous of boo's which i think set the tone to the season, it's a vicious circle.

Oh and whoever spat at the keeper? proper tough man you are, i'm all for banter but spitting at anyone is poor, bet whoever it was wouldn't do that on the street to a random person.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
The spitting incident was way over the line. The guy was stopped by security. If it was up to me he would be spending the night behind bars - act like an animal and expect to be treated the one. The vauxhall goalie provided good banter both today and last April. Out of hand, ban him from York Street for the season.

Deeping Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:21:31 PM »
Another quality unbiased ref today!  ::)   

I'm surprised Lee didn't put Stones on 15-20 mins from the end, I know he's unproven at this level but he should have been given a chance.  The extra height and physical presence might have helped.

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
I felt robbed before I even got into the ground when I bought a programme - £3 is absolutely disgusting and £12 for that garbage is shocking. Thanks for ripping us good fans off Dave. We won't all be here chucking money in the pot for the rest of our lives.
Awaits the usual predictable responses....

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
Maybe the club could offer a deal similar to last season - pay full price for 2 games and get the third for £5?

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »
I felt robbed before I even got into the ground when I bought a programme - £3 is absolutely disgusting and £12 for that garbage is shocking. Thanks for ripping us good fans off Dave. We won't all be here chucking money in the pot for the rest of our lives.

A bit harshly put but this is what i was alluding to earlier when i said about people voting with their feet.£1 more to get in,another 50p on th programme-fans won't pay it if they believe they are paying £1.50 more for what they think is an inferior product,particularly in difficult times financially.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Really hard one for the club to get right with the need to breakeven whilst still being competitive on the pitch and offereing fans good value for money. Lets give the lads a chance though atleast we have had our wake up call now and hopefully performances will improve.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
I'm surprised Lee didn't put Stones on 15-20 mins from the end, I know he's unproven at this level but he should have been given a chance.  The extra height and physical presence might have helped.

I agree.

It is a big step up from reserve team to Blue Square North, but on the other hand:-

(1) Jason Lee and Lee Canoville awarded him a first team contract in the summer, so they must think he is up to the step-up.

(2) Stones sometimes looked a bit out of his depth in pre-season, but on the other hand he seemed to get into the right positions to score goals. At Lincoln United for example. When other things aren't working perhaps you need a striker with a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

(3) He's been injured recently but was on the subs' bench today. If he wasn't fit enough to do a job for even a few minutes, why was he even there?

(4) We were losing with only minutes remaining, but the margin was still tight. In those circumstances (particularly at home) I'd like to see us take off one of the full-backs, put an extra striker on and throw everything but the kitchen sink at the opposition. We'd have nothing to lose.

(5) Stones did enough on his debut last season to score after only a few minutes - against Vauxhall Motors!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:17:51 PM »

A bit harshly put but this is what i was alluding to earlier when i said about people voting with their feet.£1 more to get in,another 50p on th programme-fans won't pay it if they believe they are paying £1.50 more for what they think is an inferior product,particularly in difficult times financially.

And if I'd said that I'd have had all the brains trust on here spewing obscenities at me....... :-\

I'd not put it so strongly but so far after two home games and 1 point from the two I'm completely underwhelmed by my matchday experience.

But I did say I thought we looked nothing like as strong as last season and that the recruitment policy was shabby in the extreme.

Hate to say 'I told you so'........

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »

Hate to say 'I told you so'........
2 home games in, season over?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 09:47:06 PM »
No, but 1 point out of 6 is hardly a great springboard is it? :-\

And over 100 people missing from the midweek gate too........

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
The size of the gate was very worrying.  From an atmosphere point of view, that's as poor as I can remember for a long time - small crowd, no noise until second half.  First half played in virtual silence - hard to believe it is the same support that sings for 90 mins away from home, even at games like Droylsden last season (when there was certainly nothing to sing about!)
So many people come on here saying why don't we sign this player or that player, but this club does not break even at the moment.  If gates stay at the current levels, I'd expect budget cuts will be necessary before Christmas.  If you want to support the club and see it do well, you need to show your support by paying your money at the gate.  I accept not everyone can go to every game (many of our fans live away from the area, some can't afford to go every week etc), but if you choose not to go to the home games and support the club financially, it's a bit rich to complain when we can't afford new players.
If you think £3 is too much for a programme, don't buy it!  You also don't have to buy a 50/50 ticket or golden goal.  I do and I sit in the main stand, so that is £20 + £25 fuel costs for each home game.  Today I don't feel that I got good value for that, but many times over the last 2 years I have had excellent value, so I won't worry about one game. 
Tomorrow is another day, Tuesday is another game and Nuneaton have started worse than us.  Let's bounce back with a better performance there.