Author Topic: Canoville: We can bring new players in ( Today's Standard)  (Read 5687 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Canoville: We can bring new players in ( Today's Standard)
« on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »

Lee Canoville says he has cash available to bolster the United squad

Published on Wednesday 23 March 2011 08:43

BOSTON United boss Lee Canoville has revealed he and joint-coach Jason Lee have been given the thumbs up to bring new players into York Street as the club prepares for the final stretch of the season.

“We’ve been told that as long as we don’t break the bank or smash the budget we will be able to bring a player or two in,” Canoville told The Standard.

“We haven’t targeted anyone just yet, but if someone comes up the chairman has said we could have a chance of bringing them in.”

Canoville is swiftly getting used to life as a football manager.

He was unveiled to the Pilgrims’ squad as the joint acting boss until the end of the season last night, before hurrying to the Jakemans Stadium to take in the second half of the reserves’ 1-0 victory over Hykeham Town.

And one thing Canoville hopes to achieve is a stronger link with the second string.

“We didn’t have anything to do with the reserves under them (Rob Scott and Paul Hurst).

“I’d like to get some links going between the two sides. There’s no incentive for the reserve players to really step up to the first team at the moment.”

Ricky Drury is an exception to the rule as he was drafted into the first team for their 2-2 draw with Harrogate on Saturday, but that was enforced as Dan Haystead was suffering with ankle ligament damage.

Harry Deane has also made the occasional substitute appearance for the first team.

One player who did catch Canoville’s eye was Mickey Stones, who scored the winner in last night’s contest.

“He scores a lot of goal,” Canoville added.

“It’s nice to watch them play as we don’t ever get the chance.

“I just read in the programme that he keeps on scoring and wanted to have a look.”

And proving that there’s no rest for the wicked, Canoville and Lee will tonight travel to Corby to watch them host Saturday’s opponents Solihull Moors.

Canoville also confirmed that he hopes to extend the loan spells of his central defensive partner Kevin Austin (from Darlington) as well as Rotherham midfielders Grant Darley and Jamie Green.

Shippy92

• Just another Snapper...
    • View Profile
Re: Canoville: We can bring new players in ( Today's Standard)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:27:13 AM »
Have to say I am pleased that they are going to look in the reserves for future players.... it makes an awful lot of sense and cannot believe scott and hurst never looked themselves!

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
i agree whats the point of them othewise

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
Great news about the reserves,there are at least a couple of the players who I feel need to be given a chance,MS is one and Tom Cope the other,a tall centre half who commands the back line well IMO ...

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
I thought Corby were playing Vauxhall Motors tonight ?

Artemis

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Corby played Solihull last Saturday and lost at home 2-0.

Tonight it is Corby v Vauxhall Motors

YellowHills

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:19:21 PM »
Good to see Canners has some footballing nous about him

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:33:22 PM »
Still useful for them to look at Vauxhall as we have to play them last.

For me, Canners has said all the right things in that first interview - we will probably need to bring in a keeper for a few games so it's good to know there is money available.  If we can get the three current loanees extended until end of season (end of play offs?), that would be fantastic.

Good news that they will look at the reserves - what's the point of having a 'reserve' team if there's no chance to progress to the first team?  There must be some costs involved, especially using York Street for home games, so it would be nice to see some return on that outlay.  A few youth teamers have progressed to the reserves but they need to be able to continue that progress.  

Under S&H I wondered whether they just felt the reserves weren't good enough for the first team (in which case, surely find some better reserves?), but it seems that there might not have been any proper links between first team and reserves.  Ideally, you'd want the youth team, reserves and first team playing similar styles, so surely having them train together at least occasionally would help that?

If we end up guaranteed a play off place with a couple of games left, with no chance of winning the title, it might be worth looking at one or two (Stones? Sevilha? maybe Tricks?)

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
 :bunny Great News that the duo are looking at the second string  :)

scottbufc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
I find it strange that the same people on here who want the club to go up this season also want the club to be looking at Lincs League players! There are five levels of football between the Conference and the Lincs League. The lads in the reserves are decent young players but none are going to do anything in the Conference, there is not a gulf in class but certainly a difference in class between the two.

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
I find it strange that the same people on here who want the club to go up this season also want the club to be looking at Lincs League players! There are five levels of football between the Conference and the Lincs League. The lads in the reserves are decent young players but none are going to do anything in the Conference, there is not a gulf in class but certainly a difference in class between the two.

Mickey Stones came from Sleaford before Miles Hunter,MH hasn't done too bad...

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 07:45:53 PM »
Didn't Stones sign for us a few seasons back anyway? Or was it just on trial...

He's also capable of playing centre back.

Why not give one or a two a go? There's bound to be a hidden gem somewhere... not everyone has to come from a higher league!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
He signed for us 1st season Tommy Taylor was here but don't he played.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
The point is that our reserve team should consist of players coming up from the youth team, fringe players from the first team and other (local?) players who are capable of pushing for first team places.  If it only has players who are Lincs League standard, that's fine from a Community point of view but no use to the club in terms of producing players.

The team might be in the Lincs League but they are walking it - too good for that level, so maybe good enough for a higher level?  Perhaps they should be in a reserve league equivalent to other BSN reserve teams, or similar to the one the youth team are in, but could we afford the travelling?