Author Topic: Joint-boss Rob Scott highlights defensive crisis at Boston United  (Read 3941 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
SportsEcho Image: SportsEcho
Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 07:00

ROB SCOTT says a new signing is a must to alleviate Boston United's defensive crisis.

The Pilgrims could be without both first-choice centre-halves, Shaun Pearson and Kieran Murphy, for Saturday's Blue Square Bet North trip to Gloucester City.

Pearson missed Monday's 2-2 draw at Eastwood with a hamstring injury which, according to Scott, could rule him out for up to five weeks.

A less-than-fit Murphy took Pearson's place at Eastwood, but Scott believes he may have aggravated a long-standing foot injury.

"Shaun has pulled his hamstring. He could be out for a week, it could three, it could be five, I don't know yet, we'll have to wait and see," explained joint-manager Scott.

"Kieran's been carrying it (foot injury) for weeks and my theory is that it's long-term, not just something he can manage.

"He's had a few weeks off, but came back on Monday and was still struggling.

"Credit to him for trying to play, but he's struggling.

"We'll assess how things are during training on Thursday, but we need someone in because two of our regular centre-halves are injured. It doesn't take a genius to work it out.

"Whether the budget is there or not, we're going to have to bring someone in.

"Otherwise we'll end up playing with 10 men because we haven't got any centre-halves."

Scott admits it is unlikely he and Paul Hurst will be able to take advantage of their healthy relationship with Peterborough United.

The Pilgrims have taken goalkeeper James McKeown and winger Nathan Koranteng on loan from the League One club this season.

"We've looked at what they've got and they haven't got anyone in that position who we could take," added Scott.

"I don't think someone will be coming from there."

If a new signing doesn't arrive in time for the match at Gloucester's temporary home at Cheltenham's Whaddon Road, Scott and Paul Hurst could recall Simon Ashton from his loan spell at Stamford.

United have a 24-hour call-back option on the young defender, who could be paired in the heart of defence with club skipper Lee Canoville.

Read more about

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Joint-boss Rob Scott highlights defensive crisis at Boston United
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:38:54 AM »
Losing Pearson could really hit us hard as he has been fantastic for 18 months now.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:18 AM »
Lincoln have recalled Danny Hone so they might have one to lend  us (my god what am I saying!!!!!!!!!!).
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
"Whether the budget is there or not, we're going to have to bring someone in.

Not sure what the chairman is going to think to that! If the budget isn't there then make do and play a midfielder in defense if you have to!

Ashton has only played 90 mins for a us once (i think) against lowestoft and he did ok that match as I remember
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:14:34 PM by Lee Newell »

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
He also played in the Challenge Cup final last season and did OK. He should do well with Canners alongside him, to talk him through games. Give him a chance I say!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Bob Lee

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »
Scott and Hurst are registered I think.  They may have to lace their boots as a stopgap.

townender3385

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
I agree, ashton should get a chance, played excellent at lowestoft, hurst said so himself too.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
I agree, ashton should get a chance, played excellent at lowestoft, hurst said so himself too.

I was only saying on Monday we don't see many of the kids coming through like under the other managers.  Deane seems to have missed a chance to step up and we've let the other prospects fall to one side.  Whether the recent success is due to this style of management remains to be seem but I only want Ashton given a chance because he is good enough, not cos we are desperate as that's not fair on the kid.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
Well fair play to RS, when he said he was going to get someone in whether the budget is there or not, he has done and got someone in on work experience (and i presume not have to pay him) as the playing budget is spent

Pride of Lincolnshire

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
Crisis ? What crisis  :D Another clean sheet today. Well done to all.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
What's Liam Parker up to nowadays?

Has he recovered from his back injury?