Author Topic: O/T overtaking  (Read 8759 times)

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
O/T overtaking
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
Why is it that quite often, when you try to overtake on these country roads, the person you're overtaking suddenly decides to speed up?
I've noticed this happens a lot around here...human nature maybe, or just general pissed-off-ed-ness that somebody is overtaking?
Another football-less boring weekend! zzzz  :dan

Bob Lee

Re: O/T overtaking
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
You find that as well, I do not want to appear sexist but a certain gender seem to do it more often.  signed mrs Lee

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
I think you're right Mrs L  :D
There were 3 cars travelling ahead of me on that new road across from Peterborough, doing 55-60 mph. 11.30pm on Friday night so the roads are quiet.
I overtake, or try to, they all speed up. I'm doing 80 and they're alongside me, lorry approaching but still a long way off.
I'm doing 110mph by the time I manage to overtake, and the lorry driver is flashing his headlights in panic...whats all that about?   ???
This has happened several times over the years, always late at night,  but its getting more regular nowadays. Is it a new game for the boy-racers maybe?

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
I find it super annoying when I'm going 60-65 on a single lane each side country lane, and someone tries to overtake me. I always floor it.

Same as when people try to undertake me on the motorway. If someone does that, they are challenging me to a race :)

Poros

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
Cooooor!

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:58 PM »
I find it super annoying when I'm going 60-65 on a single lane each side country lane, and someone tries to overtake me. I always floor it.

Same as when people try to undertake me on the motorway. If someone does that, they are challenging me to a race :)

There's your answer Ed ;)
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »
If someone overtakes me in a rubbish car, i wont be happy until ive overtaken them back, even if it means driving miles past where I actually live.

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
i tend to just get on with my life and not bother when someone overtakes me.

I find it greatly reduces my chances of dying in a twisted ball of metal.

goodyntu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
If someone overtakes me in a rubbish car, i wont be happy until ive overtaken them back, even if it means driving miles past where I actually live.

why? what does it prove?

Bartmac

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »

why? what does it prove?

Just how stupid some folk are! I'm of the opinion that anyone charged with dangerous driving or  driving at high speed, should be banned from driving for life and their car sent to the nearest crusher >:(

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »
There are some sad individuals on here, grow up before you ship out. There are innocent road users out there who could be involved in your stupidity. >:(

Hugo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »

why? what does it prove?

Just how stupid some folk are! I'm of the opinion that anyone charged with dangerous driving or  driving at high speed, should be banned from driving for life and their car sent to the nearest crusher >:(

This isn't North Korea...

Far more dangerous is drunk driving, than driving quickly.

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »

When you read the posts on here, sent by presumed drivers who drive on our roads every day, You've no need to wonder why there are so many accidents, Do not these so called drivers who advocate putting their foot down when someone is trying to overtake are committing the crime of "Driving without consideration to other road users" Which could lead to a charge of  "Dangerous Driving" If the resulting action of putting their foot down causes an accident, They themselves could be hurt or even killed in the accident,  If you think and drive with this attitude towards other road users, You should have your licences taken away, Scum like you should not be allowed on the roads.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »

When you read the posts on here, sent by presumed drivers who drive on our roads every day, You've no need to wonder why there are so many accidents, Do not these so called drivers who advocate putting their foot down when someone is trying to overtake are committing the crime of "Driving without consideration to other road users" Which could lead to a charge of  "Dangerous Driving" If the resulting action of putting their foot down causes an accident, They themselves could be hurt or even killed in the accident,  If you think and drive with this attitude towards other road users, You should have your licences taken away, Scum like you should not be allowed on the roads.

So you've never broken the speed limit in your life? No one here is saying that its okay to go at 200mph everywhere, and most people, including me, will only overtake someone on a motorway or stuck behind a tractor.

XYU

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
Driving back to Boston from the Corby away game earlier this year was the usual convoy of Boston fans thats familiar to anyone who goes to local away games. On the Stamford-Spalding-Boston stretch of road most people seemed quite sensible, aware that there was no point in trying to go above the 55-60 we were all doing. Then I noticed an idiot doing a dangerous overtake on the car behind me. Soon enough he was tailgating me, desperate to get past at any chance possible.  There weren't any chances, but that didn't stop him, zooming past, forceing me to brake to give him enough room to swing back in front of me and still miss an oncoming car. Sure enough, the passenger had a Boston shirt on, so they'd been to the game. Haven't got a clue who they were though. I watched in disbelief as they then proceded to leapfrog up the convoy of cars one by one, seemingly each overtaking manouvre worse than the previous. The worst I saw was going the wrong side of the bollards in the centre of the road on the more or less blind section just before the first roundabout this side of Spalding. I lost sight of him there. But then just into Boston, at some traffic lights, who should I pull up behind, but the idiot himself. I then followed him till he turned into his house, not 20 seconds away from mine. Well, your stupid life-risking idiotic behavious really saved you some time there, didn't it?

I'd rather turn up 30 seconds later than not turn up at all.