Author Topic: Grimsby Town: Disley signs – Pearson close. Grimsby Telegragh June 25th  (Read 1452 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
MIDFIELDER Craig Disley has become Grimsby Town's second signing in as many days after accepting the offer made to him by the Mariners earlier this week.

The 29-year-old has today put pen to paper on a two-year deal.

TOWN TALKS: Boston defender Shaun Pearson has begun contract talks.

And the influx of transfers after Damian Spencer's capture yesterday shows no sign of abating with Boston defender Shaun Pearson close to becoming the fifth arrival.

The highly-rated 22-year-old has been heavily linked with a switch to work with his former Pilgrims bosses and it will come as no surprise there was interest from Town in the man who won multiple player of the year awards at York Street in the last two seasons.

The club yesterday revealed talks over compensation for the player's registration with Boston had hit a brick wall and were heading for a tribunal; but discussions with the player had begun.

Joint boss Rob Scott hopes that deal will be agreed over the weekend and is happy to have secured Disley's services today amid speculation York were planning a late bid.

Scott said: "It's common knowledge we had made an offer to Craig and we are delighted he's agreed to sign because we know other clubs were sniffing around.

"He has good pedigree; he played 29 games for a side that just missed out in the League Two play-offs.

"People may look and say he had an injury but it was a muscular one and not career-threatening; he just lost his place and couldn't get back in.

"I think he's a great signing and one that will make a few people sit up and take notice.

"Midfield is an area Paul and I knew we had to strengthen; we released everyone aside from youngsters Andi Thanoj and Bradley Wood in that department and Bradley hasn't yet proved himself in there regularly.

"We now have Craig and possibly another could be on the way so we are looking okay in there."

Scott's next task is to tie up centre-back Pearson, who would probably complete the defensive quota after Gary Silk's arrival and the graduation of Youth team skipper Charlie I'Anson on a professional deal.

And that could move swiftly now talks are underway.

The managers signed Pearson at York Street and have long-been admirers.

And it seems they wasted no time in targeting the youngster once he had announced he would be leaving the Pilgrims to join the professional ranks this summer.

Scott added: "The chairman has been talking to Boston and we made an offer that wasn't accepted and we won't be increasing that.

"So it's been agreed that will go to tribunal so we have started talking to Shaun.

"Hopefully we can get something agreed with him quickly; maybe as early as next week if we can.

"If we do that will be five new signings and hopefully more still to come.

"I know it was an issue for some that things seemed to be going slowly but Paul and I were never concerned.

"We are happy with what we've got so far as far as signings go."