Author Topic: O/T overtaking  (Read 8757 times)

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T overtaking
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:49 PM »
As my dear old mum used to say,it's better to arrive late in this world than early in the next..........

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 04:21:50 AM »
I never drive past my limit. I know my limits, and I keep to them. Whether thats at 30 or 100, I stick to what I feel safe with. I don't take risks, such as overtaking on a single lane road if there isn't a lot of spare room, and those that are dangerous piss me off.

However, I'd be much more angry at a drunk driver than a boy racer.

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
When I was driving from Sleaford to Louth in taxi on school run on a summers day I caught a car up doing 40mph.Was stuck behind him for ages through all the bends etc near Cadwell,as soon as the road was clear and it was safe I started to over take the car,now it had done the 40mph for miles but as soon as I got alongside him he floored it,I did 65mph to get passed him and pulled in front.Once in front and down to 60mph the car went back to doing 40mph as it fell into the distance,what the hell was the point of such a move?? Glancing at the driver as I went past him he was no boy racer,it was a pensioner so what was he thinking?? This happened more than once with different drivers and I just cannot see why they do it,all it does is endanger everyone on the road...

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
I find it super annoying when I'm going 60-65 on a single lane each side country lane, and someone tries to overtake me. I always floor it.

is that not dangerous?

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:01:03 PM »
When I was driving from Sleaford to Louth in taxi on school run on a summers day I caught a car up doing 40mph.Was stuck behind him for ages through all the bends etc near Cadwell,as soon as the road was clear and it was safe I started to over take the car,now it had done the 40mph for miles but as soon as I got alongside him he floored it,I did 65mph to get passed him and pulled in front.Once in front and down to 60mph the car went back to doing 40mph as it fell into the distance,what the hell was the point of such a move?? Glancing at the driver as I went past him he was no boy racer,it was a pensioner so what was he thinking?? This happened more than once with different drivers and I just cannot see why they do it,all it does is endanger everyone on the road...

This is exactly what I'm talking about, not the slight increase in speed which is probably a subconsious human reaction to being overtaken. In the incident I'm talking about it appeared that the three motorists were driving together, fairly slowly, waiting for someone to attempt to overtake them. I caught up with them and drove behind them for a while as, quite often, the rear car may be waiting for an opportunity to overtake.  I never tailgate as, in my opinion, that is both annoying and dangerous and should be classed as an offence, and carry an automatic 3 pts and fine. Anyway, as it was obvious they were happy to cruise at 55 - 60 mph all the way to Boston, I overtook them. When I realised the front car was alongside me, and matching my speed, I eased off the accelerator and was going to pull in behind it until I noticed that the other two cars were now blocking me from getting back in the lane. All three vehicles actually slowed as I did, so there was no option other than to complete the overtaking as quickly as possible.

I've seen it happen to other motorists on this same road across from Peterborough, and it has happened to me several times before. This was probably the worst incident as it is usually just one car involved.
It makes you wonder just how many fatalities were caused by this sort of 'game' over the years.

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
I find it super annoying when I'm going 60-65 on a single lane each side country lane, and someone tries to overtake me. I always floor it.

Same as when people try to undertake me on the motorway. If someone does that, they are challenging me to a race :)

There's your answer Ed ;)

Maybe Hugo's dad is a racing driver, Tash  ;)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »

When you read the posts on here, sent by presumed drivers who drive on our roads every day, You've no need to wonder why there are so many accidents, Do not these so called drivers who advocate putting their foot down when someone is trying to overtake are committing the crime of "Driving without consideration to other road users" Which could lead to a charge of  "Dangerous Driving" If the resulting action of putting their foot down causes an accident, They themselves could be hurt or even killed in the accident,  If you think and drive with this attitude towards other road users, You should have your licences taken away, Scum like you should not be allowed on the roads.

Agree with this.

The driving test should cover things like safe overtaking, motorway driving, and the dangers of tailgating....maybe it does nowadays  ???

Bob Lee

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
Don't get me going.

I hate bad drivers and drivers who put your life at risk.

I used to drive for a living and held a class one licence.  I found the worst drivers actually came from this area.

I hate drivers who pull out in front of you slow down and turn off 1/2 a mile up the road.

I hate drivers that overtake and force you to brake to avoid a head on smash, then flash you as if it's your fault.

I hate drivers that park on a country road facing you with full head lights on.

I hate drivers that trundle along in the middle lane of a motorway at 60mph.

Most of all I hate knowalls that come on this site and can see nothing wrong with the way they drive, and think it's ok  to do the above >:(

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »

This is exactly what I'm talking about, not the slight increase in speed which is probably a subconsious human reaction to being overtaken. In the incident I'm talking about it appeared that the three motorists were driving together, fairly slowly, waiting for someone to attempt to overtake them. I caught up with them and drove behind them for a while as, quite often, the rear car may be waiting for an opportunity to overtake.  I never tailgate as, in my opinion, that is both annoying and dangerous and should be classed as an offence, and carry an automatic 3 pts and fine. Anyway, as it was obvious they were happy to cruise at 55 - 60 mph all the way to Boston, I overtook them. When I realised the front car was alongside me, and matching my speed, I eased off the accelerator and was going to pull in behind it until I noticed that the other two cars were now blocking me from getting back in the lane. All three vehicles actually slowed as I did, so there was no option other than to complete the overtaking as quickly as possible.

I've seen it happen to other motorists on this same road across from Peterborough, and it has happened to me several times before. This was probably the worst incident as it is usually just one car involved.
It makes you wonder just how many fatalities were caused by this sort of 'game' over the years.

On occasions I have had to pull back in behind them as either came up to a bend due to not being able to get in cos they are speeding or another car came towards me,only for the pillock to then drop back to 40mph,I won't repeat on here what they get called lol....