Author Topic: Little Fish in a Big Moaning Pond  (Read 7576 times)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Little Fish in a Big Moaning Pond
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:37:45 AM »
Went to watch the Cod's last night, as me lad brought some free tickets home yesterday.  They are woeful and Sooty n Sweep have got their work cut out knocking them into shape.

They didn't win a second ball all night and Ru$hden ran rings around their midfield at will.  I fully expect Pearson to be a target as you worried for them everytime it went into the box and they need a midfield enforcer which points towards Church as he would have stopped loads of the Rushden attacks.  Didn't get chance to watch their forwards as they spent all night chasing lost causes and hopeful punts but I've always thought SWD would struggle a level up as the main striker.

It really was the worst game of football I've seen in a long time and I hope that the Grimsby public don't think we play the game like that.  It's a lower level but even a 6 yr old could see that what we have is more fun, entertaining and better to watch.

Barely a wimper all night from the Pontoon too, never been to a game there so abject and frankly dull.  They booed their own players when they came on (Duffy) and gave Peter Bore shit everytime he got the ball.  The grass it seems is not greener as yet and it all reminded me of TT's 'do just enough to get paid but nothing more' squad from the Unidump days.

What's their win rate at Grimsby so far?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:52:50 AM by Lord Cutler Beckett »
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Little Fish in a Big Moaning Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:26:13 PM »
summit like L3 D2, Not 100% thou

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
Listened to commentary on BBC Humberside . Their comments endorsed all LCB has said.  Only heard two cheers all match , one when Cods scored a goal and the other in the first minute of added on time when according to the commentator the ball was booted out of play and hit Scotty on the head.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
I've been quite a few times and I've never heard it (or not as the case was) so quiet.  Even at our worst we got behind the team during the game. Not even once did they have a "Maaaaaaarrrrrrrinnnnneeerrrrssss" or "We are Town" chant.  They were simply terrible from start to finish and if that's mid-table Premier then we would hold our own with the passion we have in our squad alone.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
Theres a lot of negative talk on the Grimsby and Rotherham forums about the Scott brothers,and the long ball game they seem to be associated with. Its not all doom and gloom but the fans seem to think they are going to see a lot of hoofball next season. ;D

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:07:51 PM »
I think they will do better with there own players next year (X Boston players i meen).

LPRA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
Why do people assume that just because Scott and Hurst have gone to GY that some of our players will follow suit?

What if we get promoted ourselves? What if they like playing with their mates at Boston? What if Canners and Pineapple get the job full-time?

People seem to be waving the white flag on the likes of Pearson a bit to easily for my liking.

Old yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:26:12 AM »
Pearson would be more advised to stay with Boston if he only wishes to play at conference level,however i suspect talent scouts from league 2 sides are keeping a close eye on this lad. Personally i dont begrudge him moving on to advance his career but he is still learning his trade.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
It would be nice to think that a mid-table Championship side might take a gamble on Pearson - undoubtedly a big step up but if he went somewhere like Derby, Coventry or Watford it might work out for him. 

Given the opportunity, it's not impossible for players to make that step up - after all, Chris Smalling was playing non-League football a couple of years ago.

Going to a L2 club could be a stepping stone to greater things, but could also be a dead end - look at someone like Lee Beevers who showed great potential here but didn't really turn out to be the player he could have been.

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
Rob Scott would have been seething after today's match at home to Bath City.

Another match when a 2-0 lead was squandered.   Bath City were still losing 2-0 until they pulled a goal back after 80mins, then equalised after 90mins.

However shortly afterwards, Grimsby were awarded a penalty and Connell who had scored Grimsby's goals in the first half, sent a weak shot into the hand of the Bath City's goalkeeper.

There are rumours circulating on Twitter that Connell missed the penalty on purpose to p!ss Rob Scott off, after he had slagged the players off in Grimsby Telegraph.

Oh to be fly on the wall of the Grimsby changing room!!!

So the win ratio since going to Grimsby is 0%.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »

So the win ratio since going to Grimsby is 0%.

Not a good start then, but its early days  :-\

Pride of Bostonshire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
There are rumours circulating on Twitter that Connell missed the penalty on purpose to p!ss Rob Scott off, after he had slagged the players off in Grimsby Telegraph.

Oh, how I'd love that to be true!

Monty

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 03:06:08 PM »
Tis funny, if they was still in charge here there would not be a bad word said about them! Its football get over it.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
Tis funny, if they was still in charge here there would not be a bad word said about them! Its football get over it.

Yes but they are not here that is the whole point of the thread. ;)
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »

But you're a Lincoln fan nowadays, so it doesn't really matter what you think.........