Author Topic: Can we win this?  (Read 6049 times)

qwerty

• View Profile
Can we win this?
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
The FA Trophy that is.

I don't see why we can't go close. I expect us to progress comfortably tomorrow and then hope for a nice home draw.

Some of the big guns will go tomorrow, maybe Grimsby or Dalington, Alfreton could slip up, who knows? some of them will.

Somebody took the 33/1 with Corals yesterday on us winning this outright.

I'm looking forward to a trip to wembley.

What do you all think?

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can we win this?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
I think the semis or the quarters are a possibility but I think there are too many top Conference teams in there, AFC Wimbledon, Luton, Cambridge, Grimsby, Wrexham, Mansfield etc to be winning it.

I think we would all trade a decent run in the Trophy for promotion, but hey ho, its the cup, anything could happen.

Has a team won the Trophy from outside the Conference before?

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

Has a team won the Trophy from outside the Conference before?

Burscough won it about 7 or 8 years ago; Hucknall also lost in the final a couple of years later.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
I think the final is at The Emirates this year.

Bob Lee

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »

That's it, as a Spurs fan I hope we get promotion, sod the trophy ;D

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »

It's on the Wembley Stadium Event Calendar for 2011 - Sat 7th May FA Trophy

I don't think Gloucester will be a push over though. It's always difficult to beat the teams you think you should beat easily.

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »
Agree with Ken, I'm expecting a battling game and not so much a pretty victory. But a victory nevertheless. 
On the subject of Wembley hosting events. I don't think they should hold the semi finals of the F.A cup at Wembley. Surely that was part of the dream so to speak, making the final at the big venue. I'm guessing it's just another money spinner for the F.A.

YellowHills

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFATrophy/NewsAndFeatures/2011/boston-gloucester-140111

They seem to think we're in the BSS so the answer is no, we can't win. We're not a real team  :D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
BSP Play Offs are at the Emirates
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
Winning the Trophy or gaining promotion?

9 out of 10 times I would go for promotion but this year I'm not so sure.

I think that winning the trophy and all that goes with it could be more benificial to us at this stage of our rebuilding process than gaining promotion.

If we gain promotion we have a lot of big changes to consider, larger playing budget with not much more income and whether to go full time or not is one of the big ones. We don't yet have firm plans for relocation, I think we need this, and the extra revenue it will generate before we could compete in the top tier of non league football week in week out, if promotion came this season I would take it but I think it could be too quick.

Winning the trophy, or reaching the final would give the club a much needed financial boost and really put us back on the map of non league football. This would lift the town and raise the profile of the club in the community, it would help swing public opininon in our favour when some of these hard planning decisions have to be made for relocation, (remember cuckoo land or whatever they were called).

Reading our managers comments on not having a budget to compete for promotion I'm wondering how many more rounds we will go before the trophy becomes more important than the league.

After saying that I don't see why we can't do both promotion and trophy :)

What would you prefer?

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »

The BSP play-off final is being held at the City of Manchester Stadium. However, before it was announced there were very strong rumours it was going to be at the Emirates.

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/playoffs.php?Dates

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
Quote from craigsingleton on Twitter (our commercial manager/programme editor):

" Let's hope the prospect of playing at Wembley remains intact after tomorrow. FA Trophy final is at Wembley, BSBP play-off final at Emirates. "

https://twitter.com/craigsingleton
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »

The BSP play-off final is being held at the City of Manchester Stadium. However, before it was announced there were very strong rumours it was going to be at the Emirates.

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/playoffs.php?Dates

Indeed, my mate has won a pair of tickets off a Talksport Competition: Question : Name the Grimsby manager?  for the BSP Final on the 21st May and was originally told it would be the Emirates but then Talksport called and said it's been moved to Eastlands, City of Manchester

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
love to have a good cup run, but i dout we will win it with our small and injured squad. personally i think we could get to the quarter finals which would be a good cash boost. the benefit of being outside the top league is that the top clubs are more interested in getting to the football league and may dismiss the tropthy and play a weakened side.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
Seems he Tigers fans have gone a tad overboard with the motivational speeches  :)

We've done it before, we can do it again. Break the bank and get on the fun bus people, let's send these big time charlies home with their tails between their legs, hurt the b*stards, make them wish they never set foot on the pitch.

DEESSSSSSSTTRRRROOOYYY! COYY!