Author Topic: v Hyde  (Read 12662 times)

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Hyde
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 02:03:55 PM »
Hyde played well and deserved their point.  At times you just couldn't tell they had a man less.

Our pen - Yatesy has been known to take a dive but the lack of protests from their players/bench suggests it was as clear cut as it looked.  Their pen - shame for Austin who was a MOM contender until then; with hindsight Bazza should have knocked it into the stand rather than trying to control it.  I'm not convinced it was a pen, but having given it, it surely should have been a red card - a big, big let off for us, because that could have meant Bazza missing play off games.

Felt sorry for Cully as he got very little support against their No 10 who was clearly their best player.  Frost did nothing defensively first half and Yates is not a natural defender.  Canners was inside Cully but is still clearly not fully fit and playing central defence highlighted this.  Cully couldn't commit himself to an early challenge because there was no cover behind him.  In the first few minutes there was a long ball over the top and Canners looked as if he was running through treacle.

At 2-1, we committed too many men forward from midfield and fullback, too often - why were our full backs going on long runs forward with the ball on such a hot day?  Surely against 10 men you need to make the ball do the work?  There should always be a spare man to pass to.  We seemed to tire ourselves out and play into their hands.

With Semple and Dudfield being ill, presumably we had to make late changes to the team, which never helps the players as they have prepared for the game in a certain way, so it's harsh to judge too much on this performance.    For me, Newsham and SWD together up front never seems to work - it has to be one of them plus a target man.
Frost looked completely off the pace, but he wouldn't have been expecting to play, and it was his debut in front of an expectant and unforgiving crowd!

Our main weakness this season - other than 3 or 4 games, we have not been able to put any team away.  It might cost us over a 2 legged play off if we can't score goals when we are on top.  We might win 1-0 on aggregate, but it would be agonising to watch!

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
Hyde played well and deserved their point.  At times you just couldn't tell they had a man less.

Our pen - Yatesy has been known to take a dive but the lack of protests from their players/bench suggests it was as clear cut as it looked.  Their pen - shame for Austin who was a MOM contender until then; with hindsight Bazza should have knocked it into the stand rather than trying to control it.  I'm not convinced it was a pen, but having given it, it surely should have been a red card - a big, big let off for us, because that could have meant Bazza missing play off games.

Felt sorry for Cully as he got very little support against their No 10 who was clearly their best player.  Frost did nothing defensively first half and Yates is not a natural defender.  Canners was inside Cully but is still clearly not fully fit and playing central defence highlighted this.  Cully couldn't commit himself to an early challenge because there was no cover behind him.  In the first few minutes there was a long ball over the top and Canners looked as if he was running through treacle.

At 2-1, we committed too many men forward from midfield and fullback, too often - why were our full backs going on long runs forward with the ball on such a hot day?  Surely against 10 men you need to make the ball do the work?  There should always be a spare man to pass to.  We seemed to tire ourselves out and play into their hands.

With Semple and Dudfield being ill, presumably we had to make late changes to the team, which never helps the players as they have prepared for the game in a certain way, so it's harsh to judge too much on this performance.    For me, Newsham and SWD together up front never seems to work - it has to be one of them plus a target man.
Frost looked completely off the pace, but he wouldn't have been expecting to play, and it was his debut in front of an expectant and unforgiving crowd!

Our main weakness this season - other than 3 or 4 games, we have not been able to put any team away.  It might cost us over a 2 legged play off if we can't score goals when we are on top.  We might win 1-0 on aggregate, but it would be agonising to watch!
Excellent summing up of the game!

against the odds

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »
In reply to Wismo & Lonegunman the "some bloke" in front of the 2 dickheads was me.  Too right I'd had enough of them.  I appreciate that everyone pays their money and everyone has a right to voice an opinion but this was just too much.  The first target was Sleath but soon afterwards the moaners found a new target - Jamie Yates.  This opinion voicing was just constant barracking of Jamie Yates - even when he was nowhere near the ball in play.  Admittedly I've seen him have better games but lets remember who put the cross over for the first goal and who won the penalty (no comment from me as to whether it was a pen or not - but we'll have it anyway!).

Everyone gets frustrated when things don't always go as planned but I don't think shouting abuse at a particular player for 90 minutes really does much to improve his performance does it?  One of these moaners seems to have something to say at most home games  - none of it very constructive - but fortunately I can't recall seeing his mate before.  Perhaps neither of them will bother attending again although I won't hold my breath!  Maybe the club could have a special moaning enclosure so all the barrackers could stand together and let the proper supporters take the p*ss out of them all match.

The comments about some of the teams best performances being away from home rings very true.  If this barracking is indicative of some of the home support then I'm sure the players prefer being away.  No offence to the vast majority of the home supporters, many of whom can't travel away for whatever reason - cost, work commitments etc, but the away following does usually tend to be made up of people who are committed to supporting not barracking - apart from the incident at Droylsden which although being at the game I did not witness.

As I said earlier everyone is entitled their opinion and most games I leave the ground having a whinge about something which has happened during the course of the match - usually the officials - but I don't think after the game this intrudes on others enjoyment of the match in progress.

This is what happened on Saturday and what made me so annoyed.  As Wismo said why do people like this bother wasting their money if everything is so wrong with the team ALL the time.

Anyway we didn't lose did we?

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »
yeah agreed. after the reasonble first half i was thinking it would be an good win even if it stayed the same scoreline as the opposition had 10 men but as we have found out in the last two home games it isn't! also with three changes to the team from last week all of which happened through injury and illness doesn't help!! i think JY had a pretty good game and without his set pieces in recent weeks we would be a lot worse off! at the end of the day a point is a point and we need to put this behind us and move on to the blyth mate!! UTP

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
Moaning enclosure a good idea a t o . You forgot to mention it must be soundproof .

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 02:14:26 PM »
and one way looking glass

against the odds

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »
I've had another thought on the moaners.  Make them go to watch Grimsby, Lincoln Shitty or Gainsborough every week.  That'll really give them something to moan about!