Author Topic: What a game  (Read 14910 times)

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: What a game
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
Agree with everything on this post.  Proud but gutted sums it up.

One of the best games I've seen at York Street.  Magnificent performance to come back again and again when we seemed to be beaten.  Great effort from both teams with so many players out on their feet even before extra time.

I think we all knew we'd lose if it went to pens!  

Well played lads and thanks for another memorable season, despite the disappointment in the end.

Congratulations to Guiseley.  Respect to their manager and bench - at the end of ET Steve Kittrick admitted that it was a fair result and he and his sidekick (who behaved like an idiot earlier) shook hands with us.  Kittrick made a point of shaking hands with one of our fans who he had a 'disagreement' with earlier - nice gesture.  Bear in mind this was all before the penalties.  They didn't have to do that and I respect them for it.    

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
back home now, after a drive which had a sense of disapointment, pride and success for the match that i had just witnessed. what an atmosphere, what a game, and what a season. shame it wasn't our day. good luck to everyone at the club and especially for those that will move on in the summer. you have all done us proud.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
Agreed Patrick so many highlights:
Winning NINE NIL
The result and performance against Alfreton
TEN clean sheets in a row
BAZZA returning
CHURCH'S free kick against Vauxhall

Many, many more as well as those listed above well done BUFC
I can add a few more:

The backs to the wall win away at Alfreton
The demolition of Harrogate away
The 3 goals in the last 10 minutes away at Workington to win 5-3 - made the mommoth journey so worth it
The shirts off away at Stalybridge despite it being fooking freezing and us losing

That's off the top of my head

ChesterfieldPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
Fantastic game, really gutted not to go through, but the lasting impression of today will be one of pride in the team who kept on battling to keep us in it until the last.

It was fantastic after each goal we concenced that all those around me were clapping and encouraging and I didn't hear a word of incrimination (against the team, can't say the same for the ref!). That was brilliant and shows in actions, sentiments expressed by the words of everyone else already on this forum, to say we've enjoyed this season, been so proud of what we've achieved and look forward to the next season.

Good luck to Guiseley in the final.

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 09:59:10 PM »
 what a great game today with the only downside being the loss on penalties.
       thought we were superb with a great never say die attitude and really didnt deserve to lose the tie.
      looking ahead i would think its inevitable that we will lose at least half this team but if we can get good replacements there is no need to think we cannot go one better next season.
       although the whole team was great today i thought sleaths contribution was absolutely fantastic and after that great effort i was really gutted when their last penalty was totally scuffed past bazza and you could see their players relief and embarrasment when the ball hit the net.
      that said well done guiseley and thanks to all the players and fans who made it a memorable match and occasion to remember.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »
It was one of the best games ive seen in ages, and despite the result, im not particularly down, I'm just immensely proud of everbody at BUFC, the players, fans and most importantly David and Neil.

All 2,500 fans were united behind the team and it really showed, the players fighting back twice from losing positions, as someone else mentioned they are my favourite bunch of players for ages thanks to their passion and commitment, especially Church and Pearson.

On reflection only Sleath's penalty was the only poor one, Jelleyman's was a magnificent save and Boyes was off the inside of the post, so unlucky.

Ref was shite, turned down two clear cut penalties for us. I could write an essay on the game it was that eventful, I was just pleased I made the 6hr round trip from London.

Guiseley, despite being a bit petulant are a really good footballing side, and from what I've seen of Telford I would fancy them to go up. A bit dissapointing that they could only muster 100 fans, makes you wonder if they really want BSP football in Guiseley.

Anyway I was set next to a fan who told me it was his first Boston match in 20 years, and Ithink thats testament to the work DN and NK have done in restoring Boston's reputation.

Proud to be a BUFC fan

legend

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
i have been proud of the lads for the last couple of seasons but never more so than i was today the fight and the spirit was unbelievable. well done to everyone on and off the pitch your a credit to boston. boston till i die thats for sure.  ;D

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 12:16:07 AM »
Thanks to David and Neil
Thanks to all the others at York Street
Thanks to Jason and Lee
Thanks to the rest of the lads for all their efforts, if we don't meet again all the best for the future
Thanks to Guseley for coming and making a game of it
Thanks to the fan for a tremendous atmosphere

Proud to be a Bostonian

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »
A few pics.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 07:15:30 AM »
Well i didn't feel like doing much last night so ...

I can only say how proud i am of those lads, they never give up nor know when they are beaten, its such a shame a lot wll probarly move onto to other clubs, but all i could say is thankyou for all the effort they have put it over the these 2 years, which have given us a club to be proud of again.

If Guisiely wasn't such a similar team to in the sense of 'never give up' we'd have won and been looking forward to going to Telford next Sunday, but as it turned out to be we were so evenly matched it took penalties to seperate us, and unfortunetly Lady Luck wasn't shining on us.

But there has been so many memroable moments this season and over these 2 years with this sqaud their has been alot more ups then downs and that is down to their never say never attitude so...

This just leaves me to say a big THANKYOU to ...

The sqaud - For never giving up and giving us so many moments of joy and pride

DN/NK - For continually keeping this club afloat

Scott & Hurst - As much i don't like the was they left, no-one can deny they put the wheels in motion, and for that i'll always respect what they did for this club

And finally... Canners and Jason Lee - It took real bottle to take this job on when S/H left, at that point it could have gone pear shaped for us and we could have even fallen out of the Play-Off spots without a fight, but they steadied the ship and didn't mess around too much with the system or anything which was obviously met with some good peformances from the team, I'm also going to add that Canners went from player and no-doubt good friends with alot from this team to joint gaffer making decisions on who will start and who won't etc, i myself wouldn't want to have done that but he had the courage to do it.

So after writing an eassay and half, i won't lie their is sill that 'what could have been feeling' inside of me but the main feeling is pride, and i hope every other BUFC fan feels that today, them lads gave us EVERYTHING they had, it wasn't too long ago we were fighting for our lives in the UniBond and 2 years later within a penatly shoot-out and 90mins of BSP, they deserve everything that comes their way.

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 08:19:07 AM »

Heard after the game the ref was being assessed to see if he was suitable for the Football League - on that showing, NO. He let too many things go (for both sides) and missed penalties (for both sides).

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 08:44:20 AM »
And a few more pics.

YeadonLion

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
None of the away fans??

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »
None of the away fans??

Unfortunately not. There was a chap sitting next to me that kept leaning forward and blocking my view of the away section!

I dare say the proper photographers will have got a few superb shots though. Lookout for posts on here by Shippy92 in the next couple of days.

YeadonLion

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
Cheers mate will do.

Hope they missed where i had my top off. :bunny