Author Topic: Nuneaton or Guiseley?  (Read 6812 times)

rob.1987

• View Profile
Nuneaton or Guiseley?
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:10 PM »
Realistically, we'll finish 3rd so it's Nuneaton or Guiseley in the play-offs. Who would we prefer?

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nuneaton or Guiseley?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
Nuneaton beat us at home this year, and we'll see on Monday if they are as good as they were then, and the two Guisely games have been stalemates. Hopefully we'll have enough to beat either of them.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:56:27 PM »
Games against either could go either way, will depend on who wants it more and who gets the rub of the green.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
Nunny's form has been poor since christmas.  I'd take them ahead of Guiseley as Guiseley look like they have more chance of turning us over.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »
Dont care.................... Just pleased to be there

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Nuneaton: it's on a direct line from Birmingham New Street (the eighth wonder of the world).

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
Guiseley for me - just because I can get there on the bus!

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »

I've no real preference between Nuneaton or Guiseley, and it'll be simply a case of dealing with whichever side is put in front of us. But in a weird kind of way, I wonder if finishing fourth would actually be preferential to finishing third?

REASON: The team that finishes fourth will be away from home in the first leg of the play-offs. That translates into the away match being in midweek - potentially causing players to do a day's work and then have to travel up to the match. Neither Nuneaton nor Guiseley are short runs for midweek. Tiredness can set in. And we haven't always done ourselves justice in those circumstances - take this season's Stalybridge away fixture as an example.

Finishing fourth (or even fifth) would allow a team to play the home leg in midweek, with travelling then taking place over a weekend - when the players are more rested. That surely has some advantages?

I know this would potentially mean conceding home advantage for any play-off final, but you have to get there first. And one game at a time, I'm not sure finishing in the highest possible position is the advantage it is made out to be.

rob.1987

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Whilst we consider our play-off preferences, congratulations must go to Alfreton for clinching the league title with their result today.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
Nuneaton simply because it's closer to Boston.

flynny69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
Nuneaton because it's much closer to Market Harborough!!

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:40 AM »
Realistically, we'll finish 3rd so it's Nuneaton or Guiseley in the play-offs. Who would we prefer?

even if we finshed 2nd it will be one of those two (realistically). away to guiseley on the tuesday night would be better for me but feel that either team are difficult to beat. i think nunny have a better chance over 2 legs to beat telford. so nunny in the final at york street would be mint. they would bring around 700ish and we would turn up with around 3000. good times ahead (please).

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
From a non football point of view Guiesly because I will be at Nuneaton tommorow but havent been to Guiesly yet.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
Few weeks ago i'd have taken any of these on without thinking about it

Guiseley had a real bad patch and looked there for the taking if they stumbled into the Play-Offs but they seem to have been on a roll these last few weeks

Nuneaton, funny one really we play them tomorrow so i don't think its going to be the best of games due to the fact neither will want to give too much away in case we meet again in a couple weeks time.

If we are to make the final i honestly don't think it'll make much of a difference, as others have said on another topic we have a better vocal support away from home which would spur the lads on.

But on the other hand i'd love to see us get promoted at home as the 2 i can only really remember are 2002 and last season !

But we'll have to wait and see, either way its been a great season

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
From a non football point of view Guiesly because I will be at Nuneaton tommorow but havent been to Guiesly yet.

You haven't missed much.

In all seriousness, is anyone else surprised that Eastwood's ground has fallen short of the standards needed for play-off contention, but Guiseley's has somehow qualified? Having visited both grounds, I would have said the facilities at Eastwood were considerably superior to Guiseley.