Author Topic: Sunday Times Competition - Where Was I?  (Read 6959 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Sunday Times Competition - Where Was I?
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
Anyone from Boston like me who likes spending a few minutes solving the Sunday Times "Where Was I?" competition on a Sunday morning may find this week's competition a bit easier than usual.  8)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/where_was_i/article1271593.ece

You could win a long weekend for two at the Turnberry Resort, in Scotland if you can solve the two cryptic clues!

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday Times Competition - Where Was I?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:04:10 AM »
Nice spot. The Gilbertines give it away  ;)

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:58:40 AM »
Missed last week's competition, but I note that the answer to question 1 was William Madocks.

I presume the question setter has some connection with this area as Madocks was the MP for Boston. He was responsible for the building of the Festiniog Railway which terminated at Port Madock, named after Madocks. Recent Welsh inaccuracy has changed the name to Portmadog. I believe that he was also involved in the Welsh Highland Railway (answer to question 2). The Festiniog Railway works is called Boston Lodge.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
 Couldnt think of a more contrasting landscape than our flatlands and the dark slated hills of Festinniog.
   During our Welsh holiday last Sept we had to take refuge in the slate mine due to torenttial rain ..
     Found the tour dour and rather depressing..how anyone would wish to seal their marriage down there  defeats me..
     Still. .the partner liked it ..
        And we got an 'invisible' speeding ticket on the way home .. be warned ..