Author Topic: Mather Cup  (Read 3274 times)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Mather Cup
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
Just a quick question: did Town get awarded the Mather Cup after beating our hapless band of bloody rubbish, relegation-bound no-hopers (© Farmer Dan 2011) t'other day, or has that mad shizzle now fallen by the wayside?

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mather Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
Might be worth taking it to Eggy and see what it's worth!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »
Thats what Gordon  Brown should have done a few years ago with our gold.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
When was the last time we competed for it?

I seem to remember old Fat Boy promising us a 'special night' when Derby sent their reserves down to compete for it about 10 or 12 years ago but I can't remember anything much since then. Certainly the  Wily Old Fox has nothing down on his site since that Derby game.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
Hmmmm, maybe I'm mistaken. I could have sworn it was awarded to the winners of Town v United games in pre-season, but a quick look at Craig's site leads me to think perhaps my brain cells are dying off in my old age as there's no mention of it. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with the Brian Clough Trophy or something that two pub teams round here play for. Either way, maybe it'd be an idea for Dave to send Neil into the loft to bring it down and give it a dusting off for future Boston derby games? That way at least one club in Boston is certain of some silverware every year!

And Andy, yeah I remember that Derby game. I popped along - I remember it being very foggy, that we won, and that Derby were absolute garbage.....

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
United did play Town for the Mather Cup in November 1996 and United won 4-1.

I had a brief chat with John Blackwell about the possibility of getting another Mather Cup game organised sometime, but he wasn't hopeful. Said clubs want too much money nowadays to turn up.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
Where's Jim Smith these days?

You could usually rely on him to bring a side down, he did with Colchester, Newcastle and Derby.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
United did play Town for the Mather Cup in November 1996 and United won 4-1.

I had a brief chat with John Blackwell about the possibility of getting another Mather Cup game organised sometime, but he wasn't hopeful. Said clubs want too much money nowadays to turn up.

That was a midweek game wasn't it, part of the Carl Smaller deal?

I reckon they should just have the Town v United game as an annual pre-season thing and play for the Mather Cup - increases the interest in what would otherwise be a pretty meaningless training match by 4.3% for just 0.2% extra effort. Bosh.