Author Topic: Retained list  (Read 8205 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Retained list
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »

The likes of Shaun Pearson, Adam Boyes and Anthony Church will probably move on, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't offer them terms for the new season. Provided that those terms are equivalent or better than last season, this will at least guarantee us a transfer fee when the players do move on. This applies to all of the players aged <24.

With the exception of four players, every member of the squad deserve to be offered something for the new season. The players I hesitate over are:-

(i) Cullingworth - did a job at Unibond Level, but not consistent enough in Blue Square North. Both Shane Clarke and Lee Canoville are proven better players in that position.

(ii) Frost - I know he was signed by Lee and Canoville, but he has looked out of his depth at times. Maybe he needs to be offered a trial for next season, in the same way that Adam Millson was last time around.

(iii) Newsham - has been disappointing this season. Maybe the Unibond League was about his level?

(iv) Davidson - played well yesterday and has done in some other games, but generally not good enough in the air (for his height), and doesn't have the best touch on the ground. Appears to have fallen out of favour under Jason Lee and Lee Canoville as well. I don't think he ever actually started a League game under the caretaker managers?

Everyone else deserves a new contract.

Seenbetter

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:04 PM »
Feel I must speak up for Yeatsy, not least because a friend of mine who lives on the Wirrall fell in love with him when we took her to the Vauxhall game. He's quick and gets some excellent crosses in and he's the only player who can take challenging free kicks and corners. An assett. Not sure about JL as manager, mustn't give him the job because he's a nice guy.
I don't think we would miss DD, SWD or Boyes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:20:43 PM by Seeingbetter »

BUFC T.I.D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
Personally, the list for me would be;
Bazza
drury
austin (well hope so)
pearson (again, hope so)
canoville
jelleyman
sleath
church (also hope but you don't know)
clarke
semple
lee
dudfield
weir daley
stones
 :) :) :)

not sure about yates, murphy and haystead but i think dd, frost, newsh, boyes and cully will be the ones to leave for me  :-\

goodyntu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »
Can't believe some of you don't rate SWD, I respect it's peoples opinion, but SWD is easily one of our best players, and could surely play at a higher level again.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 08:16:35 AM »
SWD had a poorer end to the season by his standards, football fans have short memories.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:58 AM »
Cannot believe there is so much debate about Yates!

Always looks a threat, good consistent delivery into the box, dead ball is also right up there and chips in with goals.  Even Farmer Dan would drop the boo-ing down a notch for him!

Oh and don't forget off the bench, not many players have that 'impact' ability.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
Certainly keep Jason Lee and Canners as joint managers, would also like to see Mikel Suarez
back here, I think he got a raw deal from our former managers. Look how much better Yates and Semple and some of the others have played under Jason and Canners, not being shouted at all of the game.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »
Should be no debate over Yates ,  Looking back over match reports since S&H went it does,n need a lot of working out we would have struggled to make the play-offs without his assists.        On SWD does anyone else apart from me think Spencer is one of those players who needs to move on to a new challange after a couple of years. ?

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
I'd like to keep Haystead if we can - could be a decent keeper for a few years.  Bazza's been brilliant, but not getting any younger.

Accepting Pearson and Church will leave, my must-haves would be:
Murphy, Jelleyman, Sleath, Yates, Semple, SWD (if he can get 'up' for more games, like he was on Sunday), Newsham (if he can get fit - injured at start of this season then never played in his most effective position from last year (left side), so deserves a chance if he can prove his fitness), Clarke (for his versatility - didn't rate him under S&H but under the caretakers he has done a good job at RB and in midfield), Dudfield (if he wants to stay - might depend who new manager is)  

Canners might go if he doesn't get the job, unless he gets a coaching role?
Austin would be nice to have, but another oldie and also now injured.
Boyes if he's not too expensive - but not to be used as a target man; he's similar in style to SWD and Newsham, not a battering ram.  Not sure we need SWD, Newsham and Boyes?
Stones if he can get himself fit - looks as though he could be the aerial threat we are missing since Mikel left.
DD - could be the end of his time here.  If only he could always be as effective as he was on Sunday!
Cully - useful to have as a spare full back as can play either side, but he might have to make room for new players - we can't afford to have cover in all positions and have other priorities

We will need - a big centre back, two decent central midfielders, possibly a right back, a target man up front (to get on the end of crosses from Yates & Semple)

Another problem could be those players who live in same area and travel in together - if some of those players leave, will the others want to continue travelling on their own without being able to share costs, driving etc?

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »
 We will take it for granted it will be a hellish  job replacing Pearson AND  his goals if he departs ..
   Have Lee and Canonville got any coaching badges ?
            Does it matter ?

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »
Well since retained suggests who we'd like to keep,or more importantly,who the club would like to keep,you would have to include Shaun Pearson and Churchy even though we know they are almost certain to leave.
FWIW this would be my list;

Shaun Pearson
Anthony Church
Danny Haystead
Paul Bastock
Lee Canoville
Shane Clarke
Gareth Jellyman
Kieran Murphy
Ryan Semple
Danny Sleath
Spencer Weir-Daley
Jamie Yates
Lawrie Dudfield
Marc Newsham
Two keepers might be a bit extravagant,But Bazza could also help with coaching and developing some of the younger keepers at the club.Haystead did enough to deserve another opportunity before he got injured.
No Kevin Austin for me-did brilliantly for us,but no 38 year old centre backs for me.Boyes i'm unsure about-he has ability,but i think he's not best suited for this level.Cully and DD have played their part over the last two sesons,but have probably gone as far as they can.No Stef Frost either.Newsh would also have to prove his fitness.
So that's my choice-but i think there will be quite a few of those we won't see again.

legend

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
I thought Simon Ashton only on loan to Stamford till end of season?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Ashton has saif himself he is being invited back for next season - maybe even just for the Reserves?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/