Author Topic: Boston United defender Pearson could be Mariners target. Grimsby Telegraph  (Read 5948 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
grimsby_telegraph Image: grimsby_telegraph
Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 09:00

BOSTON United defender Shaun Pearson has admitted he could be leaving York Street this summer, with Grimsby Town hotly tipped to be his destination.

The 22-year-old centre-back was signed by Town bosses Rob Scott and Paul Hurst soon after their arrival at Boston in 2009 and picked up five player of the year trophies in his first campaign as the Pilgrims also picked up three cups.

This season he took his United record to 20 goals in 78 games as they went all the way to the play-offs before defeat on penalties to Guiseley consigned them to another year in Blue Square Bet North.

With Town's bosses releasing 16 professionals, it has sparked rumours a raid at their old club will ensue with Pearson expected to be in their sights.

The defender hasn't dismissed talk of a summer move either.

He said: "Whatever happens, I owe so much to so many people after my two years here.

"Rob (Scott) and Paul (Hurst) brought me here and although a lot of people probably have sour feelings for them now, people should not forget what they started here.

"It's not just about meeting people in football. I do not think you will meet a group of people in life who click so well.

"If it is my time to go, that's going to be one of the toughest things leaving this set of players."

"It's a time to relax after a long season. We will see what the summer brings.

"It is gutting that I could not sign off in a better way before the summer. I could not really have asked for much more.

"I did not have the best start when I first came here but luckily people stuck by me. The supporters, managers and players stood by me."

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
He'll be selling himself short if he goes there...........

Adam

• View Profile
He'll be selling himself short if he goes there...........

Agreed. Don't jump at the first offer Shaun, you'll get better ones...

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
there are better clubs that are interested.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Even if u did still like rob and paul i dont think u would go there if a good league 2 club came looking

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
 If he's totally out of contract he's gonna be a steal for someone .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
"Rob (Scott) and Paul (Hurst) brought me here'"
On Steve Walsh's recommendation!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
That's right Walshy recommended him!Moving to Grimsby would be a bad move! Pearson should be in the football league!

woad_pilgrim

Walshy had tied the signing up before the end of the season on the presumption he would get the job on a permanent basis as far as I can remember. Obviously S&H could of rescinded on that but it was Walsh that found him not S&H like they have claimed, again as far as I know/remember.

Edit: I'd guess all Shaun needs to do if he wants to go to Grimsby is resign with immediate effect, that way the legislation that covers us regarding U24 players commanding a fee if offered a new contract won't apply  ;)  :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:59:49 PM by woad_pilgrim »

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
If SP does go at least this summer will be a financial boost for DN and NK, Pearson will need a fee (decided by tribunal so anyones guess) compensation from Grimsby and also the gate reciepts from the play-off which he wont have budgeted for.

Seenbetter

Can SP drive. If not I will teach him to drive for nothing if it would help with negotiations to keep him here.
Brrrrmmmmm  Brrrmmmmmmm
Anyone else got anything to offer him as an incentive, apart from female relatives that is.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
apart from female relatives that is.

Ryan Semple has already been offered those :)
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
Shaun doesnt need to drive to Grimsby sb , he will be going in Churchys car ;) ;D

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
Pearson is far too good to play for likes of grimsby. If he does go ,I would like to see at a league two club.  :bunny

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Walshy had tied the signing up before the end of the season on the presumption he would get the job on a permanent basis as far as I can remember. Obviously S&H could of rescinded on that but it was Walsh that found him not S&H like they have claimed, again as far as I know/remember.

Edit: I'd guess all Shaun needs to do if he wants to go to Grimsby is resign with immediate effect, that way the legislation that covers us regarding U24 players commanding a fee if offered a new contract won't apply  ;)  :D

Spoke to Shaun a couple of weeks ago and he confirmed Welsh did try to sign him in our dark year in the Unidump but he was under contract to Stamford.