Author Topic: Today's Lincs Echo  (Read 1578 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Today's Lincs Echo
« on: May 10, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
SportsEcho Image: SportsEcho
Tuesday, May 10, 2011, 07:00

David Newton ready to begin interviewing for Boston United manager's job

DAVID NEWTON reflected on Boston United's "fantastic" season as he prepared to begin grilling the Pilgrims' managerial candidates.

Newton was left gutted by Sunday's heart-breaking play-off defeat to Guiseley on penalties, which leaves Boston facing another season in Blue Square Bet North.

But the United chairman and his board are now looking to the future and are set to begin interviewing the men on their, at present, shortlist of six.

That list includes caretaker joint-coaches Jason Lee and Lee Canoville, who will be interviewed together.

The other names on the list all meet the club's criteria of having Evo-Stik League Premier Division experience or higher.

"We are about to begin interviewing candidates and we want to name the new manager in place as soon as possible," said Newton.

"Obviously it depends on negotiations with the new manager, but we want to give ourselves as long as possible to prepare for next season.

"It's a very important summer. All the players are out of contract and, as happens every summer, there will be players leaving and new ones coming in.

"We need to give the new manager as much time as possible."

With United fans expecting another promotion push next season, Newton admits it is vital they hire the right man.

He believes the appointment is more crucial than when former joint-bosses Rob Scott and Paul Hurst were recruited two years ago.

"When we appointed Rob and Paul, we had almost been relegated from the UniBond League and expectations were not so high," added the Chestnut Homes chief.

"But now we've had two fantastic seasons and expectation from the fans will be to go for promotion again next season.

"That's what we want, but we've also got to be realistic too.

"We've been on the up for the last two years, both on and off the pitch, but we can't just expect to keep going forward like a train."

Lee and Canoville remain in the frame for the post and Newton has hailed the job the pair have done since taking over at short notice following Scott and Hurst's defection to Grimsby Town in March.

"They (Lee and Canoville) took over after just a couple of phone calls really," said Newton.

"We told them we didn't want to change anything because nothing was wrong with the team.

"They lack experience as managers, they know that, but they have done a very good job."

An emotional Newton paid tribute to everyone at the club following a dramatic season, which was not undermined by Scott and Hurst's controversial departure.

"It's been a fantastic season and Rob and Paul played their part in that," added Newton, who is pursing legal action against the pair and the Mariners.

"But Jason and Lee deserve as much credit for the way they kept the momentum going.

"The players have been fantastic. It's a very special squad. Of course some will leave this summer, but we thank them for what they have done for the club.

"I want to thank all the staff and the sponsors too. I am very sad we couldn't achieve promotion this season because I really thought we could do it.

"Guiseley were the team I wanted to avoid in the play-offs. Although the table does not reflect this, I believe they are the best team in the league on their day."