Author Topic: Appleby’s connections help to win the race for Ashton  (Read 1422 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Appleby’s connections help to win the race for Ashton
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »

Published on Monday 20 June 2011 14:31 (Fenland Citizen)

WISBECH manager Steve Appleby had to beat off other clubs to make Boston United defender Simon Ashton his third capture of the summer last week.

Appleby believes his connections in the Boston area were crucial to landing the 19-year-old who was also being chased by EvoStik League side Stamford, who had him on loan last season, and former Wisbech player Tuncay Korkmaz who is in charge at Deeping Rangers.

Appleby said: “Simon’s young, has fantastic potential and he can be a very good player for Wisbech.

“As I also live in Boston, Simon knows me and trusts me and that’s probably helped us get him because just about every team in the area was keen on him.”

Wisbech may have lost Paul Cousins and Callum Reed to King’s Lynn, but Appleby has responded by bringing in Ashton, fellow defender Neal Spafford and striker Liam Nimmo to the New Fenland Stadium and he now looks to have an even stronger squad than last season already.

Appleby feels the club’s success last season has helped attract a high calibre of signing.

He said: “By finishing fourth in the league and winning the League Challenge Cup this is working in our favour as we managed to make three quality signings. All three players have played at a higher level and their experience can only benefit us in the coming season.”

Appleby is still keen to add to his squad this summer and is currently awaiting a decision from a midfield player who was once on Soham Town’s books.

“I am also speaking to a couple of other players and two have also promised to come along training so they can have a look at us and we can have a look at them,” Appleby added.

“With the players who have already agreed to come and the players we had last season, there is no need for me to panic and just sign anyone. I want to bring in quality players so they can help us achieve our aims in the coming season.”