Author Topic: Goalkeeper McKeown signs Mariners contract. Grimsby Telegraph  (Read 4141 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
GRIMSBY Town bosses Rob Scott and Paul Hurst have made a seventh summer signing with the capture of young goalkeeper James McKeown.

Hurst revealed last week the interest in the 21-year-old who worked under the pair at Boston United on loan last season.

SAFE HANDS: Goalkeeper James McKeown has become Grimsby Town’s seventh summer signing. The goalkeeper has agreed a one-year deal, with the option of another year, at Blundell Park.

Now a deal has been agreed and the former Coventry City trainee has put pen to paper on a year-long deal with the option of a second year.

He moves to Cleethorpes after coming to the end of a six-month contract playing for RKSV Leonidas in Rotterdam, Holland.

And the youngster is ready for the challenge of earning a spot in the Town first-team after leaving Dutch lower league football.

McKeown said: “Everything about Grimsby Town is like a league club; it’s a big club at this level and I’m excited about the challenge ahead.

“I know Kenny (Arthur) is here and it’s good to have competition; it brings out the best in people and hopefully it will with me.

“I worked with Paul and Rob at Boston and know the demands they ask of players and I’m relishing this opportunity now it’s all signed and sorted out.”

McKeown, who left Peterborough in January, makes it a hat-trick of former Boston men following Hurst and Scott to Blundell Park and will compete with Kenny Arthur for the number one jersey next season.

As reported, defender Shaun Pearson and midfielder Anthony Church, pictured, have also arrived from York Street this summer.

The Birmingham-born stopper came through the ranks with Coventry before a spell with Walsall.

He moved to Peterborough in 2007 but spent time out on loan at Kettering and Worcester before linking up with Scott and Hurst at York Street last season.

He had an impressive spell with the Pilgrims, keeping 14 clean sheets in 18 outings.

It’s form that attracted the managers to the 6ft 2ins keeper this summer.

As well as McKeown, Pearson and Church, the Mariners have also signed midfielder Craig Disley, full-back Gary Silk and strikers Damian Spencer and Liam Hearn.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeper McKeown signs Mariners contract. Grimsby Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
One thing that does spring to mind is they seem to be throwing the cash about a bit.

Saying that fenty dd say that they would likely go part time if they dont return to the football league this season

Seenbetter

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:25:46 AM »
Hands up those who give a monkeys about non league football club grimsby town (mines up). I just want to hear how much dosh they give us. As for SWD, I really dont think he will be missed if he moved on. Ok, he did alright for us but I think in the second half of the season he ran round with the energy of a rabbit but thats about it. What we want are goal scorers. There were many games last season that left us wondering who could get them for us and to be honest if it wasn't for Pearson, a defender, scoring some terrific goals we wouldn't have made the play offs.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »
i have to agree with everything you say there Seeingbetter - top post

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »

I hope Newsh does show vast signs of improvement with a full preseason and a run in the side as I'm a little worried about our fire power.  We need a 20 a season man in to fill the gaps left by Pearsons departure.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Spa Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

I hope Newsh does show vast signs of improvement with a full preseason and a run in the side as I'm a little worried about our fire power.  We need a 20 a season man in to fill the gaps left by Pearsons departure.

Agreed. Of the players in the squad so far, the highest scorer last season only got 5 goals (in all competitions!). Without SWD, Churchy & Shaun it's looking thin.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »
Now the SWD situation is sorted, we can get suitable strikers in - different plan if you need a No 1 striker or a support striker to play with SWD. 

We need a goalscorer - either someone who hasn't made it at a higher level (like Clare when he first joined) or someone who has scored loads of goals at a lower level and is ready to step up would probably be ideal.  I don't think there are too many proven goalscorers at our level who are available, so we might need to take a chance on someone - don't criticise the managers because we don't sign Walshaw and Marsh!