Author Topic: its awfully quiet on here  (Read 18986 times)

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: its awfully quiet on here
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 04:09:34 PM »
Have to say that the game they admitt to be playing in the transfer market will be fantastic if it works but it be a totel disaster if it dont pay of and there is a fine balance to do or bust.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
I'm totally behind them. I think you'll find this summer that players are pricing themselves out of the market as most clubs are having to cut their playing budget. I would say that there will be plenty of talented players without clubs right up to the start of the season and the longer they are without a club the less money they'll accept/be able to command. The only clubs getting players in now are those with silly money to throw around i.e. Gainsborough, for the rest (which is a large majority) it's a case of playing the waiting game. An example here

The problem is we are very much a footballing outpost unlike Kiddy they will have loads of local players looking, and can afford to hold out. If we wait too long and are offering a small wage players who live too far away wont be able to afford to come and play for us. I'm not panicking yet but I must admit to being a little concerned at the lack of activity.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it (yet).Kings Lynn have today made their first signings of the summer,both coming from Redditch,so their obviously prepared to travel,and from the talk coming from Lynn our budget is likely to be higher than theirs.Incidentally,for all those on here who thought Rob and Hursty should have spoken to those players not required,Lynn have retained non of last seasons squad,and the manager(Carl Heggs)has no intention to contact any of them as they are out of contract,as of course were ours.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »
There will still be plenty of good clubless part-time footballers come mid-July realising they will have to drop their pay demands to get fixed up with a club.

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 09:50:59 PM »
Nothing apart from signing Butcher, these "Twin Managers" have done has  impressed me, in fact they have disappointed me by the way they have gone about  releasing players, what I mean by that,  is quotes from players saying the first they knew they were been released was when they read it on the web-site, what players do they think will be clambering to play for them, if this is a example of how they treat players, these "Twin Managers" have a lot to learn about managing players, GHM, keeps saying in his posts, that come the end of july, there will be players begging to play for BUFC, at a cheap price I presume !!!!!!!!,  time will tell GHM, same with our "Twin Managers", they have a lot to live up to, being as our chairman said he wanted a manager who had experience in the lower leagues, then goes and gives the job to two men who have barely six months experience in any league, they took over at Ilkeston a established team, a team put together by the departing manager, as I have said before, time will tell, but don't hold your breath!!!!.

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:17 PM »
All this inactivity on the transfer market , and silence from the "Twin managers",will not encourage fans to pay out money in advance for season tickets, we are back to the 1st season when T T took over as manager,        [ but without the debt and CVA, ]  no players signed for the season, so whoever they sign, which will be a new team, they will have to gel together as a team, that could take up to christmas, I'm not very optimistic at all about the coming season.

Nothing apart from signing Butcher, these "Twin Managers" have done has  impressed me, in fact they have disappointed me by the way they have gone about  releasing players, what I mean by that,  is quotes from players saying the first they knew they were been released was when they read it on the web-site, what players do they think will be clambering to play for them, if this is a example of how they treat players, these "Twin Managers" have a lot to learn about managing players, GHM, keeps saying in his posts, that come the end of july, there will be players begging to play for BUFC, at a cheap price I presume !!!!!!!!,  time will tell GHM, same with our "Twin Managers", they have a lot to live up to, being as our chairman said he wanted a manager who had experience in the lower leagues, then goes and gives the job to two men who have barely six months experience in any league, they took over at Ilkeston a established team, a team put together by the departing manager, as I have said before, time will tell, but don't hold your breath!!!!.

Thats 2 positive posts then - look forward to your further contributions !!!!

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
I'm totally behind them. I think you'll find this summer that players are pricing themselves out of the market as most clubs are having to cut their playing budget. I would say that there will be plenty of talented players without clubs right up to the start of the season and the longer they are without a club the less money they'll accept/be able to command. The only clubs getting players in now are those with silly money to throw around i.e. Gainsborough, for the rest (which is a large majority) it's a case of playing the waiting game. An example here

The problem is we are very much a footballing outpost unlike Kiddy they will have loads of local players looking, and can afford to hold out. If we wait too long and are offering a small wage players who live too far away wont be able to afford to come and play for us. I'm not panicking yet but I must admit to being a little concerned at the lack of activity.

You may not be panicking but some are, lets just hope that Rob and Paul don't panic. If we don't/didn't take this policy what do you suggest as an alternative?

1) Keep the overpaid, underachieving squad from last year? A definite no from me on that one

2) Go over budget and put the club at risk E*vans style? Even if DN and NK allowed this do you really want the club put at risk for possible success? A non starter.

3) Panic and get players in they want now on whatever money they ask for? That way they'd get maybe half a dozen players and blow half the budget. They'd then have to find some gems with not much money left to get the other dozen they need to make up the squad. For me this is more risky than waiting, what if the highly paid players perform like this year? What if the rest are blatantly not up to scratch?

4) Bring in players now within budget but not quite up to the standard required because that is all the wages allow? They then find out in a months time the players they really wanted are signing for other clubs on wages the club could have afforded if they had waited. This is probably the best option but would mean we would be struggling to make an impact this season.

