Author Topic: Anthony Church, Lincs Echo  (Read 3099 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Anthony Church, Lincs Echo
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »
N emotional Anthony Church confessed it was a privilege to play for Boston United after confirming he has played his final game for the club.

The popular midfielder has reluctantly turned down a contract offer to extend his York Street career into a third season.

​Anthony Church 1

USING HIS HEAD: Anthony Church has confirmed he will not be signing a contract to stay at Boston United. The midfielder is seeking to gain employment in the banking sector after leaving university.

Church has almost completed his studies at Loughborough University and insists it would be almost impossible to remain at the part-time Pilgrims while forging a career outside the game.

The 23-year-old, who studied economics, business and finance at Loughborough, is keen to find a job in the banking sector near his native London.

Free agent Church says he is yet to receive an approach from a full-time club and therefore is scouting for a non-league club in the south, ideally in Blue Square South or above.

"I was considering staying at university for another year and doing a Masters which would have allowed me stay up here, but I don't think I would have benefited from that," said Church.

"I had an offer to stay at Boston and it was a good offer, but it's not about that.

"After finishing university, it's just not possible for me to stay up here.

"Even if we'd have gone up to the Conference, I'm not sure if the club would have gone full-time so I probably would have been in the same boat, having to look for somewhere else.

"It might have been different if I was a teenager, but I'm 23 and have to look at a career outside football too. I'm a very ambitious person in everything I do.

"I've told the managers (Jason Lee and Lee Canoville) and the chairman (David Newton). They've been absolutely first-class."

Church admits he leaves York Street with a heavy heart after a success-filled two years, which has seen United win promotion from the UniBond League and reach the Blue Square Bet North play-offs.

The former Ilkeston middleman has been hugely influential during both campaigns. He scored the extra-time winner in the UniBond League play-off final at Bradford Park Avenue 12 months ago and found the net in the dramatic play-off semi-final defeat to Guiseley last month.

"It's hard to leave because the last two years have been absolutely brilliant. It's been a privilege to play for the club, it really has," he added.

"It's special club at this level. You don't find many clubs in non-league who take 500 fans to away games and have 1,500 fans, and more, at home games."

Church's departures marks something of an end of an era at York Street. Defender Kieran Murphy is in the same boat as Church, having also completed his studies at Loughborough.

Highly-rated centre-back Shaun Pearson also looks destined to leave for the professional ranks.

"Leaving this group of players behind will be hard," admitted Church.

"A few of us played together at Ilkeston so it's been three years, which is a long time in football.

"But even the lads who came in towards the end of last season have been made to feel so welcome.

"A lot of us are from different backgrounds, but we've all mixed so well. There are no cliques. We get on so well and only recently a load of us went for a night out at York races.

"I've made friends who I will keep for life.

"You will struggle to recreate what we had at another club.

"If you could bottle it up and sell it, you'd be a rich man."

The Pilgrims have added another friendly to their pre-season programme.

Blue Square Bet Premier outfit Mansfield will visit York Street on Saturday, July 30 (3pm).

The Stags are managed by Paul Cox, who was interviewed for the Boston job before Lee and Canoville were handed the reins on a permanent basis.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: Anthony Church, Lincs Echo
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
Absolutely gutted to see him go. Hes only been here for two seasons , but they have been the most enjoyable for years, and hes been at the heart of it. I think we all knew after watching his interview after the playoff game this was coming.
Looks like Murphs leaving too , another massive loss. Thanks to  you both for giving everthing for our great club, and i wish you all the best for the future .

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:22:54 AM »
Class player, on and off the pitch.

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »
Shame we couldn't have taken a similar approach to Alferton and gone professional over a 3 year period and started this season with Church and Pearson and maybe a couple of new players.
Whether they would have stayed who knows?but at the moment it seems to be alot of negative news, lets hope for something more positive next week, even if its only to state that we are actively looking for quality replacements,young and up and coming players not old journeyman.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
Saw a report a few days ago that said they had only got one player signed ,  (they have signed another one since)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »
I can only wish Anthony and Keiron well in the future, both have been simply 1st class for us and they will be both missed massively. Both will get snapped up in no time by a Woking, a Gravesend or a Hayes down there. And very good luck to them too, neither will look out of place in the Conference.

Compare and contrast with that grasping clown who's gone to Grimity for nothing more than a few extra quid........don't kid us Yeats, its all about money, pure and simple. They've won feck all in the 33 years I've been watching BUFC and while that clown Swann keeps chucking silly money at average performers its going to be another 33 at least before they get anywhere. A new experience eh.......whats that then, playing in front of 300 at home in stead of 1,300?