Author Topic: FC United vs. Boston United - Match Thread  (Read 65357 times)

Pilgrims67

• View Profile
Re: FC United vs. Boston United - Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 09:07:20 AM »
Yes, we must have at least 3 players for every position, however financial reality is that isn't going to happen, players have to play in more than one position.
I see premier teams hanging on to a lead with last 15 minutes to go, momentum is always with the team chasing the game, that's why teams make comebacks. The effort of the players to hold on was first class, the defended in numbers and threw everything at the ball, it has been a few years since I have seen a united team work so hard, and so committed to keeping a lead, in recent past seasons we would have capitulated and lost. We didn't and that shows real team spirit.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »
Personally thought for an hour we where superb, we stopped them playing their passing game, passed the ball well and scored 2 good goals. Davidson had 2 other great chances and Sleath also had a very good chance and on another day we would of been out of sight. This led to frustration from them and they where very lucky to finish with 11 as 2 or 3 of theirs should of gone. In this time I can't really recall them opening us up at all.

Last half hour was a different matter, not sure whether it was the substitutions that changed the game or us thinking the job was done or maybe a bit of both but they laid siege to our goal and it was a combination of good luck, good goalkeeping, poor finishing from them and defenders throwing themselves in front of the ball that prevented us from losing the lead. As Pilgrim67 has said it is a rare attribute to have a team that committed to the cause to not lose the lead and this cannot be underestimated.

As someone else has said we went far too deep in that last half hour but for me a more telling factor was that we stopped passing the ball and started hitting it long. All this did was build pressure and momentum for them as they just stroked the ball about and came back with wave after wave of attack.

It was a great result and not many teams will go to there and take 3 points but there is always lessons to be learnt and I'm sure Rob and Paul will be working with the team to put right what went wrong in the last half hour. For me the biggest thing is we musn't revert to a long ball game as it really doesn't suit this team and on another day we may get punished.

Finally must mention the turnout from Boston, as has been said must have been over 300 and maybe even as many as 400 well done to all on a fantastic opening day let's have more of the same.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
All of their forward players: 7, 8, 9. 10 & 11 however,all overstepped the line one way or another. I've not seen many players as petulant as 10.

I thought that too, but I couldn't spell petulant  ;D
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Seenbetter

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »
First of all what a great result. Terrific effort and congrats to the lads for not retaliating under extreme provocation. It's interesting that some of their supporters I spoke to thought that we were the bad guys on the day. Their number 4 should have seen red card for violent behaviour for the way he kicked our lads legs away from behind after the ball had gone. It was done right in front of the ma(sorry, nearly put man) person in the black fancy dress. What a tosser. All he did was warn the player about the tackle when he should have at least reached for a card. That person was a poor excuse for a ref and shouldn't be put in charge of a blow football game. At least two of their players should have been sent off for late tackles.

Now, what happened in the last 30 mins?. Played just like Boston played under Evans. Just kick it long and hope theres someone there to get it..We were very lucky to win that game despite the efforts of our gladiators. Good job we have no mid week game, will need the break for the players to recover from the assaults.
Roll on next Saturday.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
All of their forward players: 7, 8, 9. 10 & 11 however,all overstepped the line one way or another. I've not seen many players as petulant as 10.

Didn't he play a game for us early last season before going to Lincoln  :D

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »

Didn't he play a game for us early last season before going to Lincoln  :D

I thought Jackson discovered him walking through Romania with his wife on his back and a football at his feet!

thepilgrims

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 11:19:58 AM »
i thought tom evans won us the game in the second half with two top class saves.

the_itch

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »
hello all

lovely to see so many of you yesterday at the estadio gigg. i know our players may have upset you a little, certainly tunji 'son of remi' moses proved himself to be a chip off the old bone, and si carden tried his best to replicate houdini's amazing bending bone trick, but in our defence, or rather in a childish sense of 'yeah but', your number two was a shithouse, and your number 11, in the red boots, was, apparently 'a tart'.

so there we have it.

you totally deserved the win. first half you bossed our midfield despite the bruise brothers. and while we pegged you back for the last twenty minutes or so, the damage (errm, literally I suppose, in the case of the guy stretchered off with swamp fever) had been done. fc united are good at this whole going behind, getting the crowd going, before losing valiantly. it's shit.

good luck for the season. it's always nice having a proper football club come visit.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words itch,but I must take issue with a couple of points.First,I have it on good authority our number 11 (Clarke) is not a tart,and second,his boots were not red,they were a sort of candy pink.............. ;)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind words itch,but I must take issue with a couple of points.First,I have it on good authority our number 11 (Clarke) is not a tart,and second,his boots were not red,they were a sort of candy pink.............. ;)

I thought Dorothy clicked her heels and ran off last season?  ;D

the_itch

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »

so we're in agreement on your number 2 then? super.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 12:42:28 PM »
Can't remember saying that.So no,no agreement on our number 2 (Chris Wood). ;D

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Wingers and Tactics
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »
 Just a word about about  wingers .or our lack of them..
   FCUM  had 2 .. who made a nuisance of themselves..
     We had no pure wingers on show ..but used others on the wing  
        We would agree our attack yesterday was basically a fluid arrow head formation with players constantly swapping postions..this got us  2 goals..
         With the wide men ..FCUM had more attacking ..and possibly defensive ..options which told in the last Quarter..
        So it looks like 4 3 3  .. Chelsea style .. for us 4 now , and don't play it too deep ..!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:40:38 PM by fTed »

Seenbetter

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »
I hate to say this after such a good result but If we had a weakness on the field it was our Number 2, but in fairness to him their 10 was a bit good on the left, shame he was such a pratt and ended up with the majority of our supporters on his back instead of having them thinking he was a bit good. We could do with him in the team with his talent.
It was good to see H or S, the tall one anyway, with his fist in the air at the end. Made you feel that this club is about winning and success now instead of screwing it. After yesterdays effort next Saturday deserves a crowd of around 1500+ so lets get those missing from the terraces to turn up and support the club instead of turning their backs when things went wrong because of the Scottish virus.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »
 Who was our No 2..?
    Thought Woodie was very tidy ..tho not quite fulfilling the wing -back role he tried at times..
     If its Cullingworth .. did n't really notice anything from him..
        Thought he was supposed to be a centre back ? no way I think ..
          Hope he's not another Tom Matthews..
  I kept confusing him ..Newsh  .. and was it Sleath ? as they all look boyish..
     Maybe one young head too many for future games..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:18:50 PM by fTed »