Author Topic: Fundraising - Sky Dive  (Read 5222 times)

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Fundraising - Sky Dive
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:19:23 PM »
Yes, you read that correctly. A sky dive. Jumping out of a plane.

Why would anyone partake in such a crazy venture, I hear you ask? Well, I'm proudly doing it to raise money for the Cheltenham-based charity LINC (the Leukaemia & Intensive Chemotherapy Fund - see http://www.lincfund.org/).

(That, and unlike others on here, I'm too lazy to run a marathon & am happy to let gravity do all the work...  ;))

If you'd be prepared to sponsor us (I'm doing the jump with two friends), I'd be extremely grateful. Your money would actually go a long way - the company I work for has agreed to double all proceeds raised, while another society that I'm a member of will throw in 25%. You can also add Gift Aid if you're a tax-payer!

If you're prepared to donate towards such a worthwhile cause then you can do so in one of two ways:

1. You can donate directly to the charity via our JustGiving page - http://www.justgiving.com/SunLife-Actuarial-SkyDive
2. You can make a pledge by sending me a message on here.

The jump's on Sunday May 29th. Many thanks for your support.  :)

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraising - Sky Dive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
Many thanks to everyone who's donated so far. Much appreciated!  :)

As you may have read on another thread, I've been fortunate enough to win Spencer Weir Daley's away shirt from the season just gone. I'm auctioning this off to raise more sponsorship money so please get in touch if you're interested. The highest bid so far is £20. I'll close the bidding at 23:59 on Saturday May 28th.

As outlined above, every donation will result in the charity receiving 2.25 times that amount so please consider giving if you can.  :)

The weather is looking pretty good for Sunday... unless a certain cloud of ash starts floating in the direction of the airfield!

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
My plan is to keep this thread up-to-date with the highest bid received for the shirt.

It currently stands at £30.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
what size is the shirt?

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
what size is the shirt?

A very good question! I'll ask Craig.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »
Ive got a relative who works in the Linc shop in Cheltenham, small world eh

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
what size is the shirt?

It's just arrived... and it's XL. Bear in mind that what you & I might describe as XL is probably quite different from Errea's definition.

Ive got a relative who works in the Linc shop in Cheltenham, small world eh

Indeed!

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
The highest bid is now £35.

I'm going to move the deadline back 24 hours to 23:59 on Sunday evening. The reason for this is that I'm going to be staying overnight in a hotel on Saturday where there's no guarantee of internet access. To be fair to all bidders, I might need to update this thread pretty regularly as the deadline approaches, so that people know what the highest bid is at that time.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 07:18:19 PM »
The highest bid remains unchanged at £35. As a reminder, bidding closes at 23:59 tonight.

Unfortunately, the sky dive didn't go ahead as planned today. 27 of us there, but it wasn't safe for any of us to make the jump. Bloomin' weather! We'll be rescheduling for the middle of June - provisionally Thursday the 16th.

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
Thanks to Ken for promting me about this.

The skydive did happen back on June 16th and, as you can see, I survived! The shirt eventually went for £36.50 and you can see from the link below that we raised a total of £1,221.50. Thanks to our company matching this total and another society donating 25%, our grand total game to £2,748.38 - a fantastic effort and an awful lot more than we had expected. Many thanks to everyone for their support!

http://www.justgiving.com/sunlife-actuarial-skydive

For those interested, I've thrown together a sample of some of our photos at the following link. Feel free to have a gander!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunlifeactuarial/sets/72157626946795701/show/

(Ken - please feel free to 'unsticky' this.)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Awesome stuff.  8)

Well done.