Author Topic: GARETH JELLEYMAN is ready to answer Boston United's defensive SOS  (Read 2869 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
SportsEcho Image: SportsEcho
Friday, January 28, 2011, 07:00

GARETH JELLEYMAN is ready to answer Boston United's defensive SOS with an extended run at centre-back.

The Pilgrims' first-choice left-back was deployed in the heart of the back four during the 1-0 victory over lowly Redditch on Tuesday night.

It was the first time he had fulfilled the role since his Mansfield Town days in the Football League, but his performance was one of the few pluses in an abject team performance against the Blue Square Bet North whipping boys.

And with United's injury problems at the back still biting, Jelleyman and youngster Simon Ashton could team up again in the heart of defence at Stalybridge Celtic tomorrow (3pm).

"I've played there quite a few times before, when I've had to fill in for injuries, so I sort of know what I'm doing," said the former Wales international.

"But it was a good few years ago when I last played there. It was when I was at Mansfield.

"It was for about 15 games towards the end of the season. We were missing a lot of players. I came in, did quite well and managed to keep my place.

"Maybe I'll be doing it again, we'll see who's fit. But I'll prepare in exactly the same way. The job's not that much different to left-back.

"I used to be a lot more adventurous (as a left-back), but I'm more defensively-minded nowadays."

Needs must for Boston joint-managers Rob Scott and Paul Hurst, who last night were still on the hunt for a new defender.

Shaun Pearson and Lee Canoville are rated as doubtful for tomorrow's clash at Bower Fold with hamstring injuries while Kieran Murphy is still recovering from a fractured foot.

Ashton was only handed his first league start for the club after Cecil Nyoni cut short his loan spell and returned to parent club Sheffield Wednesday.

But Jelleyman believes the homegrown centre-back is worthy of a first-team place after impressing during a loan spell at Stamford.

"Simon has trained with us all season and is a great lad," added Jelleyman. "He's been out on loan and by all accounts has done really well."

Hurst, who was appalled by Tuesday's dire display, says his side face a massive test against Stalybridge – the only full-time club in the division.

The York Street boss took in Celtic's 2-2 draw at Droylsden on Monday.

"They've not had the best of seasons, but have made some changes and on Monday they looked a good team," said Hurst.

"They performed well against us earlier in the season when we won 1-0 thanks to a goalkeeping error.

"They just lacked cutting edge that day, but they pass it well and they've added a couple of players since then.

"At the moment it's looking like a massive test for us.

"Fitness is one of the things that comes into it. They should be fitter than us because they're full-time.

"They certainly looked fit on Monday. But it doesn't matter if they're full-time, part-time or have only just met – if we put in a performance like we did on Tuesday, I know what the result will be – it'll be a loss."

LPRA

• View Profile
Re: GARETH JELLEYMAN is ready to answer Boston United's defensive SOS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:42:47 AM »

Ashton was only handed his first league start for the club after Cecil Nyoni cut short his loan spell and returned to parent club Sheffield Wednesday.

That;s the interesting bit here - why did Big Cecil cut short his loan?

Bartmac

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »
Probably this league is a little too physical for him.

TASGOE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
Jelleyman is probably my man of the season so far. Like Canoville, Pearson and Weir-Daley he's consistently put in top performances which can't be said for the rest of them.

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »
That's the type of player a club needs,willing to help out anywhere to help the team,maybe we should forward this to Cecil  ;)

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Add Church and Sleath to that list TASGOE

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
LPRA, my Wednesdayite mate at work told me how their Academy director had watched Nyoni play for us and had been pleased with how he got on. So it doesn't sound like Cecil was under any pressure from them to return...