Author Topic: Pilgrims' defeat will not change Mariners' recruitment plans. Grimsby Telegraph  (Read 1221 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
GRIMSBY Town joint boss Paul Hurst denies the failure of former club Boston United to win promotion to the Blue Square Bet Premier changes any potential plans to raid York Street for players this summer.

It is widely rumoured Hurst and Rob Scott will look to recruit players they have worked with before from the Pilgrims after they helped steer the side to their play-off place before departing for Blundell Park.

And there have been suggestions any hunt for familiar faces may step up in the wake of Boston's play-off penalty heartache on Sunday.

Hurst refused to be drawn on potential targets, at Boston or elsewhere, but said last weekend's results wouldn't change anything regardless.

Hurst said: "People may look at what happened to Boston and think it's more likely to tempt people away after they failed to win promotion.

"I don't think it changes anything really.

"Boston have already stated they plan to stay part-time; be it in the Conference North or our league.

"I think that leaves any player there in the same situation; if they are keen on playing full-time, they will still look to see what's on offer elsewhere.

"Staying down won't have changed that at all."

Town's managers are yet to hone in on new blood after upping the number of professionals released at Blundell Park to 16 last week.

But Hurst says nobody should expect a huge influx, or indeed, any signings imminently.

He added: "Many have left but there won't be the same number replacing them.

"It won't be like-for-like; we want to work with a smaller squad next season.

"I believe a closer-knit group creates a better team spirit.

"I'm not saying it will be drastically smaller, just not as big as the one we inherited.

"I wouldn't expect anything to happen quickly.

"Only a few teams have stated who they are letting go and the Football League only finished last weekend.

"I think we'll get a clearer picture of who's available next week and then the PFA releases list comes out in June.

"That's when everyone will start getting more and more calls from agents and things start to happen."