Author Topic: Today's Echo. Exclusive: Boston chairman ready to fight Grimsby for compensation  (Read 5773 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
SportsEcho Image: SportsEcho
Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 07:00

Exclusive: Boston chairman ready to fight Grimsby for compensation for managers
Boston chairman ready to fight Grimsby for compensation for managerial duo
Boston United chairman David Newton.

BOSTON UNITED unleashed a spectacular curve-ball in Paul Hurst and Rob Scott's move to Grimsby Town by insisting their want-away managers are still under contract at York Street.

The duo had appeared primed to join the Blue Square Premier Mariners yesterday, when the club announced they had resigned from the Pilgrims' hotseat with immediate effect.

But in a stunning twist late last night, chairman David Newton told the Echo there was no mechanism within their contracts which allowed them to walk away from the non-league club.

It remained unclear whether Grimsby would still officially unveil the duo this morning after they both watched the Mariners' 2-2 draw against Gateshead from the Executive Box at Blundell Park last night.

Boston have been forced to take a hard-line stance in a bid to claim compensation for the duo, with the club third in Blue Square Bet North with seven games to play.

While Newton does not want to stand in Hurst and Scott's way of progressing their managerial career, he is keen to protect Boston's interests.

"The fact remains that Paul and Rob are still contractually tied to us because there is actually no mechanism within their contracts for them to resign," he said.

"As such they are still our management team and we have made our position clear to Paul, Rob and Grimsby and the ball is in their court now."

"We do not want to stand in Rob or Paul's way, but the fact remains they would be leaving us at time when we are third in the league and involved in the thick of a promotion race," said Newton.

"That potentially is worth £100,000 to us, although that is nowhere near the figure we are asking for. We are just merely trying to protect ourselves, which we have a duty to do.

"It's now down to Grimsby to come and talk to us and come to some arrangement."

It is thought that Newton's stance has been fuelled by Scott's refusal to accept terms that would have ensured dialogue with Grimsby over compensation could have begun.

Those events took place on Sunday morning when Boston officially rejected an approach by the Mariners to speak to Hurst and Scott about the possibility of succeeding Neil Woods, who was sacked in February.

"We received an approach by Grimsby on Sunday morning," explained Newton.

"That approach was rejected. With us second in the league with seven games to go, we had to do what was best for Boston United.

"Rob and Paul expressed a wish to speak to Grimsby so I put a set of terms to them, which I can't reveal.

"However, those terms were unacceptable to Rob. I think he felt we were putting up a barrier.

"That wasn't the case. And I don't think those terms would have been insurmountable to Grimsby.

"However, Rob didn't see it that way and that is what led to their decision to leave the club."

LPRA

• View Profile
Yet again, David Newton does the right thing.  ;D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Maybe we should have let Scott go, but kept Hurst :D
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Officially unveiled as Grimsby managers this morning as expected.Grimsby Chairman insistent that no compensation is owing to Boston United.Keep fighting Mr Newton,and if Grimsby won't do the right thing,let the F.A.sort it out(did i really say that?)until then S&H should not be allowed to take over at Grimsby and should be placed on gardening leave.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Wonder if Scotty wanted to be sacked? After his verbal to a fan on Saturday at half time!

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
All through the interview it is the name Rob that was against whatever DN put forward,no mention of Paul in any of it so it is obvious who pushed for the move and who lied about commitment to BUFC...

Well done DN,as was said at the end of last season,how many chairman have the crowd chanting their name at matches??

In Dave we trust  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:08:29 PM by Crazy Neil »

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile

Pilgrimlady77

• View Profile
It does sound like Scott pulls the strings, I wonder how long it will be before hurst grows a pair and they part company, I'm guessing only a few seasons  ???

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
I do get the feeling though that need could manage without the other; Clough and Taylor anyone??

chris47

• View Profile
Officially unveiled as Grimsby managers this morning as expected.Grimsby Chairman insistent that no compensation is owing to Boston United.Keep fighting Mr Newton,and if Grimsby won't do the right thing,let the F.A.sort it out(did i really say that?)until then S&H should not be allowed to take over at Grimsby and should be placed on gardening leave.

Perhaps some of us should email the FA asking if this is acceptable.

Seenbetter

I think if they were under contract to Boston United until the end of the season and there was no facility in the contract which allowed them to resign then compensation should be sought from SnH for breach of contract. As for Grimsby I don't know how accountable they are. They obviously have no honour code and should be screwed for as much as possible. As for not asking for £100.000, I think they should be asked for £250.000 because if it should end up going to arbitration and we win then the amount awarded is most likely to be reduced anyway.
They clearly have no honour and couldn't really give a stuff about BU, it was just a stepping stone and should be a warning to Grimsby as to what Scott could do to them.

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
From the Boston Target Sport Twitter at 1651

"Spoken to David Newton again this afternoon.  He is NOT backing down.  Check out tomorrow's Echo."

The ex-managers signed a contract and no doubt would be the first ones to demand compensation had they been sacked.   It works both ways and they are in breach of the contract they signed.

goodyntu

• View Profile
I hear Fenty says we have no right to compensation as they both resigned, but then why do other clubs pay compensation to other clubs when appointing managers. Surely rather than paying an X amount, why do they not get the prospective manager to just resign and save them money, like Grimsby have tried. There must be a clause that prevents this, which i'm sure DN is working on trying to find. I can see this dragging on for a while.

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
"Posted by: goodyntu  Posted on: Today at 06:25:25 PM 
Insert Quote 
I hear Fenty says we have no right to compensation as they both resigned, but then why do other clubs pay compensation to other clubs when appointing managers. Surely rather than paying an X amount, why do they not get the prospective manager to just resign and save them money, like Grimsby have tried. There must be a clause that prevents this, which i'm sure DN is working on trying to find. I can see this dragging on for a while. "

The following information taken from this website: 
http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/managers-moving-clubs.htm

The manager is under contract with another football club
It is this situation which can cause the most conflict as is often a scenario which comes into play when a club wishes to appoint a highly sought after manager. The small group of real high profile managers will in most instances be employed with a club, so if another club wishes to gain their services they will have to pay the price.

Do clubs have to pay a transfer fee for a manager for a manager who moves clubs in this manner?
If a football player under contract were to move in this manner the clubs would pay a transfer fee – the terms of which will be agreed upon by the two clubs. For a manager to move there is no specific transfer fee but the clubs do have to come to an arrangement.

What kind of arrangement?
The club who gains the services of the manager will be required to pay a fee to compensate the club who is losing the manager. The amount of compensation is a matter which will be agreed between the two clubs.

What is this compensation for?
When the manager leaves the club to which he was originally contracted he will be deemed to have terminated his contract early (a breach of the contract) meaning that the club will need to be compensated for this loss.

What happens if the clubs cannot agree an adequate amount of compensation?
If the manager moves between clubs and the clubs cannot agree on an adequate amount of compensation then due to the early termination of the contract the original club will be able to bring the following claims:

Breach of contract – by the manager
Inducement to breach the contract – by the club obtaining his services
It is likely that both these claims are to be heard by a disciplinary tribunal which will decide on the adequate amount of compensation to be paid.

I hope that David Newton doesn't back down and continues with the claim for compensation.

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile

Artemis - don't forget there always seems to be different rules applied when Boston are concerned!