Author Topic: FUNNY - Was this tackle really a red card offence?????  (Read 3998 times)

Mr Tickle

• View Profile

Hugo

• View Profile
Re: FUNNY - Was this tackle really a red card offence?????
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
By the letter of the law, yes. As it was an act of violence by a player during a game. Common sense would say that it wasn't however.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:44:52 PM »
The law permitting sending-off defines violence as "excessive force" and as the stewards didn't seem to think it was excessive, I wonder why the referee thought so.

I believe the inclusion of "any other person" in the law is to prevent actions such as Cantona's infamous drop-kick, and it was never intended to cover the reasonable apprehension of a miscreant.

Yet again, a case of the man in the middle believing he is above the law instead of the servant of the law. Why is an ounce of common sense too much to ask for?

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
I think that the streakers "tackle" is worthy of a red card.  :bunny

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
The F A have done it again!

They have decided that the red card was justified (so apprehending a pitch invader with a rugby tackle is excessive force amounting to violence) thereby saving the blushes of the referee, but that the normal punishment for a straight red card (three match ban) is not appropriate as there were exceptional circumstances.

So "You are a naughty boy, but you didn't do anything wrong!"

If the F A were to line up on Westminster Bridge wearing Jokers' outfits complete with bells and playing Rule Britannia with their backsides, they may look a little more logical than they appear when in the committee room.

God save us all from these idiots.

PS. The ICC decided that it is not an offence in cricket (Australia 2009).

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
The 'tackle' was excessive, so he deserved it. A simple trip, rather than manhandling him would have sufficed... or leave others to do their job?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:44 PM »
Disagee.  A smother-tackle and wrestling to the ground in one movement is extremely unlikely to cause injury. A trip on an unprotected shin or ankle is risking serious damage.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
He risked a neck injury... an awkward fall could've been nasty.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:41:58 AM »
But surely the steward/policeman/any-other-person would have done the same thing, as they always do in these cases.

The streaker seems to have been pretty impressed with the player's skill according to his interview.