Does anyone especially those that are criticizing have any sensible alternatives? For me this is the best option with a reduced budget. We're not paying silly money out to players who are not interested when the going gets tough (like last year) and will get players who want to play for the club not just a pay packet. I'm not that naive to know that most players are mercenary but there are loyal players out there, the likes of the Cammell Laird players who stayed on last season despite the club going amateur. And as I said we are not alone in cutting budget and telling players no to excessive wage demands, the majority of clubs are doing the same so I don't think we'll be missing out. The credit crunch is taking its toll on football, at non-league levels especially. Coupled with the overspending by most clubs to keep up being unsustainable (take a look at the number of clubs that have gone into liquidation/administration or are on the brink of) this year is looking like the start of a return to something approaching normality.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
Exactly as i feel WP. Iwould not be surprised to see one of the players who rejected terms back for the start of season on terms offered. Good managers and business men do not panic.  Holdsworth is widely predicted to be outstanding manager creamboy, yet his work at Ilkeston was overshadowed by S&H . He left Ilkeston in 9th place but S&H took them to promtion with if you beleive other webb sites possibily the best footballing team in the UNI.,  thats good enough for me.  WHO would you have picked for the job creamboy?

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »

You may not be panicking but some are, lets just hope that Rob and Paul don't panic. If we don't/didn't take this policy what do you suggest as an alternative?

1) Keep the overpaid, underachieving squad from last year? A definite no from me on that one

2) Go over budget and put the club at risk E*vans style? Even if DN and NK allowed this do you really want the club put at risk for possible success? A non starter.

3) Panic and get players in they want now on whatever money they ask for? That way they'd get maybe half a dozen players and blow half the budget. They'd then have to find some gems with not much money left to get the other dozen they need to make up the squad. For me this is more risky than waiting, what if the highly paid players perform like this year? What if the rest are blatantly not up to scratch?

4) Bring in players now within budget but not quite up to the standard required because that is all the wages allow? They then find out in a months time the players they really wanted are signing for other clubs on wages the club could have afforded if they had waited. This is probably the best option but would mean we would be struggling to make an impact this season.

Does anyone especially those that are criticizing have any sensible alternatives? For me this is the best option with a reduced budget. We're not paying silly money out to players who are not interested when the going gets tough (like last year) and will get players who want to play for the club not just a pay packet. I'm not that naive to know that most players are mercenary but there are loyal players out there, the likes of the Cammell Laird players who stayed on last season despite the club going amateur. And as I said we are not alone in cutting budget and telling players no to excessive wage demands, the majority of clubs are doing the same so I don't think we'll be missing out. The credit crunch is taking its toll on football, at non-league levels especially. Coupled with the overspending by most clubs to keep up being unsustainable (take a look at the number of clubs that have gone into liquidation/administration or are on the brink of) this year is looking like the start of a return to something approaching normality.

good points there. What scares me about their judgement is not to even ask some of the players from last year what they wanted. I would of atleast offered Wes Parker, Jon Rowan and Ricky Miller a deal of some kind and the fact that they wanted to keep Matt Bloomer over anyone really scares me. He was poor and really just wasn't good enough.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
Agree about Bloomer Richie p , But any club competing with Trinity will finish up in dept. N

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
Wow all I said was that I was concerned about the lack of signings. I don't think I suggested we should pay over the odds for any players. Don't just sell them a wage packet sell them a dream (especially the younger players). When I was a young un and we picked teams down the local footy pitch you wanted first pick to get the decent players, as far as I'm concerned the same applies to us now.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »
Wow all I said was that I was concerned about the lack of signings. I don't think I suggested we should pay over the odds for any players. Don't just sell them a wage packet sell them a dream (especially the younger players). When I was a young un and we picked teams down the local footy pitch you wanted first pick to get the decent players, as far as I'm concerned the same applies to us now.

I think that's a rather simplistic view of things myself.

To be fair it wasn't just you I was responding to, the criticism of managers before a ball is kicked or even a signing made is shocking even for Boston fans standards. Here's an idea a little off the cuff, lets see how the team perform before criticising!! It was the same when Welsh took charge, people complaining without giving him a chance and some even saying he'd take us down.

I think a general need for a bit more patience is needed and maybe a bit more of a glass half full approach, far too much negativity around which helps no-one.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
It may be quiet, but the good news is there are non word association threads ..... as yet  :D

Seenbetter

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »
Some great observations/comments. I would like to play devils advocat for a moment which in no way affects my trust/support for the management. I assume that when two managers are appointed they are not given one salary and then split it between themselves. Each one will require their own individual reasonable pay day. So, if we only had one manager to pay would the money saved have been used to attract a higher standard of player than we can currently afford. I assume N and K considered this when appointing the managers. I would just like to see other peoples views on this line of thought.
 ??? 

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »
From my experience Seenbetter when it comes to value for money in the labour market nobody does it better than builders. I am sure that N&K have now sussed the football market  and we will not be carrying a load of dead wood from now on.