Author Topic: What games are you most looking forward to?  (Read 6580 times)

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
What games are you most looking forward to?
« on: May 21, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
Next season?

Halifax is mine, be good to go to the Shay and they'll be the only team with bigger attendances than us, they should bring a fair few, I reckon they'll be up around the top of the League too.

Can't say Colwyn Bay will be too appealing mind, bit of a trek for me.

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: What games are you most looking forward to?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »
Away at halifax is gonna be the biggest along with southport. Looking forward to it allready.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
All of them.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

fcum_91

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
Colwyn Bay is great on a summers day, but not when its midweek november very exposed ground very hard to play your football there too.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
Huddersfield Away,Hull City away........

Both opponents in the last 10 years.

Seriously, how can anyone get excited about any team or game at this level?

I enjoy following Utd, its a big part of me and my identity but to say I look forward to playing anyone at this level is not an option, crikey, I even sometimes have to ask Brother W if we are at home or away at the weekend, thats how low down the list of my priorities Utd are now.

And before anyone gets on the 'not a real fan' soapbox I renewed my season ticket last Saturday before they went on official sale. A home game now means a lot of favours being called in on the childcare front.

cambocakes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
Yep i know the feeling m8....scoring an away goal at the Galpharm,KC Stadium,Glanford Park in front of thousands instead of couple hundred at Northholme just aint the same.....BUT I CHEER JUST AS LOUD KNOWING WE ARE NOW FRAUD FREE!!!....point taken noughty tho

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »

I enjoy following Utd, its a big part of me and my identity but to say I look forward to playing anyone at this level is not an option, crikey, I even sometimes have to ask Brother W if we are at home or away at the weekend, thats how low down the list of my priorities Utd are now.

And before anyone gets on the 'not a real fan' soapbox I renewed my season ticket last Saturday before they went on official sale. A home game now means a lot of favours being called in on the childcare front.

I guess it comes down to how much you enjoy the game, I get a buzz before every Utd game, whether its Vauxhall Motors away or Afreton at home, we've had a great season with some fantastic games (3-2 vs Alfreton, 6-3 vs Harrogateor the Guiselyy semi) and Im sure as hell looking forward to some more next year.

Yeah we're not where we once were, but we shouldnt have really been in League 2 anyway, and BSN is not a terrible standard, its good that despite the lack of enthuaism youre still supporting DN and the club.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
It would be ones where a big crowd (pref home) is anticipated .
 And one where the National press may actually take notice ( for the right reasons ).
   Historically this has boiled down to FA Cup ties , and promotion deciders .

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:25:59 AM »
Does the level of football really alter the enjoyment, anticipation and experience of the game? I enjoyed seeing the games against Alfreton and Guiseley as much as any other United games I have seen over the years. This seasons team showed more energy and desire than any other Utd side I have ever seen. Also in the league days (and probably if we went in the Conf National now) we didn't have the townend which for me is a big part of the matchday "experience" due to the atmosphere and superior view. Having said that the thought of all the derbies in the Confrence National did sound more interesting than Colwyn Bay...

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:37 AM »
Huddersfield Away,Hull City away........

Both opponents in the last 10 years.

It's true that the likes of Huddersfield and Hull City were a better calibre of opposition than any side that we'll play against next season.

But if we can keep the nucleus of the current squad together, then we're in with a real shout of being in the promotion race again. And the top-of-the-table clashes with others around us will then be the games most worth looking forward to. I'd expect FC Halifax, Nuneaton, Altrincham, Southport, Droylsden and possibly Stalybridge to be challenging. Guiseley are also a good side and will be in the mix as well if they can hang on to their better players. Counting all of these sides and home and away fixtures, that's at least sixteen games to be eagerly anticipated.

The true test of faith since we lost our trips to Hull and Huddersfield was some of the dire displays in that first Unibond League season. Travelling all the way to Kendal for a 3-0 defeat on a mudpath of a pitch and then having to watch our so-called captain leave the field completely clean of mud was surely an all-time low point on the field of play. No effort, no passion, no commitment. We had players going through the motions just to pick up their pay cheques and a manager who was unable to get better from them.

On the pitch now, everything is considerably better. And so yes, there will be some games to look forward to next time around.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
Because it's the league we are in! Give me a win against Hyde (for example) over a loss to Huddersfield anyday... it shouldn't matter who we play, it's BUFC you go to watch!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
I look forward to seeing any bufc game I can get too. Now and again I watch leeds play, but the quality you see is certainly not value for money. The standard and passion I experience watching boston is far greater value for money.
Its not always the size of the clubs that creates the entertainment.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Rushall Olympic as it's a new ground for me!! Far more attractive proposition than The Shay, Haig Avenue, Moss Lane, etc.  ;D

BTW, I've had many cracking away days at Colwyn Bay, always enjoy going there

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:07:30 PM »
That Guiseley game is up there with any of the games I've seen in the last 10 years and the football watched last season was again far superior to some of the dross in League 2.  For every Vauxhall Motors there was a Bury or Rochdale.  Hate going to the likes of Vauxhall as much as I hated going to Bury, Rochdale, Oxford where we stood no chance of getting anything from the game and paid loads more for the game.

Whatever division you are in you get nothing games that are forgotten as fast as the money for petrol disappears out of your wallet. We're one promotion away from getting back where we'll feel at home. It's not ideal but it's a damn site better than where we thought we'd be 2 yrs ago.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 10:46:33 PM »
We've always had a good record at Bury (against them or FC United!)...