Author Topic: Austin McCann talks about his time at Boston  (Read 1836 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Austin McCann talks about his time at Boston
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

Taken from this website...

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/ExHearts-man-McCann-proves-promotion.6762312.jp?articlepage=1

AUSTIN McCANN went from Bordeaux to Boston United inside six months to revive a career he felt was stagnating. That odyssey through lower-league football has finally paid off. After performing in some of Britain's most humble venues since leaving Hearts in 2004, he is back at the top level with Dunfermline.

It has taken McCann seven years to earn reward for stepping down to England's League Two aged just 24. Now 31 and captain of the Fife Club, he is determined to savour every moment after Dunfermline secured SPL promotion with Saturday's victory over Morton at Cappielow.

McCann recalls arriving in Boston, in sleepy Lincolnshire, in summer 2004. York Street, capacity 6643, offered a stark contrast to Bordeaux's Stade Chaban-Delmas, where he had played just six months previously in a memorable 1-0 UEFA Cup win for Hearts. Then came visits to Kidderminster, Rochdale and Wycombe. .

At the time, top-flight football wasn't even on the radar, despite such highlights as his wonder goal against Celtic in April, 2003. McCann has worked diligently in spells at Boston, Notts County and Dunfermline to facilitate his return to a premier league platform. Now he can look back with a sense of satisfaction.

"I've played in some small grounds in front of even smaller crowds. I had to do that because I wasn't a regular at Hearts," he explained to the Evening News.

"Sometimes you have to step down that level or two just to get a regular game and get your career going. That's all I've done. I came across a lot of small clubs. Boston themselves are a small club but it was still a decent level. I enjoyed my time down there. Going from Hearts to Boston was a big difference but I had to do it to make sure I was playing. A lot of players need to do it and it's worked out for me because I've got back to the SPL. It's been a long time coming so I'm determined to enjoy it. When I joined Dunfermline it was my main aim and I'm just delighted it worked out.

"I played in some big European games with Hearts. The result in Bordeaux was huge, playing in the UEFA Cup was generally just a great experience. The derbies with Hibs I'll always remember. It's that kind of excitement I wanted again.

"Our boys have been talking about that already. Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United - these clubs will all bring good away supports to Dunfermline. We have a lot of big games and the boys are really looking forward to it. I'm 31 now and it's a long time since I last played in the SPL. It's something I'm really eager for.

I have another year on my contract here so it's a chance for me to get back to that level."

He has spent three years in Scotland's First Division alone, Dunfermline's elevation back to the SPL being a gradual process rather than a rapid rise. Adding to growing pressure was this season's sustained challenge from Raith Rovers. Defeating their Fife neighbours in front of a crammed East End Park ten days ago provided Dunfermline with a platform to secure promotion.

"When I signed for Dunfermline the ambition was there to get back into the SPL. To get it all secured is pleasing and I'm looking forward to next season already," said McCann.

"The pressure on us before the Raith game was huge, probably the most I've ever felt. It was a massive pressure-pot game and it just controls your whole life because either way, win or lose, it would have a massive impact on the league. That showed because we won 2-1 and went on to win our next game and clinch the league.

"We have a lot of players out of contract so hopefully that will get sorted out soon to let us plan for next season. We have a good amount of players who have experienced the SPL before. Then there are others like Joe Cardle and Calum Woods who are just starting out in their careers, so playing in the top flight will be good for them. It will make them better players.

"I think the club will sign some players as well. Being in the SPL means more money so I expect a couple of signings. We will need everybody.

"I was at a sponsors' function speaking to fans about the potential of the club recently. We said you only had to look at the Raith game, where there was 12,000 people. We want to bring more fans in next year and hopefully being in the SPL makes a difference."

McCann, more than most, knows the importance of fans filling grounds and the difference it can make to a player's career.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
Re: Austin McCann talks about his time at Boston
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
See Kirkys still there aswell
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR