Author Topic: Leeds "Run for All" - Sunday 21st June  (Read 14380 times)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Leeds "Run for All" - Sunday 21st June
« on: May 31, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »
Time to run away and hide - I'm after your money again.

And this time I can annoy you even more by making it a sticky topic!  ;D

But it's a very good cause and all donations will be very, very gratefully received.

In December 2007 Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite authors, was diagnosed with a rare early-onset form of Alzheimer's. So last year I entered Jane Tomlinson's Run for All to try and raise some money for helping towards funding some research to help people like Terry from losing their thinking skills.

Well as I'm sure you all remember, I did the run - I finished in 932nd place (out of 11,000) - not too bad for someone who was just about to hit 50. My friends and family were very generous and donated £850 to the cause. So this year I'm hoping to do it all again. The 10km run takes place in Leeds on Sunday 21st June and I've started training again and I plan to run it my Boston United replica kit again.

So I'll be pestering you all to make donations over the next three weeks. You can sponsor me by visiting my fundraising page at:

http://www.justgiving.com/kafox

You may have seen the two-part documentary about Terry on the BBC earlier this year. It looks like they are really close to coming up with effective treatments so a bit more money could do an awful lot of good. He is still writing and his next Discworld book is due out in October and it's about football at the Unseen University so it should be fun. It's called Unseen Academicals.

So it's not long now until I help bugger up the traffic in Leeds for a few hours. I've been sent my chip and allocated number 1483, so you might even be able to track me on the way round.

Despite putting in about 900 km of training runs since last year I don't seem to be getting any quicker. I must be getting old. Well I am getting old. Anyway it would be nice to run it a few minutes faster than last year so that I finish in less minutes than I am years old.  8)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:28:46 PM by Ken Fox »

Mr Tickle

• View Profile
Re: Leeds "Run for All" - Sunday 21st June
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »
Go get em Ken - I'll stick another tenner in the fund oif you get in the first 1000 again!

Good luck

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 11:38:02 AM »
Go get em Ken - I'll stick another tenner in the fund oif you get in the first 1000 again!

Many thanks for the sponsorship - it is very, very greatly appreciated.

The competition is a bit stiffer this year - there's 100 West Yorkshire Police officers taking part and they should be fairly fit as well as lots of rugby players in a challenge to find out whether league or union is the fitter code!

There's also some pop combo called Little Man Tate and actor Dean Andrews, who plays DS Ray Carling in the hit BBC series 'Ashes to Ashes'.

http://www.runforall.co.uk/leeds/

I seem to be getting a bit quicker in recent training runs, so I might just make it if my ancient knees / ankles / hamstrings etc hold together and the swine flu doesn't get me.  :)

bb1

Re run
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »
Am going to sponser you for the run when i get advice on how.just finding my way round a computerat the moment.Best of luck with it.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 12:06:54 PM »
soccerdubai.com will be supporting you Ken as ever. Remind me if I haven't done it by the end of this week!  ::)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Re run
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:56:41 PM »
Am going to sponser you for the run when i get advice on how.just finding my way round a computerat the moment.Best of luck with it.

It's a bit more complicated than it probaby needs to be, but it's fairly straightforward. You just have to go to:

then click on the SPONSOR ME NOW button. It then asks for you for how much you want to donate and what message you want to leave, then it asks for your credit/debit card details, e-mail address, home address, and whether you are a UK tax payer so Gift Aid can be claimed back. It gets a bit more complicated if you are a UK tax payer as you have to confirm your address is real and that you are donating your own money and you're not donating as part of a raffle, but the questions do eventually stop and it is all secure so it should be safe!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 01:08:22 PM »
soccerdubai.com will be supporting you Ken as ever. Remind me if I haven't done it by the end of this week!  ::)

Many thanks. It's greatly appreciated.

Hopefully the temperature will be closer to the English summer norm this year, i.e. nice and cool - preferably raining! I just love running in the rain.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 04:01:51 PM »
Only a week to go so get that sponsorship money in before you forget.  ;D

I did a practice 10km run this morning, but it was too hot and I was rather slow.  :(

I hope it cools down a bit next weekend.

Are any other Boston fans amongst the 11,000?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:03:39 PM by Ken Fox »

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:21:15 AM »
Done !

Good luck ...

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:27:26 PM »
Done !

Good luck ...

Many thanks.

I've just noticed that some crazy people from the Dubai office of the company I work for took part in the Wadi Bih relay race in Dubai back in February. A 75km "dash" along the wadi bed, running as high as 1000m. It was a team relay with sections run by each of the five team members in turn. They claim that the weather was pleasantly cool despite a strong shamal. I suspect that it was still hotter than it will be in Leeds on Sunday!

Mr Tickle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »
Good luck for this weekend's run Ken.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
I only donated a fiver because i dont get paid till next Friday.

Anyway good luck!

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I only donated a fiver because i dont get paid till next Friday.

Anyway good luck!

Many thanks.

All donations are greatly appreciated, especially in hard times like we are currently experiencing.

You are all very wonderful people.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »
The Wadi B Run is not for the faint hearted - even in February the temp would have been 25 - 30'C up there in the mountains. Very tricky under foot as it is rocky with loose stones and sheer falls down the mountainside if you lose your footing.
Apparently its great fun  ???

Oh and if that isn't enough some feral dwellers in the mountains have been known to take the odd pot shot at passers-by for fun !  :P

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 11:01:35 AM »
Well I did it. It was hot again but I think I knocked about three minutes off last year's time to finish in just under 50 mins.

Last year I was beaten by a banana, this year it was a running nun!

Many, many thanks to everyone who has sponsored me, and it's not too late to donate. Just go to:

http://www.justgiving.com/kafox/

and click on the Donate Now button.

Hopefully I'll have some photos to put on later.