Author Topic: Well done Scott and Hurst  (Read 3843 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Well done Scott and Hurst
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
Well done Scott and Hurst for your effort and success. They will be a hard act to follow, fantastic brand of football and installed a winning ethos into a young squad. After listening to the BBC interview the managers weren't approached until SUNDAY. Personally give Steve Welsh the job till the end of the season and then look for someone permenant (hopefully to manage at BSN level.) Good news to come out of this Anthony Church will be staying, approach or no approach from another club.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:57:04 PM by Carl Newell »

faraway pilgrim

• View Profile
Re: Well done Scott and Hurst
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
I dont think any players will be leaving before the season ends, but then they all become free agents

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
Just got home to find out the managers are gone and am GUTTED! Was expecting some club to get them at the end of the season but the timing couldn't be worse! Was really looking forward to Solihull but now feel totally deflated.   I knew these two would always end up plying their trade at a higher level but thought they would at least await the outcome of this season as yet another promotion looked a distinct possibility. Still the problem of supporting most football clubs is that whenever players/management become successful with their job they move to a higher level. Ilkeston experienced this and now it's our turn. Probably Grimsby fans will be feeling like this in a couple of years.
 When you think back to the last season under Tommy Taylor, the duo built a pretty damn good squad on a reasonable budget and the club is in the much stronger position, how often does a new manager take over at second in the league?

Despite the terrible timing, I wish Rob and Paul well for the future, having bumped into them scouting at an Eastwood v Guiseley game  they seemed down to earth, approachable blokes, I hope the next manager continues the good work.
 Once again we put our trust in David Newton to make the right decision!

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:33:17 PM »
I would like to add my thanks to Rob and Paul for doing such a good job in helping to revive this club's fortunes over the past 20+ months. It would appear the departure could have been conducted a little better on their part but we don't know the full story. Wishing them the best of luck for the future and I can fully understand their wish to move on.

I am confused as to where this leaves them though. The club has to accept their resignation and according to Mr Newton despite having offered their resignation they are still contracted to Boston United. As such they're not going to be able to join any other clubs yet?

I think the logical conclusion to make here is that Dave just fancied a few headlines and that Rob and Paul will make a sensational return tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing that DN wanted compensation from GTFC but probably also a clause in their contracts that stated that BUFC players could not be poached, this is where I think this is where an agreement couldn't be made. I'm sure thats what Lincoln did when Alexander went to Peterborough.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
I sort of wish them well, but if they had stayed till the end of the season and got us up, then they would firmly be in the club legends category in a few years. As it is they are just 2 very good managers that fell for Grimsby's money.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
I just think of where we were when they took over and so believe you have to thank them for where we are now. Clearly the timing is not good for us, but jobs don't always come up when you want them and I can understand that they might want to get to Grimsby asap and suss which players they want to keep before the summer.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
My thoughts too John.

We were in a terrible mess on the field when they came in and they've almost got us back where we belong, in The Conference National.

They might not be everyones cup of tea personality wise, Scott especially, but  football management is'nt about popularity, its about winning games and with a 63%? success rate you can't really fault them.

They'll be a hard act to follow for sure.