Author Topic: First Managerial Casualty of the Season  (Read 12573 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
First Managerial Casualty of the Season
« on: August 14, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
Gunn  - fired from Norwich !

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: First Managerial Casualty of the Season
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »
Disgusting to sack him.A Norwich legend!

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:38:17 PM »
feel for him tbh ,one bad result which yes was utter embarssing for norwich as it would be anyone

but too sack him ?  ???

people slate players for loyalty

how about chairman loyalty  towards managers

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
 Yes ..but he's been firing blanks .........

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
what a joke

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »
Inevitable really, even though they did win their last game 3-0.

What other manager can say he got fired on the back of a 3-0 win?

Raymondo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »
As well as a Boston supporter I am also a Norwich City supporter, I am disgusted with the way Gunn has been treated. Spent many seasons as one of the best keepers City had had since Sandy Kenyon. Only took over full time reins in May after he became caretaker manager following Glenn Roeders departure last January, Gunn's replacement is his former playing partner Ian Butterworth.
One game into a new season and he is out, wonder of the same will happen to Sir Alex if Man Utd  lose their first game? Doubt it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:02:43 PM by Raymondo »

Swineshead Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
ok,chance man u lose 7-1? Be realistic..

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:00:24 AM »
Like Raymondo, I support both clubs (born Friskney, raised family in Dereham).

I was concerned when Gunny was appointed manager, as I knew that a legend would leave under a cloud. He was too loyal to leave for a "bigger" club, and so inevitably the end would come with either walking away from the club that he loved, or being sacked. When he was appointed, I did however, expect to see him around for a fair while.

He inherited a team consisting of a majority of loanees with no club loyalty. He saw out the season with these players and they were relegated. Them not Gunny! He built his own team over the summer on an absolutely bare-bones budget, won or drew all pre-season games, and then lost the first game of the season with the keeper having a nightmare. On the strength of that one admittedly heavy defeat, he went off to the west country, thrashed Yeovil Town in the Carling Cup and remained with his team in the west for tomorrow's game at Exeter. We must therefore assume that there was not a great deal of communication with the board over that distance. And then they sack him!

I would be interested to know how they told him. Could it have been any better timed to cause maximum disruption on the eve of the Exeter game?

From the first promotion to the top flight until the glory days of Munich and third place in the Premiership, we had five managers, three of whom left of their own accord. The last three seasons will have chalked up five managers. Isn't it time for a little stability?

Best of luck to Gunny, whatever he does. A great Scot and a massively loyal Norfolkman.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 03:26:16 AM »
not often does a manager win 4-0 then get sacked. Rubbish and typical of modern football.

Bostons Arab Buyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 09:02:24 PM »
As a Norwich fan aswell as a Boston fan, I find it awful that Gunn has been sacked after 2 games of the new season. It shows the board at Norwich only look at the results not the development of the squad. Take Alex Ferguson for example, he nearly got sacked by Manchester United years ago, but now look at them. It shows that it takes time to make the team develop

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »
After today's result at Goodison Park, may I confidently look forward to the sacking of David Moyes on the eve of the Burnley game, or does the Everton board have a little more common sense than the one in Norfolk?

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
...WISE UP EVERYBODY...........Gunn may be a Canary legend but hes no manager.......he is not a qualified coach,has none of the required "badges" and that dont inspire confidence......he was given a go last season by the Board -and he failed........time for the club to move on........Norwich are a "big" club (at this level) and the fans deserve better......they need a proven manager who can bring some players of substance with him and consequently much needed steel in the first team squad.......so I say (for what its worth) well done to the Board,a hard decision (a bit like Spurs getting rid of Hoddle) to make,but the correct one.................

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »
I think moyes is safe for now, basicly the board think the sun shines out his Arse. wich rightly so they should do as moyes continues to work wonders. There aint to manny out there that has sales making more then incommings each season and still keep a team steady in the top half of the table,

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 10:52:46 PM »
I think I'm wise enough. Norwich are not a big club because they are not where the big clubs are. They are not in a big division and they have not got big club money. They were a big club, mixing it with the best, until a certain chairman sold them down the river, profiting himself but putting the club into millions of debt. From that point they were extremely fortunate to find investors who kept them afloat and showed ambition by the new buildings. However their attitude to investment in the team was over cautious, and now we cannot afford a proven manager. At best we will get somebody from the lower divisions who may be successful with us.

We shall probably never know if Gunn is a capable manager, as he may not be motivated to try with another club. What is certain is that he was not given a chance to prove himself at Norwich. Football history is littered with managers who struggled at the start, but went on to great things.

As for pieces of paper... all they show is that you've been taught ideas that have been tried in the past, but the world moves on. Napoleon didn't go on a training course in the art of warfare, but he managed to have ideas of his own.

Of course I hope that Norwich are more successful in the future, but as we know only too well in Boston; fame is fleeting and there are no guarantees, just optimism.