Author Topic: Referee standards  (Read 5029 times)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Referee standards
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »
Last nights ref was once again truly awful. This has been the case for several years now yet the FA don't seem too interested in doing anything about it. Maybe the best solution would be to encourage players who are retiring to get their relevant paperwork/courses. Ex players would automatically have vast experience of the game, still have a reason to keep fit, still have a source of extra income (don't know how much a ref gets at this level maybe £100 or so??) and would command greater respect from players and fans.

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Referee standards
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
Crowd got a few wrong though, to be fair, like howling for Church to be allowed back on after he'd been bandaged up.

The referee has to inspect him for blood first and acted correctly in that case.

Still not great, but I've seen plenty worse....

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
Yeah but if you go watch a prem game the refs don't mess about that as soon as a clean shirt is on they let them back on with out checking look at man city at the weekend a soon as he had changed his shirt he was bac on

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »
A 4th official would inspect him in that case... something we don't have from our level downwards
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
It seemed to me that he favoured whichever team was attacking The York Street end - Solihull seemed to get most of the decisions in the first half, and we got most in the second.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
no i was rite behind him honestly nobody looked at him

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
Last nights ref was once again truly awful. This has been the case for several years now yet the FA don't seem too interested in doing anything about it. Maybe the best solution would be to encourage players who are retiring to get their relevant paperwork/courses. Ex players would automatically have vast experience of the game, still have a reason to keep fit, still have a source of extra income (don't know how much a ref gets at this level maybe £100 or so??) and would command greater respect from players and fans.

Agreed that the ref was poor though I recognised him as the ref from last season's ill tempered affair at home to Buxton when he harshly sent off Gareth Davies during an ill tempered game, so I wasn'texpecting too much. Last season he added seven minutes which gave Liam Parker time to score the winner and last night he allowed Danny's goal which struck his hand and then thigh to be bundled into the net.(I was sat behind York Street) In no way was it a deliberate handball but I was waiting for it to be chalked off, so if he was too good at his job we may have missed out on a point! (Either that or new FA guidelines allow our players to handball in the York St end, a la Rory Coleman)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
I'm not saying that the ref cost us the game or any other, they are poor not bias. There were also several decisons that went against us last night e.g 1st half when we were attacking the towned and their defender put the ball out for an obvious corner yet a goal kick was given, and to me the dangerous tackle from behind on either Church or Sleath on the half way line was a textbook red card and was the sort of tackle that should never been seen on a football pitch however the ref bottled it, wasn't sure what to do and went for the safe option and booked him, one of their players feel to the ground at 0-1 with nowhere to go despite our number 7 behind 2 foot away and he gave a free kick, having said that the majority of their play was fair and they were a hard working team who played good football but mixed it up well looking for the big lads up front when it was the best option.

Bartmac

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
If the ref and his assistants had been on their game they should've seen Church stamp on the chest/stomach of their No:8, shortly after he had been allowed on after having his injury seen to.

scot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
The Ref was not to blame for every misjudgment, their number 3 dived in front of us in full view of the linesman and a foul was given. I think that is the instance where you say he fell to the ground. Other than that i think both sides played some really good football and i cant wait for these new players to gell. Its just what we needed. I hope its not to late now the pack has closed up

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:48:20 PM »
Crowd got a few wrong though, to be fair, like howling for Church to be allowed back on after he'd been bandaged up.

The referee has to inspect him for blood first and acted correctly in that case.

Still not great, but I've seen plenty worse....

A 4th official would inspect him in that case... something we don't have from our level downwards

If that's correct then today's ref got it wrong twice. Lino let both their player with a bandage on and Hunter back on without the ref inspecting either of them. As I keep saying we need consistency and personally think the ref today got it right...

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:21:13 PM »
I think ur spot on woad didnt just ignore him for 5 mins just to be stupid

scot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
well the ref was well dodgy if you ask me. ignored all the time wasteing that they did until the goal was scored and did any body else see him pass the ball back to one of their players for a throw in double quick time in the 10 mins that remined. I thought that was against the rules. Then managed to book 2 of our players for next to nothing in the remaining minutes