Author Topic: Scam Warning: Microsoft Global Tech Support  (Read 19391 times)

Bunyan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Scam Warning: Microsoft Global Tech Support
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
Scam Warning: Microsoft Global Tech Support
'
Received a phone call from the above 'company' earlier this evening. Their patter and MO was exactly as described in the article below.It sounded as though it was from an Indian call centre.  They wanted access to my computer in order to put the problem right. As I had never heard of them I declined their offer and then googled the scam. Don't know if they are targetting this area but thought I would just make fellow patterers aware of this scam.

April 16 2010, 3:10 pm
In the line of private detective work we regularly hear about cons and scams. Some will get found out quite early on, others will stay under the radar for quite some time and are eventually brought to an end. However, perhaps the worst kind of scam is one that comes and goes. Some of you may have already had this, it has been around a while but it seems to be rearing its ugly head again.

You get a call claiming to be to Microsoft Global Tech Support or similar. They tell you that they have detected that you have received malware on the computer and they will put you through to a tech who can sort it out. Another guy comes on and asks you to go to your computer and takes you through to your event viewer. This will show errors that have occurred on your system. So far so plausible. But the whole point is that everybody at some time will have these errors but they claim they have a solution but they need to take over your computer to ‘sort it out’.

BIG RED FLAG – Don’t let anybody you don’t know take over your computer remotely!

If you let these guys in they will load on software which will cause serious problems. They will then try and scam you for money to get the software to work. But if you’ve got this far you’ve totally had it. If you pay – and it seems the amounts are £150 – £200 for the ‘upgrade’ it still won’t work. And they have your credit card details and have had access to all the data on your computer – just use your imagination what this can mean.

This scam is being operated out of Pakistan and India. If at any time you want to call a halt they’ll happily give you a name and UK number to call back on. In some cases they will even refer you to a website which looks genuine.

Don’t fall for it. It is feasible that when you get an application crash and you report it to Microsoft that Microsoft could link the IP address to any software that you might have registered with them which might have included your telephone from the same PC. But if they went to all that trouble why couldn’t they tell me what operating system I was using? There is no way any call like this could be coming from anybody authorised by Microsoft to do so. There is a private investigator in all of us, some might call it intuition or instinct

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: Scam Warning: Microsoft Global Tech Support
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »
I have a blackberry

Poros

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:05:40 AM »
Had a similar call last week. No. 00 showed on the phone, said my pc may be infected.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
Had a similar call about a month ago, told them to seek employment at the Foreign Office.  ;D

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:17:36 AM »
I had a similar call a couple of months ago. Since my laptop is always bugg8ring me about I sort of believed him, but as the world's greatest sceptic I asked him how I was to know if he was really from Microsoft and put the phone down. It rang again immediately but I ignored it. I'll never know but better safe than conned.

I've also had two invitations from HMRC to claim a tax rebate which would have meant me giving away my bank details. Yeah! Right!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
It's been mentioned on BBC Lincs this morning!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
Just had the call . Sounded to be from a Indian call centre,  Told the lady she had got British Inelligence H Q .  She said sorry and rang off.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
Just tell them to बंद बकवास!

RamMalc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 06:46:51 AM »
You do have to laugh at times how gullible the scammers think we all are , a friend had a similar experience and as i pointed out to him seeing as he only has a laptop for work which when at home only connects via mobile AP  how on earth could Microsoft have got his home phone number and relate the laptop to it lol

these folks are no better than the door step con merchants pretending to be from the council or BT but far far easier to spot with even only  the smallest common sense

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 09:07:18 AM »
Got my call from an "American" call centre about 3 weeks ago. He was obviously Indian/Pakistani
When i told him i was reluctant to let him access my pc he got a bit uppitty.
Lets be right, all those trying to access your pc/bank accounts are THIEVES.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
It is amazing how many, seemingly intelligent, people do fall for these people.  In a previous company, I dealt with a board member of an international energy compnay who had lost £4,000.  At that rate, one hit a month gives a nice income!

Seems like they are currently wardialling 0205!

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
just had the phone call myself, told them i'd like to speak to their supervisor cause i could hardly understand them. surprise surprise my phone went dead