Author Topic: Tonights game  (Read 13286 times)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights game
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:32:13 PM »
Desmond
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

goodyntu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
2-2 HT

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
  Is J F  getting stuck in . .
            Or is he too busy Tweeting ?

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:17:54 PM »
Farmer Dan! Plenty of them stand near me every week!

Gus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
A few good performances last night but also some poor ones.

Holsgrove and Hall stood out, Parker very solid, Deane ran his socks off, Ogden also.

Not too sure about Mickey Stones yet who appears lazy, but he was in the right place at the right time for his goal.  Thompson a no-no for me.  Stevens looked ok and JJ surprised at times with his speed but never really got into the game.

I am sure there will be more United fans at Town on Saturday, with plenty of comments to follow then, but there was a good turnout last night with most just happy to see a game again.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
I think Thompson is a centre back, but was pushed into midfield as Semple had another migraine. Definitely a performance to build on, and I can't see Hocking being signed...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
My views of players last night:

Bastock: Solid but didn't have too much to do other than pick the ball out the net a couple of times. Wasn't at fault for either goal.
Canoville: Kept the youngsters in defence calm, got on the scoresheet. Usual Canoville performance.
Parker: Best of the trialists, a player who, if he hadn't been injured would never have left. Hope we sign him on.
Ward: Best player on the pitch last night, reminded me of Pearson when he first came here. Raw but a lot of potential. Thought the same last season when I saw him v Stamford.
Jelleyman: Poor game by his usual high standards.
Ogden: Another reserve player I am impressed with. Created a goal and a constant threat down the right. Worth another look.
Thompson: Not impressed at all, but as said was out of position. Think we have better players suited to CB though so one to let go.
Sleath: As with Jelly poor by his high standards.
Holsgrove: Looks a very good signing. Can see him playing just behind a front 1/2 if he can't be accomodated on the wing.
Joachim: Poor. Made a good run first 5 mins but after that ran out of steam quickly. Needs to fitten up alot. Another to let go.
Suarez: Looked decent. Will need a good partner up front though, hopefully Newsh or a.n.other.

Drury: Good backup keeper, not at fault for the goal he conceded and made one outstanding save.
Fairclough: Steady but unspectacular. Got caught out a couplr of times high up the pitch but other times failed to get forward when adequetly covered.
Hocking: Poor. Another to let go.
Stevens: Not as good as I hoped. Worth another look but not a gimme for a contract IMO.
Austin: Didn't really get into the game, maybe because he isn't a left back.
Deane: Played quite well and like Ogden worth another look.
Millson: Not the Milly of old but showed signs he is returning to fitness. Went in for a few challenges he was pulling out of after the leg breaks so confidence is returning. Potentially a shrewd signing.
Hall: Sprayed some good balls out mainly to Field. Looked sharp.
Field: Got plenty of the ball and had the beating of the fullback, too many times his crosses where poor though.
Stones: Very poor. No pace, no finesse, passes went astray. Is basically a battering ram of a forward and having seen him 3 or 4 times now definately not the answer up front.
Hodgson: Anonymous.

As a team a poor performance especially defensively. But there where some good individual performances. Pearson I don't think will be the loss everyone thinks he will (defensively) once the team and especially the back 4 "gel". Pearson's goals however aren't going to be so easy to replace.

Church on the other hand has left a massive hole in the middle and what I saw last night there isn't anyone currently on trial to replace him. Milly has the potential to but would need a season or 2 to be anywhere near.

The other main area we are lacking is up front. We need a fit Newsh and another 1 or maybe even 2 strikers. JJ, Stones and Hodgson are not the answer, this is the main area of concern (as it was last season).

Apart from that we look like we have the makings of a decent squad. Add Liam Parker and 1 or 2 others from the trialists (I'm thinking Stevens, Millson and Ogden) and we're not far short.

Bob Lee

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Thanks for your opinions, would be nice to think we are just a player or two away from last years time.

I want more matches like the Guiseley one.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
I can remember Tony 'The Crane' Cranes first trial game at YS he was pants. I can remember speaking to Craig and saying how poor TC was and was astonished to be told he was going to be offered a contract  then as they say the rest was history, so all I am saying is don't write anyone off on 45 minutes of football at least have another look at them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:54:46 PM by Tash »
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
 Just a sort of of pie in the sky question . .
   Would anyone have  functioned better if someone who played in the other half's squad had played with them  ?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »
May be worth giving Hodgson at least a half with Suarez..
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
I can remember Tony 'The Crane' Cranes first trial game at YS he was pants. I can remember speaking to Craig and saying how poor TC was and was astonished to be told he was going to be offered a contract  then as they say the rest was history, so all I am saying is don't write anyone off on 45 minutes of football at least have another look at them.
Tis a fair point but 45 minutes is all we have on a lot of them. Stones however I've seen 3 or 4 times as I mentioned and he's not up to Conf North and IMO would be a disaster if we relied on him as one of our main goal threat. Joachim has been going downhill for several seasons and clearly his pace has now gone due to age, without it he hasn't much to offer, again IMO.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
Any of the old guard that are sniffing round for a last hurrah want binning and a fresh look on things taking.  This is what was great about S&H, they knew nothing of our baggage.  Canners and Lee need to spread the net if we're to dig up the next Church or Pearson. 

We also need to get lucky on a striker and sign an up and coming looking to prove himself or a old dog who knows his way around the BSN nets.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 05:51:09 PM »
Not going to be as easy as last pre-season when we able to keep EVERY player the club wanted allowing the managers to hand pick the few gaps in the squad resulting in them all being sucsessfull in McKeown,Murphy,Jellyman and Hunter.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
http://www.bostonstandard.co.uk/sport/football/boston-united/canoville_ready_to_axe_unwanted_trialists_1_2860967

My guess is we'll give the ones C/L aint sure about on Saturday and run-outs to those they're keen to keep

then from then on release whoever is not wanted, then hopefully sign a few more outright signings which will have a few games to bed into the side as well as the odd trialist