Author Topic: Pearson - 'Mariners are the only club for me' Grimsby Telegraph  (Read 1926 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
DEFENDER Shaun Pearson says his summer move to Grimsby Town was never in any doubt in his mind.

Once deciding to quit Boston United, the Pilgrims' player of the year said there was only one club he wanted to join next and that was the Mariners and a reunion with his former bosses Paul Hurst and Rob Scott.

Now that dream is a reality after the 22-year-old signed a two-year deal at Town, though compensation will have to be decided at an FA tribunal.

And he can't wait to take his game to the next level.

Pearson said: "It's been on the cards for a while and I'm pleased to get it all sorted.

"Everybody knows I played for Paul and Rob at Boston and I was quite successful there, as they were.

"When Grimsby came in for me there really wasn't too much for me to think about.

"There were a couple of other things for me to consider.

"But I was always set on coming here and confident it would happen.

"I made my mind up quite early that I wanted to join Grimsby.

"There were a couple of calls from other clubs; I went to listen to what one had to say.

"But in my mind there was never any doubt about where I wanted to come.

"The other club I spoke with would have been a good move for me – but not as good as this one.

"Now it's all signed and sorted and I'm looking forward to the season ahead."

It's been a rapid rise for the York-born centre-back who has been his club's player of the year in each of the last four seasons at Spalding, Stamford and Boston in the past two campaigns.

He's hopeful to have another successful year in 2011/12 at Blundell Park but knows it will be a challenge as he steps up to the professional ranks for the first time.

Pearson went on: "I can't wait to get started.

"I'm coming into the unknown a bit because I'm going full-time and training every day.

"But this is what everybody dreams about doing when they are young; playing football full-time for a living.

"I've got that chance now and hopefully I can take full advantage of it.

"I'm over the moon with how things have gone for me in my career so far.

"I've just kept working hard and hopefully the Grimsby fans will see that this season. Fingers crossed I can carry on the form I've enjoyed.

"I'm under no illusions that I'm going to walk into the team and be a star or anything like that.

"Hopefully I can learn from the players here making the step up. It's a new challenge and I have to prove myself again."

cappo

• View Profile
Re: Pearson - 'Mariners are the only club for me' Grimsby Telegraph
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
still say he is better than the cods at that level
"till saturday comes"

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
yes far better

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
In our rose tinted spectacles yes,but the lack of interest from other clubs suggests otherwise.