Author Topic: Boston United caretaker coach Jason Lee reveals his quiet approach to management  (Read 2068 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
THE Boston United dugout has been a more genteel place in recent weeks.

Pilgrims supporters had grown used to the antics of former joint-manager Rob Scott, who could regularly be seen raging at players, officials, opposing managers and fans, both home and away, from the touchline.

His behaviour often provided alternative entertainment to a dreary game. But now Scott has taken his one-man show to Grimsby Town, where he has linked up once again with Paul Hurst, albeit with limited success.

At Boston, he has been replaced in the dug-out by joint-coach Jason Lee.

Lee is a no less intimidating character than the fiery Scott, but instead prefers to offer quiet encouragement while retaining full faith in his players.

So when the veteran striker was forced to watch last Saturday's 1-0 victory at Telford from stands – while he served a suspension picked up playing for Arnold Town last month – it did not prove to be a problem.

"The game was easy for me because I only had to ring Steve Welsh (Boston's head of youth), who stood in for me on the sidelines and was brilliant," explained Lee, whose promotion-chasing side host lowly Hyde in Blue Square Bet North tomorrow.

"I think sometimes people get carried away on the sidelines by screaming and shouting.

"You can have a bit of an effect, tinker with the odd thing and make substitutions. But you can't be screaming and shouting all the time. The players should know what they're doing and if they don't know it's too late. You can't get caught up with every kick and try to head every ball.

"I have great faith in the boys. They did what we asked them to do and made my job easy. I wouldn't say I was relaxed, but I was able to enjoy the performance among their (Telford's) frustrated supporters.

"It gave me a good chance to be analytical, to see what we're good at and what our strengths are. I could also pick up a few things on them because we could play them again in the play-offs."

It is a refreshing approach, but Lee insists he is not averse to giving an under-performing player a piece of his mind if necessary.

However, from his own experience as a player, he believes a regular stream of rollickings can be counter-productive.

"Everyone is different and if I do need to scream and shout I will," added the former Lincoln City striker.

"But as a coach or manager, the players are looking to you for guidance.

"If you need to have a go at someone, by all means do so, but I know when I played it goes in one ear and out the other sometimes. You tend to shut off.

"You should be concentrating on your own game rather than being talked through it from the sidelines.

"I am there for players and everything I do is going to be for their benefit.

"I'll offer my experience, but ultimately it's down to them."

Victory over relegation-threatened Hyde could see Boston overtake second-placed Telford, but only if the Bucks lose at Hinckley.

PILGRIMS (from): Bastock, Cullingworth, Pearson, Austin, Canoville, Semple, Church, Clarke, Sleath, Boyes, Weir-Daley, Newsham, Davidson, Frost, Lee, Dudfield, Drury (gk).

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Great attitude - keep up the good work Jason.

DL

dubai camel

• View Profile
I hope some of the fans read this and learn that you don't have to rant and rave to be passionate about the game and your team. As JL rightly says after a while it goes in one ear and out the other - it certainly does not motivate.

Of course on the odd occasion you do need to raise your voice, you will be listen to....

Encourage words Mr Lee